Paint Matching Question

By stootchmaster, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

I'm trying my hand at some repaints and want to do an Imperial Squad all in the style and color of the red TIE Interceptor from the Imperial Aces pack and the red TIE Defender from the Imperial Veterans pack.

Can anyone tell me the shade of red that matches those ships?

It will probably have to be Warhammer paints because that's mostly what I see at my local game shops. There aren't any dedicated model shops around.

Thanks!

Edited by stootchmaster

I'd say the Mephiston Red is an accurate start.

I used Reaper's Blood Red to do a fairly close match, but Mephiston should work as well. If you find it too bright, a wash of Carroburg Crimson will tone it down.

We should make a paint matching thread.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:57 PM, KCDodger said:

We should make a paint matching thread.

Totally! I am fighting with the Imperial Tie colour used by FFG. For now following advice to mix and match some grey and blues, but it is tedious.

Pweatty pwease, oh Almighty Moderators!

9 hours ago, Schanez said:

Totally! I am fighting with the Imperial Tie colour used by FFG. For now following advice to mix and match some grey and blues, but it is tedious.

You going for Imperial Grey or Blue?

For Imperial Grey I've found that Tamiya's XF-19 Sky Grey with a Nuln Oil (1:4, Nuln:Windex) wash matches nicely.

jbF4vUR.jpg IMADKrK.jpg

^(Difference in lighting. TIE Striker has a lamp directly overhead, TIE Silencer does not)

For Imperial Blue I've been using a base coat of Citadel's Stegadon Scale Green Base and a thinned coat or dry brushed coat of Citdael's Lothern Blue Layer (depending on model texture).

Bjr4ulr.jpg fm57TjU.jpg

(^Missile pods and engine bracket painted to match FFG blue model; both use dry brushed Lothern Blue approach)

Wu03aXo.jpg

(^TIE Avenger uses the thinned coat of Lothern Blue. Mk VI Interceptor shows Tamiya XF-19 Grey for "Imperial Grey")

try gw contrast paint and primer....

primer gray seer and contrast blood angels red.

this is what you are searching for.

black templar for panels.

is very easy to paint xwing minis with contrast paint.

I am aiming for the FFG colour for my dial upgrade kits. I want to match them with the ships. Not to hijack the OP topic, I will just thank for the advice on the color matching. I have asked on @MacrossVF1 thread and got the reply with this painting reference .