Galactic Empire Dials - paints question

By Schanez, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Hi there, I am flirting with an idea to have myself some painted maneuver dial covers for my Imperial ships, as that is what I fly the most. From a gentle six Tie swarm to now three Ace squadron. While I really enjoy the fact, the dial covers already have the Imperial design, I am a bit puzzled in regards to paint. Hence my questions here.

1. Has anyone managed to recreate the bluish grey of the imperial ships? Using GW reference, which I am most familiar with, I'd say a darker Space Wolves Grey would work. I don't know the new name of the paint.

2. Varnish! Any preference? I was thinking of a normal spray varnish for the covers after painting. Like two or three layers to prevent chipping.

3. Disassembly of the paper dials, is it actually possible to do without damaging the dial itself? The black plastic lock has a super tight fit.

1 hour ago, Schanez said:

3. Disassembly of the paper dials, is it actually possible to do without damaging the dial itself? The black plastic lock has a super tight fit.

Yes. You just have to go slow and steady. Pry only on the black plastic axle. Best to do so from both sides. Just sort of get your nails under the flanges and wiggle them apart. Do not try to use the paper as a lever on the plastic. That will tear them. I presume it will. I made sure not to try that way.

I use a spoon. Does not damage to the card dial if touches it.

7 hours ago, Schanez said:

2. Varnish! Any preference? I was thinking of a normal spray varnish for the covers after painting. Like two or three layers to prevent chipping.

10060935.jpg?fit=inside%7C540:540

Testors Dullcote. Just one layer should be fine.

Thank you for the replies. I will first paint the dial covers before even attempting to dismantle my current dials.

Does anyone have any advice on recreating the bluish grey of the FFG painting style? A washed Celestra Grey and Fenriaian Grey in a 1:3 or 1:2 might be close. I'd just like the dials to be as close to the models as possible, without repainting the models themselves.

The old Shadow Grey looks perfect. The Fang is the new equivalent. I would use it a base and play with wash and drybrush to match the exact tone.