The Consolidated Discord Announcements Thread

By Kyle Ren, in X-Wing

7 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Obviously not what I was talking about, is it? This thread here is only to collect the discord announcements. Maybe to discuss the content of them, but that's just barely happening here.

This thread is about the Discord announcements. Discussing what a bad idea they are is perfectly on-topic.

13 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

This thread is about the Discord announcements. Discussing what a bad idea they are is perfectly on-topic.

Is it, really?

Does discussion about the merit of discord announcement make it more or less easy to find said discord announcements?

edit: wow

the original reply: " Do the discord announcements themselves make it more or less easy to find the discussion of their merits?"

Edited by GreenDragoon
7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Is it, really?

Does discussion about the merit of discord announcement make it more or less easy to find said discord announcements?

Do the discord announcements themselves make it more or less easy to find the discussion of their merits? If anything, I think this just highlights why posting news to Discord and hoping that someone will copy that news to a public forum is a bad strategy for providing primary news.

Edited by JJ48

uh the Discord is also a public forum. If you go look for X-Wing on disboard or the other public discord server lists, it's on there. I am very sad that we don't have FFGJosh but we make do with our mod team.

I personally think GreenDragoon is correct that we should keep the salt out of here now that this is pinned. if you want to go fight with me about this in a separate thread I'll be happy to engage in the obligatory internet slap fight.

the next batch of questions will be sent to FFGOP on Sunday night, reminder to hop in there and ask your questions if you want them answered this week.

Edited by Kieransi

I suppose to clarify, the point of the announcements is to let the community know what FFG is doing. The point of posting the announcements to this thread is to allow people to know and discuss what FFG is doing. However, the process is also part of knowing what FFG is doing. In particular, FFG is releasing news through a new line of communication--one which is not well-suited for long-term storage and organization of either the announcements or discussion, and one which, being new, many players would not even know to look for--and not also releasing the information through existing, better-known lines of communication. This significantly colors the news by adding context that would not exist had it been released through a more commonly-known outlet or on multiple channels at once. It is not simply nit-picking about personal preference of news sources; it's part of the discussion of that news. Why was this news released in this way?

The beauty of someone doing the work to repost those announcements here is that you (and I) do not have to follow a Discord for announcements, and I for one heartily appreciate that.

So unless you're the one doing the reposting (and therefore anything you wouldn't be doing at all to get this information) I would like to politely request you quit spamming the chat with complaints so we can just get the **** announcements.

Yay! They pinned it! Once again ty @Kieransi for being willing to do this. :)

Will there be some smaller format option for X-Wing OP with shorter rounds, smaller squads to make for quick weekday tournaments and allow us TOs to get more sleep?

For the present, we see the Aces High scenario and side events filling this role for X-Wing.

Does this mean OP for Aces High is confirmed? Or just that they addressed the need for the format?

Will there be some smaller format option for X-Wing OP with shorter rounds, smaller squads to make for quick weekday tournaments and allow us TOs to get more sleep?

For the present, we see the Aces High scenario and side events filling this role for X-Wing.

Does this mean OP for Aces High is confirmed? Or just that they addressed the need for the format?

I'm guessing that's their answer for, "we consider this issue addressed," for short round tournaments. I don't think they're considering that as a 'Worlds Track' format, but it's hard to tell intention with their answers sometimes.

