Leia + BB-8

By Rettere, in X-Wing Rules Questions

"try" being the operative word there 😜

@nitrobenz Smart. Here's what I would post:

Hello! Looking for an explicit answer to the question 'Can Resistance Leia crew make a white maneuver blue so that BB-8 Astromech can be used?'

Could you please explicitly address the phrase "Before you execute a blue maneuver," (from BB-8 Astromech) in the part of the FAQ that addresses cards that change maneuver difficulty? (FAQ 1.1.0, page 33, the 2nd entry on the right)

Does BB-8 Astromech trigger during Activation Phase step "1. Reveal Maneuver" , or step " 2. Execute Maneuver ", or between them somehow? The FAQ states "
During the Execute Maneuver step, all abilities that alter the difficulty of the maneuver are cumulative as normal. " Because BB-8 Astromech triggers " Before you execute a blue maneuver, " it is unclear if Leia crew's effect has already made the maneuver blue by the time BB-8 Astromech would trigger.

Thank you for all your work. We love you! ❤️

Suggestions before I submit? Is this too wordy? Or are the details good? I wanna ask before they finalize the FAQ/Rules Reference for the June/July release.

Edited by Neuvost
Added the last sentence and fixed the @
1 hour ago, Neuvost said:

Suggestions before I submit? Is this too wordy? Or are the details good? I wanna ask before they finalize the FAQ/Rules Reference for the June/July release.

I'd say all the paragraphs are semi-redundant since they are essentially just asking the question "does BB-8 work with resistance Leia's ability?" with varying levels of detail and touching on different sources.

The first is a good lead in though with a friendly greeting (technically not useful, but I imagine little things like that would be appreciated in such a thanks job) and short version of the question. I think the third paragraph most precisely gets the point across about why this might be misinterpreted (and phrases it in a way that also hints at the ongoing debate of whether while/during includes before/after when referencing specific steps)

Overall I don't think the draft would lose anything technically necessary to understanding the question by cutting out the second paragraph. That part also has a bit of an 'insert answer here' feel on my first read-through.

7 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

Overall I don't think the draft would lose anything technically necessary to understanding the question by cutting out the second paragraph. That part also has a bit of an 'insert answer here' feel on my first read-through.

Good call. Edited and submitted.

Finally have clarification!

R4 Astromech and Damaged Engine (and other effects that alter the difficulty of a maneuver, such as Nien Nunb [򁒝, L3-37's Programming, and Leia Organa [Rebel and Resistance 򁒝) apply only during the Execute Maneuver step, for effects that trigger "before a ship executes a maneuver" (e.g. BB Astromech), and for effects that trigger "after that ship executes a maneuver" (e.g. Elusive).

And

After Leia Organa (Resistance, 򁒩 reduces the difficulty of a ship's maneuver, if the reduced difficulty is blue, can the ship use BB Astromech to perform a 򁂿A: Yes. Leia Organa (Resistance, 򁒩 has an ability that occurs after the dial is revealed, and BB Astromech's ability is resolved subsequently, before the ship executes its maneuver.

I'd probably call it a change more than a clarification .

Anyhow, I'm glad it works, it was pretty silly that it didn't work, IMHO.

3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Agreed. It was a change. First, most of us assumed it did work, until they "clarified" that it didnt, now its changed to work again. *Shrug*

5 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I guess this would be a matter of view. If you were arguing that Leia and /or R4 would not interact with BB droids, then sure, it is a change.

However, if you argued that BB droids effects occurred during the execute maneuver phase of activation, as myself and others argued in this thread, and ffg has now officially ruled, then this is indeed a clarification

Edited by Rn_ReFlux