So who likes Fallen Order? (No Spoilers)

By KungFuFerret, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Oh, something else I just remembered about lightsaber combat in Fallen Order. When he is wielding the double bladed lightsaber, he (or at least he appears to) cuts his legs off every couple seconds, particularly when he is knocked to the ground. It sort of breaks the immersion a little bit.

Eh, Darth Maul did that back in Phantom Menace, so it's got precedent :P Sort of like how Jango Fett bonks his head, thus establishing why that one trooper bonks his head in ANH. It was hereditary. I don't really mind something minor like that, as you can find things like that in every SW film if you look close enough.

The thing that breaks my immersion more than anything is things like lifts in the game, that are apparently built without a down button on their bottom platform. So you go up to it and it just won't come down. And it's not like it's restricted in any way when you get up there. It's perfectly clear. But apparently, the lobby call elevator down button just doesn't work. Forcing you to go all the way up top, just to "unlock" it and use it. OR, OOOOORRR, the elevators that are only EVER one way! Forcing you to slide down to get back down to the area you were just leaving. I just....I don't understand that at all. :D

1 hour ago, KungFuFerret said:

The thing that breaks my immersion more than anything is things like lifts in the game, that are apparently built without a down button on their bottom platform. So you go up to it and it just won't come down. And it's not like it's restricted in any way when you get up there. It's perfectly clear. But apparently, the lobby call elevator down button just doesn't work. Forcing you to go all the way up top, just to "unlock" it and use it. OR, OOOOORRR, the elevators that are only EVER one way! Forcing you to slide down to get back down to the area you were just leaving. I just....I don't understand that at all. :D

At least Kyle Katarn was aware enough to lampshade that sort of thing in the second Dark Forces title (I think), about how insane the level design in various video games are and how you have to go through a convoluted process to either unlock the door or call an elevator.

Eh, Darth Maul did that back in Phantom Menace, so it's got precedent :P Sort of like how Jango Fett bonks his head, thus establishing why that one trooper bonks his head in ANH. It was hereditary. I don't really mind something minor like that, as you can find things like that in every SW film if you look close enough.

Usually, those kinds of lifts tend to automatically go back down after a short period of time.

34 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Usually, those kinds of lifts tend to automatically go back down after a short period of time.

These don't seem to. I ran around on them for quite a while, trying to trigger the panel in the center that activates them, but to no avail. Maybe I missed something, but given every single one of them has a slide right next to them to take you right back down, I don't see why they would have this level of redundancy in design.

51 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

At least Kyle Katarn was aware enough to lampshade that sort of thing in the second Dark Forces title (I think), about how insane the level design in various video games are and how you have to go through a convoluted process to either unlock the door or call an elevator.

Speaking of lampshading, one thing FO does that I enjoy, is the banter from the Stormtroopers, who seem to be aware of their Redshirt Status in the game, and comment on it while you are fighting them. Hearing a blaster trooper go from "Yeah! kick his ***!" at the beginning of the fight when an ally gets a hit, to "Oh god, I'm all alone now aren't I?" or "This is where I die." Is just hilarious. Though still nothing stops the one purge trooper they set up, to be standing with his back to me, talking to another regular trooper about how he was thirsty for my sauce, and wanted to fight me alone, and how he was GLAD the reinforcements were being called away. All the classic macho, gladiatorial BS you would expect....and I just quietly walk up behind him and Push his butt to his death. It was great. :D

Has anybody had issues with the sound cutting out at points? Or have I just got a duff copy??

4 hours ago, AceSolo5 said:

Has anybody had issues with the sound cutting out at points? Or have I just got a duff copy??

I've not had that issue, at least not thus far.

Are you running the game with the latest patches? For PS4 at least, I know they dropped a patch a couple days ago, so it might be something that's been already been patched.

A friend of mine was playing it on their PC via Steam, and had noted the game seemed "glitchy" in various ways, both audio and graphics, but the problem there turned out to be more with his computer hardware than the game itself.

Also, on PC you have to update the game through Origin, not Steam. A PC user could easily miss the update if they don't look at Origin because they only use it for that game and have auto-updates disabled, for example.

It’s on PS4 & as far as I know all the patches are installed!

Not been on it since the weekend so if there’s been another patch since then it may fix it!

Didn't happen every time I loaded it up tho which is what made me think it might have been my disc!

