RitR - Questions on Destiny and Flotillas

By MalachiDrake, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Hi,

Hoping some experienced players / judges could offer some insight on the following things.

Destiny Tokens to Modify Dice - My understanding is that the attacker gets their dice pool and before resolving effects the first player could choose to (destiny) modify a dice, and then the second player could choose to (destiny) modify a dice, and then effects are resolved. e.g. Attacker rolls, first player gets a chance to spend destiny, then second player gets a chance to spend destiny, and then resolve the effects. Is that correct?

Flotillas - My understanding is that, rules as written, the only limitations on flotillas in a campaign of RitR is that you can have up to two and that they cannot equip your Commander; meaning the rules around being tabled if you only have flotillas left on the board as a tournament rule and would not apply by default. e.g. if the players wanted to follow the tournament rules this would need to be agreed beforehand as a house rule. We've had a heated few days debate as we are on our second round of a campaign and one side built fleets assuming they could just table by killing one ship and the other side has built assuming their flotillas will keep then on the board to push squads.

So a bit of a sticky mess.

Any clarity would be appreciated!

Destiny Tokens to Modify Dice - Destiny has its effect during the "Resolve Attack Effects" step of an attack. This is when most of the "attacker" effects happen; adding dice (other than Battery Armament), re-rolling, changing dice to a different face, spending dice on effects, spending accuracies etc.. It happens after the initial roll, after Intel Officer and Solar Corona, and before Defense Tokens are spent by the Defender.

If two of a player's effects happen at the same time, that player gets to choose the order. If both players have effects that trigger at the same time, the First Player resolves all of theirs, then the Second Player resolves all of theirs.

So if the First Player is the attacker, they roll their initial attack pool (then do Intel Officer/Solar Corona things), then can choose the order of their Attack Effects, including when to spend a Destiny Token for its effect. Once they have finished all their Attack Effects the Second Player can choose to spend a Destiny Token.

If the Second Player is the attacker, they roll their initial attack pool (then Intel Officer/Solar Conona), then the First Player gets to spend their Destiny Token and change a die, then the Second Player gets to do any Attack Effects, including spending a Destiny Token.

So, for example, if the First Player is attacking, the Second Player cannot use a Destiny Token to blank an accuracy die that has been spent to lock down a token. But the First Player has to do all their rerolls first. If the Second Player is attacking, the First Player can blank an accuracy straight away, but the Second Player can then do their rerolls and potentially fix that.

tl;dr - do all First Player "Resolve Attack Effects" then do all Second Player "Resolve Attack Effects."

Flotillas - this is a bit of a trick question. The normal tabling rules do not apply to RitR games (unless you are playing RitR tournaments) as they are in only the Tournament Rules. Even though everyone normally plays with the Tournament Rules, they aren't actually the standard rules for a game of Armada. A standard game ends according to the default Armada rules in the Rules Reference, under "Winning and Losing" (page 13):

The game ends after six rounds ... If all ships in a fleet are destroyed, ignoring squadrons, the game immediately ends...

So if a player still has flotillas left the game keeps going. However, as soon as the last ship on a team is destroyed the game ends right then. You don't play out the rest of the round - you don't do the other player's ship activations, the squadron phase, status phase, end of round effects etc. (as you do in Tournaments).

Edited by Grumbleduke

Grumbleduke thank you very much for the detailed and clearly explained reply. You rock and I appreciate your time very much :)

Just need to get further clarification on this as I can see Grumbleduke edited his original post.

Originally it read as First player could spend destiny, then second player, then accuracy were spent. In this version I saw Karneck gave it is his seal of approval and this was the version that made most sense to me.

I can see the post has now been edited to first player spends destiny, accuracy is spent, then second player can spend destiny.

Could just do with some clarity on the exact order here please.

23 minutes ago, MalachiDrake said:

Could just do with some clarity on the exact order here please.

It depends on who is attacking.

Spending accuracies to lock down a Defense Token is resolving an Attack Effect. It happens during the Resolve Attack Effects step (so after the initial roll, Intel Officer and Solar Corona, but before the Defender Spends Defense Tokens). It happens at the same time as the Destiny effect (and most offensive dice-related effects).

During each timing window First Player does all their stuff, then Second Player does all their stuff.

So if the First Player is attacking they get to spend accuracies before the Second Player can Resolve a Destiny Token. But if the Second Player is attacking, the First Player gets to Resolve a Destiny Token before the Second Player can spend accuracies.

[I don't think that was a part I edited, but I can see why it would be confusing. And I may be wrong - it's been a long couple of days.]

A brief follow up question regarding this and Ten Numb and his blast damage.

If I was first player, I could spend his crit to trigger the blast damage before the second player would have an opportunity to change the dice to something else (say a hit) correct?

32 minutes ago, mhd said:

A brief follow up question regarding this and Ten Numb and his blast damage.

If I was first player, I could spend his crit to trigger the blast damage before the second player would have an opportunity to change the dice to something else (say a hit) correct?

Correct. This is true of all "spend a die" effects, because they are not true critical effects.

Which is why Flechette Torpedoes can't just be scattered (or rerolled) away.