Imperial figure Bonus move and stun condition.

By Commander Bumpsy Brobnar, in Legends of the Alliance

Just checking if our group played this the correct way. An imperial group of 2 storm trooper flyers with a stun condition are given a training bonus instruction at the commencement of their app turn. They are instructed to move x spaces adjacent to the rebel figure carrying the star map. The IP group had no line of sight to the Rebel Figure. We moved the group as instructed and then on their first activation move discarded the stun condition and on the second undertook an attack ignoring the repositioning instruction. Their turn ended with both of the IP figures adjacent to the rebel figure. There was some debate about the stun condition preventing the bonus move instruction. Views and opinions welcomed.

Edited by Commander Bumpsy Brobnar
Absence of Line of sight comment added

Without seeing the actual instruction list, I think you played this correctly.

Bonus Effects don't seem to be considered as "instructions." Page 14 of the LotA Rulebook makes a distinction between the "bonus effect" and the "instruction list."

Big thanks. It’s what we ended up agreeing on. The move and attack Completely wiped out the last rebel in this scenario. However the fact that the IP figures were Stunned and ended up in a position were they could move from their location regardless of a condition that states they cannot move and attack before discarding it seemed counterintuitive. After all, imagine a group is stunned , no amount of orders or persuasion will get to them to activate and perform actions beyond some external force picking them up, moving and depositing them in a new location. Perhaps that’s what happened, the Dark Side made this happen ! Oh well back to the drawing board of rebel battle plans.

In the original campaign mode, the Stunned condition simply forced the Imperial player to use one of their two actions to discard the condition. Usually, a human player would sacrifice a move action so that an attack action could still be performed. It's a little difficult to see this reflected in the LotA app due to the Imperial figures being buffed quite a bit. Extra movement is given to most of the figures and sometimes even extra attacks. Furthermore, moving and attacking seem to take place before the condition is even removed. However, in the end and considering the buffs, I think the outcome is similar to what a human player would do. Movement points were sacrificed so that an attack could still be made. The stunned condition in the app just isn't as powerful as it is in the standard campaign mode. To keep from causing confusion, frustration and disappointment, I wouldn't even use or show the condition card to other players in the game. Just use the token and read the rulebook. Your Troopers being stunned, shook their heads in disarray, but so eager to get a kill, jetted themselves into a position that might have left them vulnerable to Rebel attack. That would be my thematic interpretation of the app instructions.

Edited by dwaynedauzat

Just started playing imperial assault as you might have guessed. We are enjoying the game and looking forward to the continuing campaign. I guess there will be a few more rule discussions along the way. Its helpful to frame those discussions within the thematic climate of the Star Wars universe. Finally thanks for your helpful commentary.

Edited by Commander Bumpsy Brobnar