Enforcing Stacking Limits

By threemcs, in Horus Heresy

I am reading the rules for Enforcing Stacking Limits, but it seems a bit harsh to me:
Am reading correctly that if you violate the stacking limit, and a CoI comes about, you just lose the excess? Just like it died? Seems a bit steep, was wondering if I missed anything.

threemcs said:

Am reading correctly that if you violate the stacking limit, and a CoI comes about, you just lose the excess? Just like it died? Seems a bit steep, was wondering if I missed anything.

You didn't miss anything, excess just dies. So usually, overstacking only makes sense in situations where either you can afford the losses (which will be incredibly rare, unless we're talking about 1-2 guardsmen only), or where you plan to attack with the same units right away (which means that you need some way to remove the activation token from the area they're in before the attack order).

At least you get to pick which units will die, so you can keep the high-rank ones and lose the lowest-rank ones.

I've sometimes overstacked as a result of a Port Landing from the strategic map (12 combat rank). Dropping 4-5 units into a region that already has a 1-2, but said region is adjacent to Defense Laser(s), I always expect at least one unit to die. At least on one occasion, nobody died, so I ended up with overstacking. Luckily, there was Traitor Army units there to eliminate instead of units that don't come back.