Captain Rex Commands

By manoftomorrow010, in Star Wars: Legion

Hold

5 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

His 2 pip will come down to this:

Does the squad need the aim token at the start of their activation OR can they aim as one of their actions to also increase their range.

If they require the aim token at the start of their activation, then this card will take a lot to make it work.

I don't think token sharing works because in the rule book it says that clone troopers can use tokens that adjacent clones have, but it doesn't say that they "have" the token. I assume their will be an FFQ about this card..

***HOLD THE PHONE! Game changer coming through!***

Just checked the RRG under Clone Trooper:

A clone trooper unit may spend the green tokens of a friendly clone trooper unit at range 1 and in line of sight as if they were their own .

Does that mean what I think? If so, yeah that a powerful 2 pip that is better that the 1 pip!

6 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

His 2 pip will come down to this:

Does the squad need the aim token at the start of their activation OR can they aim as one of their actions to also increase their range.

I think there's no doubt you can take the aim during your activation. The order token doesn't get flipped over until after your activation is done, so with an aim+shoot you would satisfy both requirements.

Just now, JediPartisan said:

Hold

***HOLD THE PHONE! Game changer coming through!***

Just checked the RRG under Clone Trooper:

A clone trooper unit may spend the green tokens of a friendly clone trooper unit at range 1 and in line of sight as if they were their own .

Does that mean what I think? If so, yeah that a powerful 2 pip that is better that the 1 pip!

They can spend as if they were their own. They don't actually have them.

10 minutes ago, nashjaee said:

They can spend as if they were their own. They don't actually have them.

With that kind of wording, things like this have worked in X-Wing.

Its also dependant on the translation. The translation also says, “ When a friendly infantry unit performs a ranged attack while having a faceup order token and an Aim token, during the "gather a attack dice pool" step that unit can increase the máx imum range of e very weapon by 1 (to a máximum of 4)"

This could mean you can increase the range of a unit you want to include in a Fire Support with the unit. It may be a stretch, but we are dealing with a translation.

Yeah, I guess I’m an optimist. 🙄 😁
I’d say the 2 pip needs a ruling/faq and it’s not legitimately spoiled yet. Lol

Edited by JediPartisan
3 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

With that kind of wording, things like this have worked in X-Wing.

Its also dependant on the translation. The translation also says, “ When a friendly infantry unit performs a ranged attack while having a faceup order token and an Aim token, during the "gather a attack dice pool" step that unit can increase the máx imum range of e very weapon by 1 (to a máximum of 4)"

This could mean you can increase the range of a unit you want to include in a Fire Support with the unit. It may be a stretch, but we are dealing with a translation.

Yeah, I guess I’m an optimist. 🙄 😁

Haha, I hope it works that way! Would be quite strong.

Yeah we'll need to wait for the translation to be sure but I have my doubts. My Spanish hasn't degraded that much yet; the card says "esa unidad puede", which means "that unit may". So I don't think the ability would extend to a Fire Supporting unit. Unless they also have an aim token themselves 😁 . Which is making me realize that electrobinoculars might actually be pretty good on Rex? Luckily he has 2 gear slots, otherwise I don't think there's any way I would give up Recon Intel.

7 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

If these leaks are true, Rex Pip 1 is insanely strong.... Allowing him to attack several times in a single turn???

If you're not playing Rex where he's taking multiple attacks (thereby proccing Gunslinger multiple times) in multiple turns you're not playing him correctly.

For Dooku's 1 pip, Relentless may be the understated hero here. Drop this card right before charging in and give yourself an extra action that activation.

For Rex's 2 pip, this could be a nice alpha strike when pairing with Phase 2 clones. Give them Offensive Push, scouting party them for the free aim before their activation, and let loose with range 4 on turn 1 while leaving yourself another action. If you wanted to go crazy, you could even put Offensive Push on Rex to give him tactical 2 and pull 2 aim tokens from him to help out those range 4 Z-6's.

11 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

At first I was, “wait, what”, then I looked it up.

VERSATILE (WEAPON KEYWORD) Some ranged weapons have the versatile keyword. Units can perform attacks with a versatile weapon even while engaged.

• A weapon with the versatile keyword that is not also a melee weapon cannot be used to perform a melee attack.

•A weapon with the versatile keyword that is both a ranged weapon and a melee weapon can be used to perform either a ranged attack or a melee attack.

Good catch, but still a strong card for close action with multiple units in the vicinity. Attack one unit in melee, attack another with range and use Force Push on a third. Maybe not a versatile as Grievous’s 1 pip, but still strong.

Does Arsenal 2 work with the Saber Throw attack?

People seem to be forgetting that with Rex's 1 pip since he doesn't flip his token after fire supporting he still gets to activated normally, so sure it may be difficult/dangerous to get him to a spot where he can fire support multiple times, but if hes in range to fire support then hes in range to take a shot on his activation, or have him fire support then snag an objective on his activation.

