Proximity mines again.

By booooooze, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Card says "before deploying fleets" but mentions "beyond distance 5 of enemy ships".

Anything I'm missing here? Is it just to account for some other "before deploying fleets" effect that puts an enemy ship in play?

No, you're not missing anything. There is currently nothing that would allow/force a ship to deploy "before deploying fleets" or before that. However, it could happen in the future. Maybe an upgrade or objective that forces the enemy to deploy a ship after placing obstacles?

I've seen people suggest that the card was meant to say "after deploying fleets," but that would make proximity mines too powerful IMO, even with the range restriction.

Its wording for potential future stuff.

As long as I'm at it: when attacking the mines, they're treated as a squad. So if one was on an obstacle, it would be obstructed, and on a dust field, impossible to hit?

thx

29 minutes ago, booooooze said:

As long as I'm at it: when attacking the mines, they're treated as a squad. So if one was on an obstacle, it would be obstructed, and on a dust field, impossible to hit?

thx

Correct.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:44 PM, Bertie Wooster said:

Correct.

Which, as it turns out, is loads of fun to set up when your opponent only has single-dice flak 😂