A game of promises

By 987654321, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Well, our friends in green are going to be pleased with this!

18 minutes ago, Lindhrive said:

Well, our friends in green are going to be pleased with this!

And I think our friends in Dark Blue as well. It shows the Yasuki in their element and in a good light.

All according to plan. Also did Kudaka change ships again?

Never mind she was stationed there in the "Tempest and Tides" story so she did change between the Winter Court adventure and then but its not a recent change.

Edited by Schmoozies

Quick thoughts...

Don't really like the implications about the existence of the Sea of Shadows (or lack thereof) and the work the Crab navy does to contain it.

Sending non-Kuni shugenja into the Shadowlands is not the best plan I've ever heard.

How exactly is Amaterasu the First Sun if there's only ever been one in this continuity so far?

28 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

Sending non-Kuni shugenja into the Shadowlands is not the best plan I've ever heard.

Well it is better than sending in good Crab samurai to act as trap detectors when there is another option. Send in the rabble first, see who survives and then execute them for their own good. Plan with no draw backs!

9 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Well it is better than sending in good Crab samurai to act as trap detectors when there is another option. Send in the rabble first, see who survives and then execute them for their own good. Plan with no draw backs!

But shugenja are less than worthless in the Shadowlands. There're no kami for them to call upon for magic and they're more likely to end up becoming Bloodspeakers.

I can't wait to see the follow up to this story. That was fun. Also it was great to see Oguri in action. Annie seems to favor writing the Crab. I wonder if she'll be doing the Crab novella.

Also I'm extremely pleased with how many fictions we are getting. Feel like they are coming very frequently right now. I think we got 3 stories and a novella in the last two weeks. I know we won't sustain this rate but it's nice being in the middle of it all.

Edited by phillos
1 hour ago, phillos said:

Also I'm extremely pleased with how many fictions we are getting. Feel like they are coming very frequently right now. I think we got 3 stories and a novella in the last two weeks. I know we won't sustain this rate but it's nice being in the middle of it all.

Hopefully this trend continues, one story minimum a week would be good so we always have something to look forward to.

3 hours ago, Yogo Rye X said:

Hopefully this trend continues, one story minimum a week would be good so we always have something to look forward to.

As lovely as that would be, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Unlike AEG, Fantasy Flight actually pays its authors, which means they have a budget -- and I don't think it stretches to cover a story every week.

Ah, now this was a delight...

Because it shows the ruthless pragmatism of the Crab and Mantis, true.... but also that they're samurai, and even their pragmatism has limits.

7 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Ah, now this was a delight...

Because it shows the ruthless pragmatism of the Crab and Mantis, true.... but also that they're samurai, and even their pragmatism has limits.

Indeed. With the first 2 sallies, Oguri can gauge Kudaka’s character. Will she be satisfied with a gesture of support? No. Bribed with Kaiu tech? No. The Ancestral Daisho of the Mantis Clan? Ding ding ding. Also has the benefit of echoing the traditional two refusals before accepting a gift.

Can I also say that I am amused that the twin tenkinja are called "Wind" and "Water".

49 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Can I also say that I am amused that the twin tenkinja are called "Wind" and "Water".

They arrange furniture in their spare time....

<.<

>.>

:D

is this the set up for the Crab novella?

5 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Now we just need a Thunder in there and I can summon Gate Guardian

Image result for gate guardian

This was fun. Kudaka is turning out an interesting character. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her, and of Oguri as well after this.

19 hours ago, Manchu said:

I doubt it considering this is the payoff for that Clan choice player decision and I doubt they'd base the novella around something so... variable.

4 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

I doubt it considering this is the payoff for that Clan choice player decision and I doubt they'd base the novella around something so... variable.

Its the Clan pack fiction

Where does this story... fit?
It's a follow up to "Beneath, Below, Beyond," sure, which is part of the Imperial Cycle of fiction.
But this isn't Imperial Cycle... is it? Is it Clan War? Is it entirely stand-alone?

8 hours ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

Where does this story... fit?
It's a follow up to "Beneath, Below, Beyond," sure, which is part of the Imperial Cycle of fiction.
But this isn't Imperial Cycle... is it? Is it Clan War? Is it entirely stand-alone?

It will likely be Clan Wars, but technically its the Crab pack fiction, so current in the timeline as it is dealing with the Crab story choice from last year's Worlds.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:12 AM, Manchu said:

That...makes a lot of sense.

Though, I am hoping to see more of Kisada and his kin too, so who knows what the story it'll be.

If the novella was influenced by the story choice then I worry how long it will take for that book to be released. Right now it isn't even announced or hinted at from what I can see. Also if the novella was influenced by the story choice that was the coolest story choice we've had so far. Though I really will be surprised if this sets up the Crab Novella considering right now it's poised to kick off a fiction mostly about a Mantis crew.

I also would like to see some focus go back to Kisada's family. I sort of assumed that they would be the focus of the Crab novella and that's why their story line has been in stasis for so long. We've got them all in the card game now. So that's something.

Edited by phillos

I reckon Oguri will want to pick up some Hiruma and Kuni types to take on this expedition. It would make a great adventure yarn.

9 hours ago, Manchu said:

I reckon Oguri will want to pick up some Hiruma and Kuni types to take on this expedition. It would make a great adventure yarn.

Indeed. It has a slightly " Jason and the Argonauts with bonus tentacled oni " feel to it.