7 hours ago, AceSolo5 said:

I've noticed it at least a handful of times. I was in a conversation with BD-1, just a random chatter conversation when I came up on a random object, and when it came time for BD to speak, it was quiet. But I know he spoke because the subtitles came on saying "Beep Boop." and then Cal obviously responded to the boops. But I vaguely recall a few times, when I was at the edge of hearing for say, a pair of stormtroopers having random chatter, and it cut out. I assumed it was due to me somehow alerting them to my presence, so they went on guard, but it could've been a sound cutout. It's never been a long duration though, just isolated moments of a few seconds at most.

And at least one of these instances happened after the 1.03 patch from a couple days ago, and I'm on the PS4.

Edited by KungFuFerret

I don't know if it was a glitch with their recording, but I noticed a few times in the game movie I watched where the audio would cut out entirely.

36 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I don't know if it was a glitch with their recording, but I noticed a few times in the game movie I watched where the audio would cut out entirely.

Interesting, I haven't seen it with any cutscene/cinematic sequences, but in just random mission chatter, it's happened a few times. It's only ever lasted for a second or 2 at most, so it hasn't been a really big issue for me.

Just now, KungFuFerret said:

Interesting, I haven't seen it with any cutscene/cinematic sequences, but in just random mission chatter, it's happened a few times. It's only ever lasted for a second or 2 at most, so it hasn't been a really big issue for me.

Both cut-scenes and gameplay, the game movie combined them to make it more like a movie, and the problem was apparent in both.

However, since you say no longer than a second or two, it could very well be that it was just their recording bugging out as it typically lasted for ~30 seconds or so, though the length did fluctuate (there were 3 or 4 times that it happened).

1 minute ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Both cut-scenes and gameplay, the game movie combined them to make it more like a movie, and the problem was apparent in both.

However, since you say no longer than a second or two, it could very well be that it was just their recording bugging out as it typically lasted for ~30 seconds or so, though the length did fluctuate (there were 3 or 4 times that it happened).

I'm curious if you noticed, at least for the in-game times this happened, if swinging your camera angle (and thus the location system for the sound direction) when these problems happened? I notice that a lot on my PC with headphones, where it will cut out if I turn my POV to a certain angle in relation to the sound's source.

No, I didn't notice, and it didn't seem to have anything to do with camera motions, it just cut out randomly. Sometimes the audio troubles carried over into cutscenes, so it might have just been their recording.

So one element of this game I'm definitely enjoying is the exploration aspect, especially after you unlock new abilities (wall-running, Force push, Force pull, etc). Granted the rewards (cosmetics) generally "meh," though you can find some nifty stuff (extensions for Force and health bar, extra stims) simply by poking around in various places, to say nothing of the lore bits that are lurking in various tucked away corners of each planet.

1 hour ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

to say nothing of the lore bits that are lurking in various tucked away corners of each planet.

Yeah, that was one thing I largely missed out on watching the game movie. There were a couple tidbits about

the crashed Venator on that certain planet, (I can't remember the name though. Not the scrapyard, one of the other ones. Anyone remember its name?)

and I certainly enjoyed seeing that. I really like how they used psychometry to recover the information.

447l11s1j4041.jpg

I just wish they had united the narrative and game logic instead of you being blocked by doors anyone with a glowstick can just slice through.

1 hour ago, Stan Fresh said:

I just wish they had united the narrative and game logic instead of you being blocked by doors anyone with a glowstick can just slice through.

From what a friend of mine was telling me over the weekend, EA has pretty much doing what they can to undercut the game without directly undercutting it (EA is doing the bare minimum to promote the title, ostensibly in the hopes it fails and thus doesn't undercut their "well nobody these days wants single player games that don't have microtransactions!" narrative). Since adding in "cutting open sealed doors" would probably take extra time and money, it probably was an expense that Respawn figured the money was better spent elsewhere (no idea how much of a budget they had to begin with).

To say nothing of "hey, if the player can just chop through doors, that cuts down the amount of time we can pad the game by having them wander around the areas before unlocking various shortcuts!" It's a tad annoying in this game given the protag's weapon of choice, but it does make sense for what is essentially a 3D Metroidvania, so it's keeping with the game's genre.

In-verse reason, Cal is likely making at least a token effort to not draw too much of the Empire's direct attention everywhere he goes. And using a lightsaber to cut open various doors, especially on a world with a notable Imperial presence like Jeffo, leaves a rather distinctive trail. Qui-Gon didn't care in TPM because he was on an enemy ship where the enemy already knew he was there and was actively trying to kill him.

12 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

So one element of this game I'm definitely enjoying is the exploration aspect, especially after you unlock new abilities (wall-running, Force push, Force pull, etc). Granted the rewards (cosmetics) generally "meh," though you can find some nifty stuff (extensions for Force and health bar, extra stims) simply by poking around in various places, to say nothing of the lore bits that are lurking in various tucked away corners of each planet.

