FFG paints: good or bad

By AgentFulcrum, in Painting

I am a new player looking to get into FFG's Star Wars Legion this Christmas. the question I (and many others) have been wondering is whether or not the FFG paints are worth it and if the range of colors are good for the current models. are they or not?

First of all, welcome to Legion! It's hands down, the best miniatures wargame I've ever played, and you're going to love it.

I don't want to speak for the group, but I can speculate on your question a little...

I would be surprised if many of the painters in this forum purchased those FFG sets. By now, we've collected so many paints from so many different lines, that a pack of Army Painter bottles with Star Wars names isn't on the shopping list. That said, here's my two cents on what they're offering:

- They're a little pricey for Army Painter: The core set is $50/18 bottles, the two faction sets are $30/10 bottles each.
- They're specifically marketed for the first 2 factions, so they're not ideal for the Clones. That said, you can absolutely use the range and mix colors to get what you need for Clone Wars. So if you want your colors ready to go out of the bottle, then you're not going to have the proper range here for any of the factions :)
- If you don't mind some mixing, then absolutely skip the Imperial set. That's 10 bottles, 7 of them are greys, and they don't give you black? Just grab a black, a white, a brown and a red, and save yourself the money.

This is purely subjective, but with the exception of their washes, I am not a fan of Army Painter at all, so I wouldn't even consider paying more per bottle than Vallejo or Warcolours for them. You can find them online outside of these branded sets for much, much less than FFG's MSRP. I have dozens and dozens of AP bottles, and they're consistently difficult to mix. For me, they separate into viscous, oily medium and pigment, making it very difficult to control consistency. But I know lots of people who like them, so take this opinion piece for what it's worth :)

Looking forward to seeing your first units!

Army Painter paints are actually good, they just require a good shaking. You can also add mixing balls which helps. (just use stainless or glass, something that won't ruin your paint). Most of their colors for this set are new "unique" colors with the exception of white, metallics and shades. You are paying a slight premium for the "star wars" name as these are licensed paints. You can get a regular Army painter 50 paint set for around $90 on Amazon if you don't want to pay a premium to use the licensed colors. Their spray primer is really good too. I also use a lot of citadel paints and a few vallejo ones as well as Army painter.