4 hours ago, Whalers on the moon said:

I think I'd read this as being an "organized" Aces High format, but I'm unsure if there will be full events for this or if it'll just be a side event

On 11/28/2019 at 5:25 PM, Kieransi said:

Last Monday at 2:51 PM

Aces High Pods Up to 8 players can sign up for an Aces High pod and play two rounds of the Aces High scenario from Epic Battles, with some minor adjustments. Players will play for 60 minutes and score match points according to their placement at their table (see below). The first round will be randomly paired with 4 players to a table. In the second round, the 1st and 2nd place players from each table will face each other, and the 3rd and 4th place players from each player will face each other. Once the second round is complete, players will receive prize tickets based on their standing within the pod. Match Points
1st Place – 8 points
2nd place – 6 points
3rd place – 4 points
4th place – 2 points
In the event of a tie, players add up the potential points for placements and divide them by the number of tied players. Example: There is a two-way tie for second place. The players add up the potential scores (6 points and 4 points for 2nd and 3rd place) for a total of 10 points, divided by the number of tied players (which is two). The two players tied would each receive 5 points. "Additionally, each player needs to bring 2 obstacles, 1 Hyperspace Marker, a 1 ship/upgrades equaling up to 80 points.
Evan Johnson-FFG

Edited by Kieransi

hey everyone since a lot of stuff has been happening over on the Discord... just wanted to share this so people who use this place and there can know what's up. This is my only way of contacting many of you other than through Discord so uh, yeah just an FYI it's not you, it's the server (not the X-Wing server specifically, the entire Discord server system). https://status.discordapp.com/

Investigating

We're experiencing an elevated level of API errors and are currently looking into the issue. 7 December 2019 - 10:22 AM PDT

Identified

Multiple engineers are online, investigating the issue. We are noticing anomalously high iowait across most of our database clusters all other instances leading us to believe that this is a google cloud issue. We are working on a mitigation, however latency is expected to be high as we are currently starved for IO resources. 7 December 2019 - 10:37 AM PDT

Update

Google is currently investigating an issue with SSD Persistent Disk in our region (what our database clusters store their data on). We are awaiting their resolution. Given the IO starvation, we are expecting continued API latency - as most if not all of our datastores are currently degraded. We will post updates as we get them. 7 December 2019 - 10:54 AM PDT

Attacking infrastructure is a really weird way to nerf droid swarms.

-----QUESTION-----What ship surprised you the most by differing from your expectations when it was released?

Max: Probably the V-19 Torrent. It was interesting that it got such a chilly reception at the start, but then people picked it up and they've come to really like it. It's just an interesting place for its points costs and slots and actions, and it took people a while to get used to it. We also dropped the points and that helped. It's had a very interesting life cycle and it's going to continue to change as the faction gets more ships.
Brooks: The TIE/sf fighter for the First Order, because while we had intended it to be usable without the SF Gunner, we didn't expect that to be a common style of play. And it has taken off more without the gunner than with it (except for Quickdraw). We intended a TIE/sf fighter without a gunner to be interesting and useful, but we didn't expect it to surpass the fighter with the Special Forces gunner.

-----QUESTION-----You said in previous Q&A sessions that you are aware of the negative play experiences caused by (weaker) existing tractor mechanics such as the quadjumper- Why did you decide to use the automatic assignment of tractor tokens for the Nantex's core mechanic?

We'll talk about this question in person on the stream tomorrow!

-----QUESTION-----
The promise of X-Wing 2.0 was that ship and upgrade costs could be altered after release. So far we have mainly seen this used on pilots and upgrades that are seeing a lot of play. However data from tools like list fortress and advancedtargetting.computer show that there is a fairly narrow band of “good” things which are flown excessively and the majority of pilots/upgrades never see play. What plans if any does ffg have to address this?

We will continue to update points based on a combination of tournament results, our own testing, and base use analysis. With that said, there are always going to be things that the meta decides is best, at least for a while. There's a big social factor at play in terms of what gets played at big events.

-----QUESTION-----Why are card packs not released along side of waves?

The upcoming card packs are actually scheduled to release alongside ships! The Never Tell Me the Odds and Fully Loaded packs are scheduled to release in mid-January, with the reprint ships from Wave 6, while the Hotshots and Aces pack is scheduled to release later in January, with the Fireball and Major Vonreg's TIE. The exact release dates and positioning of these products are taken on a case-by-case basis to determine what works best between logistics, production, sales, and the studio.

