When are Guarded Player Cards attached?

By AllWingsStandyingBy, in Rules questions & answers

I've been using Ring of Thror and a few other Guarded player cards a bit, but I am a bit lost as to when and how they are claimed and attached by a player. Most of the guarded objectives in Encounter Decks (e.g. Escape from Dol Goldur) seem to have an action to claim and attach them once they are freed from their encounter card, but the player cards with Guarded seem to be lacking this.

If I kill an enemy that was guarding Glamdring , when can Glamdring be claimed and attached by a player? Immediately? During the next Planning Phase when other attachments are played? Can any player claim and attach Glamdring, regardless of who the enemy guarding it was engaged with?

Thanks!

From the The Wilds of Rhovanion rule book:

"A player card attachment with the guarded (X) keyword cannot be attached to a character until it is free of encounters. Once free of encounters, its owner gains control of it and attaches it to an eligible card."

So immediately after the location is explored or the enemy is killed.

11 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Immediately? During the next Planning Phase when other attachments are played? Can any player claim and attach Glamdring, regardless of who the enemy guarding it was engaged with?

Immediately, and without needing a specific action

It's still the player who owned it and played it in the first place who takes control of it and actually attaches it to a character, but as with all attachments the owner can play it across the table on any eligible character he chooses.

15 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Most of the guarded objectives in Encounter Decks (e.g. Escape from Dol Goldur) seem to have an action to claim and attach them once they are freed from their encounter card, but the player cards with Guarded seem to be lacking this.

Perhaps of some note: there are some encounter objectives that similarly do not take an Action (or even a Response) to claim, e.g., in The Three Trials. The claiming of those occurs at constant-effect speed (essentially immediately), as per the objective's text.

Another question , Can I use Foe-hammer imme diately after kill the enemy and get the guarded weapon?

56 minutes ago, kainveus said:

Another question , Can I use Foe-hammer imme diately after kill the enemy and get the guarded weapon?

I don't see why not, the attachment is a passive effect and will precede responses.

I'm not sure Foe-hammer works like that, I think there was a ruling somewhere you can't use Glamdring on the enemy you just destroyed to get Glamdring. To me that would be the same timing.

Well, there is a ruling that you can use a Foe-Hammer that you just drew while playing Foe-hammer:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/762544/question-about-card-valiant-sacrifice-core-set-rec/page/2

But the trigger is subtly different. Foe-Hammer relies on "hero you control destroys an enemy", exhausting a weapon is just the cost, so I don't think it matters that the weapon wasn't attached at the time of destruction itself as long as it's attached at the time of the response -- just as it doesn't matter that a Foe-hammer drawn by Foe-hammer wasn't in your hand at the time of destruction, only that it was in your hand at the time of the response.

In the case of Glamdring, it responds to "attached character destroys an enemy", and the character wasn't attached when the enemy was destroyed. So if you treat attached as a requirement rather than merely a description, you could exclude the response.

But if you could find the actual ruling it might illuminate things -- if the ruling excluded Glamdring based on the response window completing *before* the attachment occurred, it would indeed rule-out using Glamdring for Foe-Hammer. But that would run contrary to what we've been told about passive/forced effects preceding responses.

13 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

But if you could find the actual ruling it might illuminate things

Said Glamdring ruling is here:

I generally agree that this Foe-hammer use being discussed is different, and should be legal.