Basing Technique Question

By Lochlan, in Painting

I have peen pondering for a while how I wanted to base my CIS models. I was originally leaning towards using the same style I have been using for the rest of my models, but seeing @Polda 's very eye-catching bases for his CIS made me want to try something with a bit more flair.

While watching random restoration videos on YouTube, I stumbled onto the following image that really caught my eye:

zf7uFia.jpg

This really reminded me of many of the false-color images of Mercury:

P24Iw0H.jpg

It also kind of reminds me of sulfur deposits from hot springs:

6mWrpVz.jpg

The question, then, is how to recreate this effect on the base (ideally quickly and easily, since I will need to do it many times over). Anyone have any suggestions, or links/images of similar bases/terrain pieces?

I'm not an expert, but I've seen yellow paint watered down might work..

Man, that looks a bit tough. It’s a complicated surface and I don’t have any experience doing one like that. But I think breaking it down into components might help.

1 texture: The surface you are trying to emulate has a rocky, uneven texture. There are readily available texture paints that will give either a sandy or a cracked mud appearance. This might be close enough for you. Otherwise you might want different layers in the base. You could do this with spackle/filler or with cork, depending on how big you want layers to be. Both will require a bit of effort.

2. colors: It seems like the effect you are going for is really caused by the juxtaposition of quite different colors. A dark gray, with a bright yellow dusty and then even rust and cool blue in some images. You can recreate this with paints, but I expect it will be challenging to combine this with textures to recreate what you see in the images.

I can think of some things I would try, but none are what I would call quick and easy.

The ground seems to be mostly dusty with some large rocks. The crater size us a bit too large to recreate on individual bases. You'd have to model that with green stuff.

So I would recommend some finer texture paste like Astrogranite. Then you'll want to get some slate stones as well.
If you're basing the model white, you're good. You can hit the base with primer. Then I'd get a flat brush with some beige on it and drybrush in circles on the surface.

Wash some parts with a pale gray wash, was other parts with a brown wash.
Finally once that dries, and maybe you drybrush some white and beige again, you can try to put a blob of yellow or rust on the base and move the model around to let the wash spill around.

Also remember you can drybrush with any **** color you please. :P Drybrush a bit of bluish-gray over the raised areas where you spilled the yellow wash (or very thin yellow paint). That might produce a cool effect.

Alternatively, if you want to paint the bases first, then glue on the model you could get your varied texture by using a crumpled up paper towel. Pick up some paint and stipple or wipe it around to get that random texture in.

Edited by Polda

Free form air and Apoxie epoxy dough are very useful as bulk replacements for green stuff if you want to go with a sculpted, molded, or press molded base.

I don't know if this is exactly what you're Looking for, but I hope those come Pretty near what you wanna do:

mtVlB29.jpg

xtI9dr6.jpg

If you're interested in the technique I'm happy to share.

8 hours ago, Qraith said:

I don't know if this is exactly what you're Looking for, but I hope those come Pretty near what you wanna do:

mtVlB29.jpg

xtI9dr6.jpg

If you're interested in the technique I'm happy to share.

yes please!!!

So here’s the deal:

The „Stones“ are Armypainter Battle Rocks. They’re glued on first. Then GWs Agrellan Earth (cracks) and Agrellan Badlands (strukture) are applied in patches so that it doesn’t look too repetitive.
After that the base is wet blended using GW Skrag Brown and Tau Light Ochre. Then the base is washed with Agrax Earthshade and selectively dry brushed with Ushabit Bone

What an absolutely stunning and simple technique!

Thank you for sharing it!