Single Hero Missions & Hero Pool

By ThatRobHuman, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Hey Folks,

New to IA - ended up picking up all the box sets on the cheap and now saving up to get one of each of all the blister packs (I'm a completionist, what can I say).

Like many folks, I imagine, I have a dream of running a narrative super-campaign. I know that there are issues with running each campaign with persistent characters - something that I'm still mulling over, myself to keep it vaguely balanced and still fun and engaging. I'm still in the brainstorming stages, but a few ideas that I was wondering if anyone had any input on:

using a pool of heroes for the players to play throughout the campaign rather than sticking to the same characters - much like how most Mass Effect-esque games play - "Who are you bringing on this mission?" - Credits are pooled as normal, and I'm thinking of doing some XP split where the folks you bring get some portion and the rest gets pooled to be distributed as the rebel team sees fit. I also plan on throwing some math at threat levels as the campaign to smooth out the curve of a super campaign.

Has anyone ever considered coming up with 1-hero missions for each of the heroes to serve as a bit of an "Origin story" as a prelude to the campaign, just for the narrative fun of it?

A one-player mission sounds like a huge challenge for the Rebel player, and a bit of a bore for the IP. If you are short on players, better to have the Rebel player(s) just control two heroes for that mission.

Rather than do the one-person mission to introduce each hero and give them an origin story, I'd recommend introducing them as allies that will become "unlocked" as full heroes after finishing that mission. Just use the skirmish deployment card and add the threat cost to the IP player. Best example I can think of is to have Mak or Verena Talos be the Rebel who is actually in the cell in Imperial Entanglements, rather than just the generic Rebel trooper.

Not every hero needs to have their first appearance be with their own mission. Some heroes make their debut like Black Panther or Spiderman in Captain America: Civil War. They're a supporting character in that story that goes on to do other things.

Good points and clever idea with the cell bit in particular - keeps the narrative from being "flat" with everyone getting the same form-factor prelude. I dig it.