The Long Arm of Mordor and Setup effects (and Mulligan)

By Flrbb, in Rules questions & answers

TLAOM requires to place all heros in the staging area with their text boxes blank.

I do play with tactic Eowyn and The One Ring. Both do have Setup effects, too. So what happens (and what not)?

Do I reduce my thread, attach the Ring and search for a Master card? If I decide to take a mulligan, will I keep the master card? Or woud the search for a Master card be after that?

... didn't play for a while, I am confused about the rules. Thanks in advance.

Game setup instructions go like this:

1. Shuffle Decks
2. Place heroes and set threat levels
3. Create token bank
4. Determine first player
5. Draw starting hand (take mulligan)
6. Place quest cards
7. Preform scenario setup instructions

Any setup instructions on hero cards would take place during step 2. And I'm also going to assume that's true for player cards that are not heroes, like The One Ring. So in this case you would lower your threat by 3 and attach The One Ring to Eowyn. Then search search your deck for a master card and add it to your hand. If you later decide to take a mulligan you get to keep the master card. Then you follow the setup in instructions on the quest 1A.

Ah, right. Siunds good to me. Just that part where you keep one card and mulligan the others do sound a bit odd. That is why I am wondering. But if you say so... ^^

13 minutes ago, Flrbb said:

Ah, right. Siunds good to me. Just that part where you keep one card and mulligan the others do sound a bit odd. That is why I am wondering. But if you say so... ^^

Both hero Setup timing and the retaining of an "extra" card through a mulligan were hashed out in this thread:

Follow up question to that quest's unique end boss:

He is immune to player card effects. As far as I remember, this means cards like Faint do not work, but cards like weapon attachments (which e.g. boost attached characters values) do count. What about cards like Quick Strike or Hands Upon the Bow? They state: exhaust a character to declare an attack. Can that attack target the unique enemy?

Quick Strike works. Hands upon the Bow does not. Please do not drill down into why. :)

If HUtB does not work, then leadership Eomer and lore Haldir of Lorien won't work, too?

If no "why" - is there a list which do work? ;)

There's a why of sorts, I was half-kidding. Basically, cards that allow you to perform a true framework attack, but temporally displaced from its regular time, will work—Quick Strike, Oath of Eorl. (Ambush is an interesting case, as it would've worked except it can't get attached to an Immune enemy in the first place.)

Other cards will not work. This includes Haldir and leadership Eomer.

By the way, although this does not solve all cases, this gem is from the FAQ:

Q: Are there any player cards that allow me to attack an enemy in the staging area if it is immune to player card effects?
A: No. None.

Edited by sappidus

thanks!