'Official' RPG events

By Magnus Grendel, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Just to note - if it's of interest to people - that Winter Court has multiple RPG events running (or more likely the same one three times).

I'm hoping we'll get to see The Highwayman from GenCon, and would very much like to see the stuff from this event, too, if it becomes available.

It was the Highwayman. Went much better than Gencon.

9 hours ago, KakitaKaori said:

It was the Highwayman. Went much better than Gencon.

Better as in 'better run', or better as in 'only 50% of the characters died horrible deaths'?

On 11/15/2019 at 2:46 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Better as in 'better run', or better as in 'only 50% of the characters died horrible deaths'?

When I experienced it at Gencon, it was with 1 other player experienced with L5R at all, and several players who were new to RPGs period. I was unhappy with the GM, the intrigue was undirected and the players were not shown how to do an intrigue or told what to do, and characters were 'forced' by the GM to do things their players did not wish to do. and the game reached time before the main combat began. (Best I can give without giving the scenario away).

In this, the intrigue went smoothly, everything was explained, the GM kept the game on track, we got to the combat, and were able to run through the combat to completion. The GM even stayed an extra hour so we could do the full followup to end the game.

The combat was very successful...possibly some would say too successful. We figured out the importance of critical strikes early (probably due to being more familiar with the game system), and was able to use them to bypass much of the difficulties in the combat. The adversaries had been separated, and we were therefore, by various means, able to take them down in a single round (each) without receiving much in the way of fatigue ourselves.

This probably could be considered a fault, of the system or of us, that combat was too "easy", but it could have gone very differently if that crucial connection of using criticals with maximized deadliness had not been made, plus using teamwork/assistance, etc, to get the dice rolls that could get those criticals to happen.

It was a very different experience than at Gencon.

Edited by KakitaKaori