RitR: More questions

By DarthMustilidus, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Hey peoples,

Couple of questions for the Armadawebz tonight:

1. You are not tabled if your fleet is reduced to just Flotillas in RitR, correct?

2. There is no way to take a commander upgrade card, correct? Or could you trade in 40 points of Y-Wings to equip Dodonna to your non-flotilla, non-task force commander-occupied flagship or acquire a commander upgrade card via some other method?

The "no unique ship upgrades at fleet creation" clause seems to prevent starting a fleet with a commander card, and there are no commander icons on the map so adding one as a campaign battle reward seems out, and yet the rules carefully specify how "target enemy" card upgrades should resolve in pivotal battles while no task force commander abilities use any "target enemy" language, and how the task force commander ability is really a zero point upgrade that uses the commander slot.

I feel like you are not supposed to be able to use a commander upgrade in RitR, but if that is true then why include information on how to resolve commander specific abilities in the campaign rules supplement?

Let me know what you all think, thanks!

1--correct.

2---you start with a commander you develop using the rules in RitR. There is no way to equip a standard commander, no. But you start with the one you make, and he/she costs zero points.

EDIT: nevermind

Edited by Lemmiwinks86
50 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

You can equip one commander upgrade to your flagship if you want while fleet building. After that I think that there is no way to add one.

I don't believe this is correct. You MUST equip a 0-cost Task Force commander to any 1 ship in your fleet during Task Force fleet construction at the beginning of the campaign (page 12). Name your commander and select a single Tier 1 ability from the list of Commander Abilities (page 28). The ship it's attached to becomes your flagship.

This is a different type of commander from the standard commanders required to play Armada outside of the RitR campaign. There is no way to use 1 of the standard commanders from the game – everyone will have Task Force commanders. Also, there are no rules in RitR preventing you from placing your Task Force commander on a flotilla. Likewise, flotillas still count as part of your fleet for tabling/scoring purposes.

Edited by Yipe
46 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

You can equip one commander upgrade to your flagship if you want while fleet building. After that I think that there is no way to add one.

Page 12 is pretty clear.

”Task force are led by aspiring commanders who gain experience and develop new abilities over the course of the campaign (instead of a commander upgrade card equipped to that task force’s flagship).”

So nope, you use the commander progression rules instead.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:31 PM, DarthMustilidus said:

I feel like you are not supposed to be able to use a commander upgrade in RitR, but if that is true then why include information on how to resolve commander specific abilities in the campaign rules supplement?

My guess is that the Assign Targets section (page 24) is a holdover from the Corellian Conflict campaign.

2 hours ago, Yipe said:

I don't believe this is correct. You MUST equip a 0-cost Task Force commander to any 1 ship in your fleet during Task Force fleet construction at the beginning of the campaign (page 12). Name your commander and select a single Tier 1 ability from the list of Commander Abilities (page 28). The ship it's attached to becomes your flagship.

This is a different type of commander from the standard commanders required to play Armada outside of the RitR campaign. There is no way to use 1 of the standard commanders from the game – everyone will have Task Force commanders. Also, there are no rules in RitR preventing you from placing your Task Force commander on a flotilla. Likewise, flotillas still count as part of your fleet for tabling/scoring purposes.

2 hours ago, RobertK said:

Page 12 is pretty clear.

”Task force are led by aspiring commanders who gain experience and develop new abilities over the course of the campaign (instead of a commander upgrade card equipped to that task force’s flagship).”

So nope, you use the commander progression rules instead.

You're absolutely right, my actual copy of the campaign isn't here yet and I read from the pictures of the rulebook I could find. I confused the Fleet building of the Task Force format with the campaign ones, thinking they were built the same way.

Hopefully your copy arrives soon – it’s really well done and super fun to play!

4 hours ago, Yipe said:

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that the task force commander can be placed on a Flotilla.

The RitR rules indicate that the task force commander is counted as a zero point value upgrade that uses the commander slot. I can't remember the page that is on and I've lent my RitR rules book to a friend so I don't have it available to reference, but I know this detail is in there.

Then the current Armada FAQ clearly states that Flotillas cannot equip a commander upgrade card.

To me, those two facts would seem to indicate that the TF commander cannot be placed on a Flotilla.

58 minutes ago, DarthMustilidus said:

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that the task force commander can be placed on a Flotilla.

I must respectfully agree with your disagreement of my original assertion 😅

Page 4 of the FAQ clearly states a commander cannot be equipped to a flotilla, and a Task Force commander is still a commander. Therefore, flotilla flagships are a no-go in RitR (until someone else comes along and proves otherwise). Please forgive my mistake. I thought this particular ruling was in the Tournament Regs, along with the part about flotillas and tabling, in which case it wouldn't apply to campaign play, but it's right there in the FAQ.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:31 PM, DarthMustilidus said:

1. You are not tabled if your fleet is reduced to just Flotillas in RitR, correct?

As stated above, you are correct. For reference, you will only find the "tabling" rules regarding flotillas in the Tournament Regulations. Look under "End of Round" and "One Player Defeated."

This rule states that "At the end of a game round, all of one player's ships that are not flotillas are destroyed. The player with at least one ship remaining earns a win and the opposing player receives a loss."

Having said all of that, in one campaign I am playing in we decided to play with the "tabling rule" and are using the following rules:
- Player that has been tabled loses the battle.
- Ships still on the table (including squadrons and flotillas) are not considered destroyed and therefore are not scarred.
- Score points for the winner as equivalent to the full fleet cost. If allies are included in the fight, the full 45 points are added.