While I find myself not very compelled to go hunting for every treasure chest and secret anymore, I do appreciate that the cosmetics for this game are NOT microtransactions. They are just in-game, for you to find if you are curious and stubborn. Having the only actual improvement content be things like health/force bar increases (similar to God of War), and stims is nice, but I find myself very underwhelmed by finding yet another lightsaber cosmetic piece, when you can barely see your saber outside of cutscenes where it is prominent. I wish there had been some kind of weapon improvement system like most of the games have, to make you more effective in combat. Like the components provided small bonuses to things like your parry window, your stamina bar, damage output, etc. Since all of the "getting better" in the actual combat is mostly tied to just improving your ability to twitch respond to the combat cues, it's hard for me, because I am not good at Dark Souls combat systems, and the amount of times I get pounded due to missed timing has made me rage quit the game on several occasions. Well, not RAGE quit, more annoyed huff quit. But yeah, one thing in games that I dislike immensely, is being compelled to 100% complete your stuff, finding little trinkets you stick everywhere, but all of it be cosmetic stuff. I just really don't feel compelled to keep looking. Like how Assassin's Creed will have various gather quests, and the final item is just some different style of flashy cape or whatever.

20 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

In-verse reason, Cal is likely making at least a token effort to not draw too much of the Empire's direct attention everywhere he goes. And using a lightsaber to cut open various doors, especially on a world with a notable Imperial presence like Jeffo, leaves a rather distinctive trail. Qui-Gon didn't care in TPM because he was on an enemy ship where the enemy already knew he was there and was actively trying to kill him.

I would agree with this, if it wasn't for the fact that Cal is more than happy to destroy other parts of the world with his lightsaber, to progress, or with force powers to rip things into new positions so he can traverse. :D

I get it for game mechanics, but it's about as silly as in the original Prince of Persia reboot game they made, how he was apparently just allergic to doors, thus requiring him to parkour over everything else instead. Fun for the game, but silly if you actually think about it for 2 seconds.

Fun for the game, but silly if you actually think about it for 2 seconds.

This could honestly be applied to a whole plethora of video games across multiple genres. For instance, the "walking arsenal" that is most protagonists in FPS and action-adventure style games, who in reality would have no way to carry as much gear and ammo as the games permit. Or the classic side-scroller beat-em-up trend of regaining health by eating unprotected food found from breaking open trash bins (as opposed the more likely case of getting a horrific bout of food poisoning).

Then again, how many play action-orientated video games expecting any sort of "realism"? Especially in a game placed in a setting with space wizards who flaunt the laws of physics on a regular basis? :D

While I find myself not very compelled to go hunting for every treasure chest and secret anymore, I do appreciate that the cosmetics for this game are NOT microtransactions. They are just in-game, for you to find if you are curious and stubborn. Having the only actual improvement content be things like health/force bar increases (similar to God of War), and stims is nice, but I find myself very underwhelmed by finding yet another lightsaber cosmetic piece, when you can barely see your saber outside of cutscenes where it is prominent. I wish there had been some kind of weapon improvement system like most of the games have, to make you more effective in combat. Like the components provided small bonuses to things like your parry window, your stamina bar, damage output, etc. Since all of the "getting better" in the actual combat is mostly tied to just improving your ability to twitch respond to the combat cues, it's hard for me, because I am not good at Dark Souls combat systems, and the amount of times I get pounded due to missed timing has made me rage quit the game on several occasions. Well, not RAGE quit, more annoyed huff quit. But yeah, one thing in games that I dislike immensely, is being compelled to 100% complete your stuff, finding little trinkets you stick everywhere, but all of it be cosmetic stuff. I just really don't feel compelled to keep looking. Like how Assassin's Creed will have various gather quests, and the final item is just some different style of flashy cape or whatever.

I actually kind of like that the various cosmetics are just that, cosmetics and thus not required to proceed. I know that not every gamer is going to be of a "have to get 100% completion!" mindset, and with most of the loot being cosmetic in nature, the more casual players (who make up a far larger market base than the hardcore gamers) don't feel they're being unduly penalized for not having a "gotta catch them all!" mentality.

I'm very much glad that they didn't have the various lightsaber components assign various minor bonuses. That was one of the things I disliked about the KOTOR games, especially the second one, as it doubled down on the importance of finding loot vs. improving the character's prowess. Granted, the KOTOR games were saddled with being based upon the OCR/RCR version of Star Wars, which itself was a reskin of D&D 3.0 and that system's own dependence upon magic items to stay relevant in later levels.

