Super Heavy Composite Beam Turbo Laser

By antisocialmunky, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Card attached for reference.

superheavy-composite-beam-turbolasers.jpg.ace4b53d5bbac8a3d108c9ed71196e89.jpg

I have a question about the wording for this card. It says 'The defender suffers 1 damage. This occurs once for each red or blue critical icon in the pool.' The wording is slightly ambiguous if it is 1 + number of crits or just number of crits. I could be interpreted to says 'defender suffer one damage and then repeat for each crit' or 'defender suffers one damage for each crit'.

It is one for each crit.

One way of thinking about it is that the first crit icon is the one that you need to trigger the effect (this being a critical effect). If you have at least one red crit icon in the attack pool at the start of the Resolve Damage step, you can resolve this crit effect (unless DCO). The crit says that the defender suffers 1 damage. And you do that once for each red or blue crit icon.

On 11/29/2019 at 1:06 PM, Grumbleduke said:

And you do that once for each red or blue crit icon.

Does that mean "red or blue" or "red and blue"? So for example if I have 2 red crits and 1 blue crit do I get 3 extra dmg or do I have to choose between the 2 red crits and the one blue crit?

Each crit icon on dice that aren't black gives you an extra damage. Your example would be 3.

This would make an amazing name for my non existant band.

The card says suffer "once" for each crit. I heard someone say you suffer each crit as it's own attack and can therefore do each suffer to a different hull zone. Is this correct?

On 3/6/2020 at 8:01 AM, Darth_Rahl_30 said:

The card says suffer "once" for each crit. I heard someone say you suffer each crit as it's own attack and can therefore do each suffer to a different hull zone. Is this correct?

Don’t call it an “attack,” that will confuse things. Basically, it works like this:

After Spending Defense Tokens, let’s say the final attack dice look like this: Red Double-Hit, Red Crit, Red Blank, Blue Crit, Blue Crit.

You have the Red Crit you need to declare the non-standard critical effect of SCBTs. So before damage is actually suffered (from the attack), your opponent must take one damage. Since no hull zone is specified, he can put it anywhere he wants, so he selects his rear zone (let’s say he’s only got two shields left on the whole ship, one rear, one on the left side). Now he’s down to one left side shield. He must repeat this process for the rest of the red or blue criticals in the pool (there are two more). So he takes another damage (choosing the left side, and depleting his shields entirely). For the last point of damage, it doesn’t matter much which hull zone he chooses, since he’s out of shields, so he just takes it on his left side, and takes a face-down damage card.

NOW you resolve the actual damage from the attack, which is 5 (1 double-hit and 3 crits), so he takes five more face-down damage cards.

On 3/12/2020 at 4:35 AM, Cpt ObVus said:

Don’t call it an “attack,” that will confuse things. Basically, it works like this:

After Spending Defense Tokens, let’s say the final attack dice look like this: Red Double-Hit, Red Crit, Red Blank, Blue Crit, Blue Crit.

You have the Red Crit you need to declare the non-standard critical effect of SCBTs. So before damage is actually suffered (from the attack), your opponent must take one damage. Since no hull zone is specified, he can put it anywhere he wants, so he selects his rear zone (let’s say he’s only got two shields left on the whole ship, one rear, one on the left side). Now he’s down to one left side shield. He must repeat this process for the rest of the red or blue criticals in the pool (there are two more). So he takes another damage (choosing the left side, and depleting his shields entirely). For the last point of damage, it doesn’t matter much which hull zone he chooses, since he’s out of shields, so he just takes it on his left side, and takes a face-down damage card.

NOW you resolve the actual damage from the attack, which is 5 (1 double-hit and 3 crits), so he takes five more face-down damage cards.

... OW. *sources Onager at FLGS and squeezes budget*

4 hours ago, mearn4d10 said:

... OW. *sources Onager at FLGS and squeezes budget*

Yeah. It sounds amazing. And maybe if you went in hard on Admiral Screed and Weapons Battery Techs and all that, you could really make it hurt, but if you aren’t all-in on critical hit generation, you’re probably just better off with the Orbital Bombardment Particle Cannons, which have a generally less useful critical effect, but cost two points less and have a longer Ignition range. I’ve used both pretty extensively, and I really tend to prefer OBPCs.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:32 PM, Cpt ObVus said:

Yeah. It sounds amazing. And maybe if you went in hard on Admiral Screed and Weapons Battery Techs and all that, you could really make it hurt, but if you aren’t all-in on critical hit generation, you’re probably just better off with the Orbital Bombardment Particle Cannons, which have a generally less useful critical effect, but cost two points less and have a longer Ignition range . I’ve used both pretty extensively, and I really tend to prefer OBPCs.

Yeah, blue ignition is miles easier to just flat out ignore more so if you have evades. Better suited to 600/800pt+ games.

The red ignition is where you really start asking questions of your opponent