1 hour ago, Polda said:

Does Arsenal 2 work with the Saber Throw attack?

Yep.

1 hour ago, lunitic501 said:

People seem to be forgetting that with Rex's 1 pip since he doesn't flip his token after fire supporting he still gets to activated normally, so sure it may be difficult/dangerous to get him to a spot where he can fire support multiple times, but if hes in range to fire support then hes in range to take a shot on his activation, or have him fire support then snag an objective on his activation.

I missed that at first, but it was pointed out.

What people are saying is that it’s not good to have Rex at range 2 of multiple targets as he only has 5 health and can easily be taken out. This can be especially bad if he’s Fire Supporting a melee that involves Dukoo or Grievous and that attack doesn’t end them since Rex will be in range for a follow up attack from those lightsabers. Also because Rex is the Fire Support and not being Fire Supported, you miss out on surge to crit, which the clones sorely need (especially for a Z-6). What’s more is that because Rex is the only clone with a face up order token, he will be the only one to Fire Support that round and if he’s killed early, you won’t even have that.

Other than that some people still like the card, but see it as weaker than other comparable commanders’ 1 pip around his point value (Leia & Veers). I guess we’ll all have to wait and see it in action to give a final verdict

Thats the entire thread in a nut shell where Rex’s 1 pip is concerned. 😁

Use Obi Wan to Guardian Rex? Does that help at all?

so per the discord it's confirmed Rex and dooku were released in South America... wtf ffg......

upon further investigation it sounds like the case they were in was marked clone wars core

Edited by Tirion
51 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

I missed that at first, but it was pointed out.

What people are saying is that it’s not good to have Rex at range 2 of multiple targets as he only has 5 health and can easily be taken out. This can be especially bad if he’s Fire Supporting a melee that involves Dukoo or Grievous and that attack doesn’t end them since Rex will be in range for a follow up attack from those lightsabers. Also because Rex is the Fire Support and not being Fire Supported, you miss out on surge to crit, which the clones sorely need (especially for a Z-6). What’s more is that because Rex is the only clone with a face up order token, he will be the only one to Fire Support that round and if he’s killed early, you won’t even have that.

Other than that some people still like the card, but see it as weaker than other comparable commanders’ 1 pip around his point value (Leia & Veers). I guess we’ll all have to wait and see it in action to give a final verdict

Thats the entire thread in a nut shell where Rex’s 1 pip is concerned. 😁

I'm starting to agree with you. Rex 1 pip is actually quite bad when you compare it to Leia's and Veers. Leia's gives you 8 red. Veers gives you 4 red. Rex requires you to be within 12" and gives you 3 red. It has higher potential since you can get multiple shots off (2 shots makes it better than Veers, 3 makes it better than Leia's), but it isn't guaranteed and puts him in danger. The card rating can increase based on the level of his fire support. Giving it to a unit that already has surge (commandos), or whatever may be a big deal.

I give it a C rating for now.

I think his 2 pip is B+ to A+ rating depending on it's utility. We need more information. Can we gain the +1 range while fire support? Can we use aim tokens from other clones to trigger the +1 range? We also need to look at the future clone units because I suspect the strength of this card will grow with stronger units. A neat interaction will be giving grenades 12 inch range. Snap impact grenades on and surprise your opponent...

His 3 pip is a solid A. Probably the best 3 pip among the cheap commander bunch (Veers, Leia, Krennic, Jyn)

31 minutes ago, Tirion said:

so per the discord it's confirmed Rex and dooku were released in South America... wtf ffg......

upon further investigation it sounds like the case they were in was marked clone wars core

LOL what a joke. Let's see how much they'll cost on ebay in the following weeks.

47 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Is that actually confirmed? We’ve seen photos of boxes. Have any been sold?

1 hour ago, Tirion said:

This is why delaying clone wars core for a worldwide release was stupid

What does Dooku's 2-pip do? I don't understand the translation at all.

1 minute ago, Thraug said:

What does Dooku's 2-pip do? I don't understand the translation at all.

It tosses 2 of your opponent’s face up tokens into the pool, in addition to Dooku’s. Which is very likely a bigger problem for your opponent than it is for you because CIS has very good token control.

Well my 3 core sets have finally been shipped.

I really hope it’s not three sets of Dukoo and Rex. 😳

6 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

It might not be the end of the world. How good is your Spanish?

1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

It might not be the end of the world. How good is your Spanish?

It’s all Greek to me. 😳

So what are going odds right now for this mishap? And what are the odds FFG explains nothing? (It's high, it's really high)

Casue people having boxes of stuff is weird. Throw in the fact that these two commanders should have come out next year and everything is just........wierd.

16 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

On the plus side, your army would be pretty unique.

Edited by Alpha17

One thing this does inadvertently reveal is that the Republic will get some none clone infantry as his 3 pip specifically mentions clone infantry while his 2 pip just says infantry