Myself, I'm just having fun exploring the various regions and seeing the detail put into creating them (the Jeffo planet has some really impressive vistas IMO), with the cosmetics (or the bogling companion) being a secondary concern if I do happen to find them. Plus, with the cosmetics being just that, there's far less incentive for EA to try and force "pay to win" style microtransactions into what is ultimately a story-based game.

29 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

This could honestly be applied to a whole plethora of video games across multiple genres. For instance, the "walking arsenal" that is most protagonists in FPS and action-adventure style games, who in reality would have no way to carry as much gear and ammo as the games permit. Or the classic side-scroller beat-em-up trend of regaining health by eating unprotected food found from breaking open trash bins (as opposed the more likely case of getting a horrific bout of food poisoning).

Then again, how many play action-orientated video games expecting any sort of "realism"? Especially in a game placed in a setting with space wizards who flaunt the laws of physics on a regular basis? :D

Oh I know, I'm not saying it's a flaw unique to Fallen Order, but it's a REALLY glaringly obvious one considering the MC uses his abilities to clearly destroy obstacles in multiple places, but doesn't in others. And given the infamy of cutting power that is the lightsaber, it's just really amusing. That comic strip above perfectly reflects several times in the game, where I said out loud to my wife, something along the lines of what Cal said. Usually accompanied with "If only I had an incredibly effective cutting tool to remove this minor barrier to my progress."

17 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

I actually kind of like that the various cosmetics are just that, cosmetics and thus not required to proceed. I know that not every gamer is going to be of a "have to get 100% completion!" mindset, and with most of the loot being cosmetic in nature, the more casual players (who make up a far larger market base than the hardcore gamers) don't feel they're being unduly penalized for not having a "gotta catch them all!" mentality.

I'm very much glad that they didn't have the various lightsaber components assign various minor bonuses. That was one of the things I disliked about the KOTOR games, especially the second one, as it doubled down on the importance of finding loot vs. improving the character's prowess. Granted, the KOTOR games were saddled with being based upon the OCR/RCR version of Star Wars, which itself was a reskin of D&D 3.0 and that system's own dependence upon magic items to stay relevant in later levels.

Yeah I just wish I had a method to actually become stronger, since the game uses the Dark Souls system of combat, one of the things you can do in DS, aside from just git gud, is to actually boost your stats, which gives you a tangible benefit going forward. There is no such thing in FO. So if I'm just getting punked by Purge Trooper 27, I really don't have a lot of options on how to improve. I'm not terribly good at twitch combat, at least not as much in my middle age. I also just don't find it very fun. So I dislike games that double down on that in order to improve. Which is why I wish there was at least SOME improvement in combat skills that you could keep going into. Unlocking new force/saber abilities is nice, but it still relies on you using them within the really small window of reaction. I've lost count of how many times I've tried to use some of the more powerful Force powers, which are supposed to give me the edge in combat, only to have EVERY ENEMY instantly attack me as soon as I press the input for that ability, and interrupt me. So yeah, it's kind of annoying.

20 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Myself, I'm just having fun exploring the various regions and seeing the detail put into creating them (the Jeffo planet has some really impressive vistas IMO), with the cosmetics (or the bogling companion) being a secondary concern if I do happen to find them. Plus, with the cosmetics being just that, there's far less incentive for EA to try and force "pay to win" style microtransactions into what is ultimately a story-based game.

OH! Speaking of impressive vistas! I had a really funny "WTF?!" moment with Cal. At one point, you go to a very cold, icy planet due to reasons. One thing you can do is climb up to the top of a VERY high peak, and you are rewarded with a very stunning overlook, out onto the beautiful snow covered mountains and valleys, as far as the eye can see. It's quite gorgeous, but Cal says "Yeah, not much to look at." To BD-1, which had me like "uhh...WHAT?!"

THEN, later on, he ends up in a room with a very boring view of the surrounding area, and has the gal to say "Wow, look at that view huh BD?" And I'm just like "Ok what the heck Cal?!" :D

4 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

From what a friend of mine was telling me over the weekend, EA has pretty much doing what they can to undercut the game without directly undercutting it (EA is doing the bare minimum to promote the title, ostensibly in the hopes it fails and thus doesn't undercut their "well nobody these days wants single player games that don't have microtransactions!" narrative). Since adding in "cutting open sealed doors" would probably take extra time and money, it probably was an expense that Respawn figured the money was better spent elsewhere (no idea how much of a budget they had to begin with).

Yeah that sounds like aggressively stupid conspiracy theory nonsense.