Coriolis

By KelYco, in Your Settings

Hello everyone,

Is someone working on Coriolis setting pls?

I did it in the past... Let me sort out a pdf...

So, it's not exhaustive, but it was everything my group needed. I may have missed a couple things, and I spent a lot of time thinking about it, so feel free to ask me any questions! Hope it helps. 😁

Coriolis Master Document.pdf

Thank you very much TheBoulder. You 've done already a good conversion !!

Because you know the rule system of Coriolis with the D6, would you describe the pros and cons from your point of view of this mecanic and why you chose to make conversions to Genesys system ?

Many thanks

Edited by KelYco

My reason for converting it wasn't really due to a comparison of systems. I had been GMing star wars for a few years and really enjoyed the system. My players didn't want to learn a new system and one of them had bought the genesys book and I wanted to encourage his interest, so I made the conversion based on those factors. I'd hesitate to ever do an objective comparison of rpg rules systems, simply because I don't think it can be objective. What your group enjoys is the best system for you.

Maybe that's not super helpful, so I can tell you why I love the genesys system... It strikes a great balance between crunch and narrative play, and the mechanics help to inform roleplaying and encourage imagination. The narrative dice roll encourages my players to be active participants in a story versus a mechanical encounter. I also find everyone at the table is interested in everyone else's rolls in a way I haven't experienced in other systems. For combat, I love the initiative system and the encounters are fast and emphasize the action.

Areas of weakness... there aren't many, but I don't love how the magic system leaves so much up to player initiative, some of the skills are perhaps a little too specific at times (to the point where they don't get used) and character creation doesn't always tie the players to the setting (this is mitigated somewhat by things like the favour mechanic and is always going to be a problem in a generic system).

Edited by TheBoulder

Thanks again for the time spent to answer and develop your vision.

From my experience, i' gming with "old D&D players" and they liked pretty much Genesys system but i could see there were not familiar with the narrative side and we were not using the full potential of this system. Especially with the wizard ! He had like a lack of imagination because the spells were not written in advance as some other rpg.

For me, i like very much Genesys but i 've found a bit long sometimes to find the balanced result with the threats and advantages. probably i 've not enought experience.

I didn't like the initiative system and i converted it to a more D&D way.

Next, we played in Terrinoth setting but i've found not enought background details so i'm using Midgard now .... and D&D5E !

However i'm very interested to buy and play Coriolis but i though Genesys could be great (no magic in Coriolis - just some psychic powers i've read) and that's why your work and point of view is very useful.

Thank you again

I have an other question TheBoulder pls:

How do you manage the pushing roll mecanic and the Dark point since it is a the core mecanic in this game ?

Thank you

Anybody has worked on Coriolis conversion please ?