Question on Exogorths:

when being placed can they be placed touching debris fields or only asteroids?

Looking at the rules it only says "placed touching an obstacle"

5 hours ago, eliteone said:

Question on Exogorths:

when being placed can they be placed touching debris fields or only asteroids?

Looking at the rules it only says "placed touching an obstacle"

They can be placed touching either the debris fields or asteroids.

The general rule is that the exogorth obstacle must be placed touching another obstacle. Touching another obstacle could potentially include the following: asteroids, debris fields, dust clouds, the station and the gravity rift as those are all obstacles. However, currently there are only 2 objectives that use exogorths (Asteroid Tactics and Infested Fields) and they only use the debris fields and asteroids. You can place the exogorths touching either of those obstacle types. Who knows, maybe we'll get a gravity rift + exogorth objective in the future to mimic a certain Star Wars movie!

Note: When placing an exogorth obstacle they cannot overlap ships, other obstacles or tokens.

Do you use the full 6 obstacles if the objective you're playing doesn't specify what obstacles to use?

Unless specifically stated by the objective, when instructed to place obstacles it means the standard 6 obstacles that come in the Core set (x1 station, x2 debris fields, x3 asteroids).

I've looked through the rules several times and can't find where it states that if you're reduced to flotillas the game plays on or doesn't count as a tableing. Where in the rules is this?

Ok so after going over thing we ran into some more stuff:

If you only have squadrons left because all your ships died or retreated, do your opponents score points for them?

4 hours ago, SirToastsalot said:

Ok so after going over thing we ran into some more stuff:

If you only have squadrons left because all your ships died or retreated, do your opponents score points for them?

I'd assume this is treated as it was in CC - they are not counted as being 'destroyed' for scoring purposes, and they do not get scarred from it.

Edited by xanderf
2 hours ago, mhd said:

I've looked through the rules several times and can't find where it states that if you're reduced to flotillas the game plays on or doesn't count as a tableing. Where in the rules is this?

The rules for flotillas and tabling are found in the Tournament Regs . Because they're not part of the standard game rules, the scoring for flotillas doesn't count for campaign play. It's the same reason why tournament scoring isn't part of campaigns either. Of course, you can import this tournament rule if you wish, though it may have other consequences for 200-point Task Force games.

2 hours ago, mhd said:

The tabling-with-flotillas rule isn't in the Armada rules. It is in the Tournament rules.

In normal Armada a game ends as soon as one player no longer has any ships. In a Tournament, that changes to being only non-flotilla ships, and it changes to ending at the end of that round.

So as a RitR game isn't a Tournament game (unless you are playing a RitR Tournament, or decide to use Tournament rules), the default Armada rules apply.

21 minutes ago, xanderf said:

I'd assume this is treated as it was in CC - they are counted as being 'destroyed' for scoring purposes, but they do not get scarred from it.

The ships are definitely, it was a question if the squadrons left get scored or not. They say to score battles according to pg 9 of the RRG which only references things that are destroyed. So the ships that jumped are specifically destroyed for scoring purposes, but the squadrons that are left it doesn't say anything so were not 100% sure.

1 hour ago, SirToastsalot said:

So the ships that jumped are specifically destroyed for scoring purposes, but the squadrons that are left it doesn't say anything so were not 100% sure.

This was answered in the FAQ (page 9). Squadrons are not treated as destroyed and do not count as scarred.

I have another. If imperials have a presence on Concord Dawn and stage an assault on Mandalor. Would the rebel fleet defending Mandalor get the Low Supplies condition since it is only really accessible via Concord dawn? This would apply for Nal Hutta as well. Is a sub-area a separate entity on it's own or a subset of the Area is particular?

Edited by mhd

Another question.

We're arguing about obstacle placement now. When placing the 6 obstacles on the 3x3 map, do the have to be distance 3 from all board edges or do they just have to be distance 3 from the player's edges.

The rules to me on page 10 of the RRG seem pretty clear that obstacles must be range 3 from any board edge, not just the players board edge. I've tried arguing that setup area and where obstacles can go are not quite the same thing. His argument is the diagram on page 25 of the RitR rules shows a diagram with the setup area only being the gap between the deployment zones. My argument is it defines the setup are as the full 3x6 mat and the only restriction to placing obstacles in the deployment area the line that says obstacles must be placed distance 3 from the board edge, but since it doesn't say player's edges it should be from all edges.

Who's right in this? And can someone provide some info and rules stuff as to why?

6 hours ago, SirToastsalot said:

And can someone provide some info and rules stuff as to why?

As you noted, page 10 of the Rules Reference, under "Setup" says:

Obstacles must be placed within the setup area, beyond distance 3 of the edges of the play area and beyond distance 1 of each other.

These are part of the standard setup rules. These rules apply to every game unless there is some specific rule (different format, objective, upgrade card) that overrides them.

There is nothing in the Task Force Battles rules, or elsewhere in the Rules Reference, that says to change that rule.

When FFG streamed a Task Force game, unfortunately they skipped over setup - but it looks like at least one obstacle was placed right up against a distance 3 line, so I'm taking that as a hint the distance 3 rule applies. But I might be wrong - a couple of obstacles could be a bit closer than distance 3.

While I can see an argument for the obstacles only needing to be outside Deployment Zones (so beyond distance 3 of the player edges), if the rules wanted to say that they would. For a normal 3' x 6' game the "beyond distance 3 of the 3' edges" part of the rule is irrelevant, so I think it is there for the 3' x 3' games.

But as with everything, if you want to house rule it, do so - just agree before you start playing.

Edited by Grumbleduke
I overcomplicated things the first time.