Has anyone put thought into a Kamino Table?

By Mad Maximus, in Terrain Building

I based all my Legion Mini's for an Endor/Forest map. But wanting to try something different for The Clone Wars. I'm going to use the FFG Premium Bases for all minis this time. My thoughs for some map/table ideas have been geared toward Ship Interiors, etc., but have decided to begin with a Kamino table, based on the Battlefront II Kamino Map. I started laying out a 6ft X 3ft map, trying to work out how deployment areas would work. From this first design, I plan to widen the bridge from the side platforms, so that 4" based Units, like the AT-ST could be used. Then the (2) large corners will include an interior area.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

KaminoMap.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mad Maximus said:

I based all my Legion Mini's for an Endor/Forest map. But wanting to try something different for The Clone Wars. I'm going to use the FFG Premium Bases for all minis this time. My thoughs for some map/table ideas have been geared toward Ship Interiors, etc., but have decided to begin with a Kamino table, based on the Battlefront II Kamino Map. I started laying out a 6ft X 3ft map, trying to work out how deployment areas would work. From this first design, I plan to widen the bridge from the side platforms, so that 4" based Units, like the AT-ST could be used. Then the (2) large corners will include an interior area.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

KaminoMap.jpg

I really like this idea! How much elevation change is there on the different platforms? I wonder if there is enough space to add scatter and some other terrain to give variety. Hard to wrap my head around without seeing it full size.

Due to the constrained ground area, some of these deployments look much more similar to each other. I think I Would add one more Large platform in each of the open areas towards the long board edges (in the gaps) possibly at a different height then the rest. I'd suggest having it printed out full size or drawing it out yourself and playing a few games on it.

Please keep us posted though!

31 minutes ago, Draycos said:

How much elevation change is there on the different platforms?

I'd suggest having it printed out full size or drawing it out yourself and playing a few games on it.

I think the main building (with interiors would be the highest), the center probably 3 to 4 inches lower, then the remaining 4 platforms around 2 to 3 inches below that. Possibly the same level as the catwalk around the center platform.

I do like the idea of printing this out to test play on.

It seems as though there's a lot of "wasted space," by which I mean about 1/3 of the board is impassable terrain which does not block LOS. While that might be fun once or twice, I don't think I'd care to play too many games on it. What if you were to make roughly half of the board represent the interior of a larger building? You could still have bridges running out to, and connecting, a number of satellite platforms but still have a larger area for scatter terrain and maneuver.

15 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

It seems as though there's a lot of "wasted space," by which I mean about 1/3 of the board is impassable terrain which does not block LOS. While that might be fun once or twice, I don't think I'd care to play too many games on it. What if you were to make roughly half of the board represent the interior of a larger building? You could still have bridges running out to, and connecting, a number of satellite platforms but still have a larger area for scatter terrain and maneuver.

I hear you Snuffy. While I will continue to work out this concept, I think I'll also try something like that. Bring more of the fight indoors.

You might want to map out Intercept the Transmissions too since that uses center of board and midway to the short edges on both sides. On the current set up 2 of the objectives would end up in the water.

Great idea though! Ive been fantasizing about making a Kamino table.

I too have been dreaming of making a kamino table, based off of the 2005 BF2's Kamino Map, but decided to do something else.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:17 AM, KommanderKeldoth said:

You might want to map out Intercept the Transmissions too since that uses center of board and midway to the short edges on both sides. On the current set up 2 of the objectives would end up in the water.

I figured the midway ones could shift up/down to the ramps leading to the center.

Are you the guy who made the thingiverse Kamino files? If not, there's a bunch of them based off of og bf2.

I love your pre-work on a Kamino map.

It's sure there is a lot of wasted space... but not for everyone : speeders could use this space, and jumppack units (when there will be) could jump through the space too !

I would add more plateforms to it, so that it's more playable. Playing, as you already have but even more, on the elevation changes.

I think the biggest flaw in the design here, is that you have interior spaces out on the very far corners. Keep in mind that virtually none of your game will take place in those spaces, so it would/could be a lot of work to design those interior spaces that never get used.

The battlefield would benefit, I think, from having the interior space be in the center, so that people have to go into it to fight. Then, you can stick landing pads in the corners for deployment, and have multi-level walkways and platforms leading to and from those areas, which would lessen your wasted space. But, you may run into issues with objectives and things, regarding the center interior spaces.

5 hours ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

The battlefield would benefit, I think, from having the interior space be in the center, so that people have to go into it to fight. Then, you can stick landing pads in the corners for deployment, and have multi-level walkways and platforms leading to and from those areas, which would lessen your wasted space. But, you may run into issues with objectives and things, regarding the center interior spaces.

I like that idea. I originally nixed the idea, as the interiors would be massive. But I suppose a smaller area is doable.

18 hours ago, Ilostmycactus said:

Are you the guy who made the thingiverse Kamino files? If not, there's a bunch of them based off of og bf2.

Nope, I've not made anything on Thingiverse, but I'll check it out. Perhaps ideas or scatter?

Just now, Mad Maximus said:

I like that idea. I originally nixed the idea, as the interiors would be massive. But I suppose a smaller area is doable.

Yeah, I didn't want it to sound like your idea sucked. I love the idea of interior spaces, and really wish there were more options like that for this game!

I just brought up that point because as we were setting up tables for the Prime Championship, someone pointed out that the game is rarely played in the corners or on the edges, so putting significant terrain in those areas only affects deployment, 99% of the time.

5 hours ago, Mad Maximus said:

Nope, I've not made anything on Thingiverse, but I'll check it out. Perhaps ideas or scatter?

Someone's made an entire set of platforms and walkways based off of the Kamino map in Battlefront 2. You might want to start there. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3961027