Durable and Deadeye

By Split Light, in Rules Questions

I'm curious how people interpret the interaction of the Durable and Deadeye, or other similar crit effecting talents. Deadeye is a tier 4 talent that lets you choose (within a range) which crit you will inflict on your target. Durable reduces crits by 10 per rank.

If somebody with Deadeye hits a target who has three ranks of Durable how would that work? Is it subtracted from the number chosen? Do they need to choose a higher crit that then reduces to what they want?

I have a fight coming up in a fantasy campaign I'm running where I know this will be an issue, so I'm trying to prep a little. Thanks all.

I would Reduce the number first then let the person with deadeye choose a crit with same severity.

So you roll a 86 then subtract 20 from durable and then choice between same difficulty as 66.

At least how i would do it

Don't overthink it. They're both optional things, right?

So, I would not tell the PC that the NPC had the Talent (why would I/how would they know?), let the PC make their choice, then of course let the NPC may make their choice.

Moving forward from there, the PC would legitimately have IC knowledge I think seeing that they're not able to inflict the specific wound they know they have the ability to do.

And so from there, both sides just get to make their choices, as normal.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, Archellus said:

I would Reduce the number first then let the person with deadeye choose a crit with same severity.

So you roll a 86 then subtract 20 from durable and then choice between same difficulty as 66.

At least how i would do it

This. Durable affects the crit roll directly, then you can decide to use Deadeye and change to any other Crit of same severity. Simple and logical.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:14 PM, emsquared said:

Don't overthink it. They're both optional things, right?

So, I would not tell the PC that the NPC had the Talent (why would I/how would they know?), let the PC make their choice, then of course let the NPC may make their choice.

Moving forward from there, the PC would legitimately have IC knowledge I think seeing that they're not able to inflict the specific wound they know they have the ability to do.

And so from there, both sides just get to make their choices, as normal.

Not this. Durable and Deadeye reference two different facets of the Critical Injuries mechanics. Durable changes the Effect you suffer by subtracting its Rank x10 from the d100 roll. Deadeye lets you choose any Crit of the same Severity. Since you need to know the Effect to determine its Severity, and since Durable affects the Effect you get, you need to account for Durable before using Deadeye.

A good way to split the difference would seem to be to allow the Deadeye character to choose a critical of the same severity but not from the top 30 points of that severity