Is it time for a Clan War miniature game resurrection?

By Agis, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

2019ffgholiday_web.jpg

3 hours ago, Agis said:

Really? I do not see it...

The plastic samurai model, I assume.

Other stuff:

• The lunchbox is the new totally-not-star-fleet faction from Keyforge
  • I think the ship slung from the ceiling is a Shattered Imperium capital ship (albeit huge)
  • One plushy is Cthulu
  • One plushy - the dragon - looks a bit Game of Thrones esque.

It's possible we're over-analysing here.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Ahh, got it!

I am crossing fingers.

One can wish/hope, right? Tis the season! :P

Happy holidays all!

Rebellions are built on hope

Wait wrong franchise

I dug up a lot of the old L5R miniatures lately, been inventorying and considering selling. Some good sculpts, some kinda meh.... wouldn't mind if they took the opportunity to resculpt so long as they kept scale. I'd rather have something more like ToH anyway....

Hmm.. Clan War.. Best miniature wargame experience of my life was the one Clan War game I actually got to play. Sadly, the FLGS took so long to get the miniatures I needed that I couldn't field my army until about a month before the game actually died (at least when people at the FLGS stopped playing). I'm told the biggest issue was that the guy playing Shadowlands was largely playing Proxies (again, because we had trouble getting the actual minis), but his pieces would tend to change in the middle of a game (from what I was told.. I never got to see him in action.)

The best game ever though.. I finally got my Toturi's army list together.. it was something like 2 ashigaru archer units, 2 units ashigaru spearmen, 1 ronin samurai unit with Toturi, 1 Unicorn Cavalry with Dairyu, and a unit of Dragon clan tattoo monks. My opponent was playing a dragon list, the exact details of which escape me.. But what I can say is that I was completely caught by surprise when one of his monk units got the first move in the match, charged my Unicorn Cavalry (they moved further than my cavalry would have been able to.) wiped out the Cavalry and Dairyu on the first attack, thus causing one each of my units of ashigaru spearmen and ashigaru archers to roll morale checks, which both units failed, so both units started to run away. Mirumoto Hitomi began to lead her samurai up the other flank, but there was rough terrain in the way, so she got bogged down (in front of my remaining ashigaru archers no less). On turn 2 my first group of archers ran off the field, but my spearmen rallied and moved back to fight the monks which had killed my Cavalry.. this caused a situation in which My Tattooed monks and another opposing group of Tattooed monks, led by togashi mitsu, were fighting in the middle of the field. Hitomi and her samurai continued to get hung up on rough terrain and pelted by arrows.. My archers weren't doing much actual damage, but they would prevent Hitomi and her samurai from joining the fray. My first unit of spearmen were getting beat up by a unit of monks, but they hung in there for a few rounds.. just long enough for my second unit of spearmen to get into the monk fight in the middle.. eventually my monks get destroyed, but I kill off his middle group of monks with my spearmen (I think Mitsu survived an extra turn or two after his monks died). As I recall, I was trying to maneuver my samurai (and Toturi) to go deal with Mitsu, but My opponent decided to intercept Toturi and his bodyguards using the Dragon's command unit.. sadly, I can't remember exactly what it was.. what I do remember is that nobody wins a duel against Toturi. So I killed Togashi Mitsu and.. whoever it was that was actually leading the army.. Maybe it was Mirumoto Daini? Anyway, with the center of his army absolutely devastated by Toturi, and Hitomi still caught up in rough terrain (actually I think she was failing morale checks caused by the archers or something) My opponent and I called it there.

I admit I get pretty emotionally involved in my games (what's the point to playing if you're not going to have fun, right?), so I was on the verge of tears when half my army was dead or running before I had even gotten a chance to act. The fight was mostly gloomy, with me getting slowly ground down.. except for that one archer unit that was keeping Hitomi at bay, which was good for a sardonic chuckle. Then when Toturi wins the duel against the opposing commander and kills Mitsu shortly thereafter, I was just like "Holy exclamations!! This is the best game ever!"

Uhmm.. Oh.. so to answer the question.. now is always the time for Clan War to make a comeback.

I really would love a Clan Wars miniature game. So much there to work with.

Boxing it would be pretty simple. You have your core box which is just unpainted generics; Ashigaru, archers, samurai, cavalry, etc. Whatever FFG determines is a basic army. Sell that for 50 bucks. Then you sell a Clan Core for 25 bucks That contains an additional core unit for that faction and a Hero unit. So for instance, the Unicorn core would have an Otaku maiden and a unit of Cavalry so even in the first wave the Unicorn clan can field twice the cavalry of a different army. The Lions Would have an extra unit of samurai warriors and their hero. The Crab would have some tanky version of Spearman or something. The Dragon clan would have a tattooed monk and a hero, etc.

After that you just do your expansions as two sculpts and an Identity cards. One sculpt is "generic" style with an identity card for each faction. It may be a "Noble Bushi" for a Lion. "Renowned Duelist" for a Crane. "Shugenia's yojimbo" for the phoenix. The Second Sculpt is a specific hero for a faction which rotates every release. Once a year or so you do a "Big Box" which has a new unit/character for every faction.

On top of that you can do the creatures, you can introduce the Naga, add in Monstrous Oni. So many options.

FFG please!

Edited by LionOfwinter

Clearly. I was shocked when Rune Wars was made. I realize they got the license RIGHT around that time, but Rune Wars could have easily been L5R based.
The fact they still haven't made something shocks me, unless L5R just doesn't make a lot of money for them

On 7/18/2020 at 10:28 PM, khadorstrong said:

Clearly. I was shocked when Rune Wars was made. I realize they got the license RIGHT around that time, but Rune Wars could have easily been L5R based.
The fact they still haven't made something shocks me, unless L5R just doesn't make a lot of money for them

Im sure the card game does make them money. I think the RPG makes less money. and Mini games take a loy of work to get going and you have to get a lot of models made or it wornt get off the grounf. I think that is part of why RPGs and tabletop games got split into different companies. both can focus better.

Wargames require alot of upfront investment, and in the case of L5R any miniature line will have to face competition from historical miniature lines.

That's almost certainly one of the problems the original Clan War had and these days is probably even worst with Torii/Kensei, Bushido, Test of Honor, and Warlord Games having their own lines.