-----QUESTION-----
Some ships (eg TIE Defender, TIE Advanced-not-named-Vader, e-wings, many other “premium” types) are not seeing play due to their excessive cost, but are too close to a break point (i.e. triple defenders in a list) to be reduced in points. Are there plans to address this in the near future that you can discuss?

This question will also be asked in person on the stream tomorrow.

-----QUESTION-----
What factors apply to the decision-making process on what ships to release when and for what factions, for both reprints and new ships?

There are a wide variety of factors, including upcoming Star Wars materials, popularity of existing ships and factions, stock levels, sales numbers, etc. etc. etc. Unfortunately we can't get too much into the specifics on this point!

-----RANDOM FUN QUESTIONS -----

How do you organize all your ships, tokens, and cardboard in the FFG office?

We may have a before and after photo on this to share in the future!

Do you have a favorite epic scenario?

Max: Probably Intel Pickup! It's simple and it works well. I'm really proud of the simplicity of Intel Pickup. But from a theme standpoint, I enjoy Atmospheric Entry the most.

What card art is your favorite?

Max: The Leia Organa YT-1300 art from Hotshots and Aces. (Teaser!)

Brooks: The Damaged Hardpoint series of art

Which marmoset is your favorite?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/649364200405336094/651505473974960142/marmosets_eating_grapes.mp4

Max and Brooks: Back left.

Evan: Back center, peeping out over the top.

Edited by Kieransi
2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

We'll talk about this question in person on the stream tomorrow!

What time is the stream questions tomorrow?

6 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

What time is the stream questions tomorrow?

1PM Central US Time. The stream is supposed to be focused on the new ships coming out but they're going to be answering questions as well it seems.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/11/27/ffg-live-in-december-1/

Edited by Hiemfire

The next wave of X-Wing ships is planned for announcement next week

1 minute ago, Kieransi said:

The next wave of X-Wing ships is planned for announcement next week

Did they mention if they're planning on releasing the previews of the remaining 3 factions' content in Hotshots and Aces before the Pack drops? Not much time left.

8 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Did they mention if they're planning on releasing the previews of the remaining 3 factions' content in Hotshots and Aces before the Pack drops? Not much time left.

no mention of that, just that there'll be a wave announcement sometime next week.

also for next week, just a reminder, there's a stream on the 9th for new points

8 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

also for next week, just a reminder, there's a stream on the 9th for new points

I'm well aware. :D

Hey everyone! Word from Evan is that the announced three ships (from the article on January 8th) are the entirety of Wave 7. Waves in 2020 are planned to be smaller, generally speaking, but will come out about every two to three months. There will also be fewer reprinted first edition ships, as FFG is taking a break from those for a bit.

Hi anyone no when the official X-Wing app will be updated for the new points change all the 3rd party apps are updated already.

Edited by cody3545
On 1/11/2020 at 8:17 PM, Kieransi said:

Hey everyone! Word from Evan is that the announced three ships (from the article on January 8th) are the entirety of Wave 7. Waves in 2020 are planned to be smaller, generally speaking, but will come out about every two to three months. There will also be fewer reprinted first edition ships, as FFG is taking a break from those for a bit.

Ouch. That's going to be tough on new players who would like to play older material. . .

I'm beginning to think that FFG should break their promise and offer additional new pilots in 2.0 re-releases. I'll bet the reason they are taking a break is that those ships are not moving well.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, Darth Meanie said:

Ouch. That's going to be tough on new players who would like to play older material. . .

I'm beginning to think that FFG should break their promise and offer additional new pilots in 2.0 re-releases. I'll bet the reason they are taking a break is that those ships are not moving well.

That’s definitely the reason

forgot to post this yesterday when it was announced

Hello! We can officially lock in some release dates for January 31: looking at all of X-Wing Wave 6 (reprint ships, Vonreg's TIE, and Fireball) as well as the three card packs

Evan Johnson - FFG