To FFG OP: Why was the Midwest left out of Primes?

By Trogdor04, in Star Wars: Armada Organized Play

It is really disturbing and disappointing that Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin were left out of the Prime location pool. Starting last year we saw the Midwest started loosing regionals where Ohio and Indiana were really the only ones. Now those are gone too. What is going on? Why wasn't more Midwest locations chosen? At least here in Ohio, we've been told by many stores that they applied, even ones that have hosted regionals before, but they were not chosen. You have 2 in the Louisville, Kentucky area, 2 in the Seattle, Washington area (3 total for Washington), 2 in the Chicago, Illinois area and 2 in Los Angeles, California area (3 total for California). There is noting wrong with having multiple in the same state or even the same city but it's an insult when other player hubs like Detroit, Michigan and Columbus, Ohio that have had "reasonable" access to Regional or Prime tournaments in the past have nothing now. Please add more Midwest dates!!!! You are not helping us grow the game by having such a limited Prime pool.

Edited by Trogdor04

@Drasnighta OP is not a department to choose from. Which one would you suggest?

Marketing and/or press. Be creative. Hit as many points as even tangentially appropriate ๐Ÿ˜

Additionally, OP has a Facebook presence and you can also get them there.

Customer service? General? Either one should be forwarded to OP if you state clearly that is the intended destination at the beginning of your message.

OP has a direct e-mail

[email protected]

Our local players are baffled as to why weโ€™ve been shafted. And on top of that some states get two or three Prime Championships.

Does this mean weโ€™ll just never get one again? What a blow to our tournament scene.

I'm feeling very lucky that we got one in the New England area. With that being said I am hoping more will be announced as I can't fathom that Australia won't be getting any type of "Prime" events.

It's a bit of a kick in the pants for us Ohio players - it reinforces the belief that FFG just doesn't really care much about Armada. Sure, we have two expansions recently and two ships in the pipeline (with not much info outside of their announcement), but lack of community support isn't a good sign. I'd love to see FFG fix the huge gap and give people a chance for organized play, but I guess I'm not holding my breath.

They should add more events in the Mid-West and if they can't add more they should move some from cities that got 2. There is no reason for a city to have 2 prime events while there are whole states that have none!

I think we no-good Washington players stole your tourneys, because we used to have no regionals.

Sorry about this, it's a pretty inexplicable decision for OP.

It's especially odd considering how strong the Midwest scene is and has been throughout the games lifespan. It's a huge void to have in an area packed with activity.

Edited by ForceSensitive
6 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I think we no-good Washington players stole your tourneys, because we used to have no regionals.

Sorry about this, it's a pretty inexplicable decision for OP.

No hate to any areas that got Primes, just disappointed in FFG.

Apparently, the response we received was "deal with it" until next year, when store championships come back after Worlds 2020. So that's that, I guess.

Well, we should have at least Gencon in Indy. That is kinda a big deal.

I'd really like to see something in Columbus though. Origins, no offense, is not the game convention it used to be. Not in a bad way, just that games like tabletop war games and card games don't seem to be a focus of theirs anymore. For as big a gaming community as the Midwest is we could probably reasonably use another convention in the vein of Adepticon.

5 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

Well, we should have at least Gencon in Indy. That is kinda a big deal.

I'd really like to see something in Columbus though. Origins, no offense, is not the game convention it used to be. Not in a bad way, just that games like tabletop war games and card games don't seem to be a focus of theirs anymore. For as big a gaming community as the Midwest is we could probably reasonably use another convention in the vein of Adepticon.

You could always try to set up a major event. I think it was @stonestokes who created the Spokane open, no FFG involvement whatsoever. Definitely a ton of work though.

This is how it's always been for certain areas. There have been years when the nearest regional for SoCal was Phoenix Arizona, because yes, that is closer to us than San Francisco. Even players playing in local events here in LA can expect to drive upwards of 2 to 3 hours to go to a prime in their own city.

Not saying that I dont have sympathy for those areas that didnt get one, because I absolutely do, just saying that I think 2LA and assume it works. LA and it's suburbs have roughly 3 to 4 independent armada communities with very little overlap because playing at another store may as well be another state. And that doesn't even take into account the healthy San Diego Armada community.

@The Jabbawookie Oh no, I'm good. I've already got a full time job LMAO ๐Ÿ˜… ๐Ÿ˜‚

At least in PA we have CAPA Cup and PAX Unplugged. I'll probably go to PAX and pretend it's my Regional.

The article claims that it was updated on 10/15/19 now. I can't see anything that was updated, am I blind or was something added/changed?

5 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

At least in PA we have CAPA Cup and PAX Unplugged. I'll probably go to PAX and pretend it's my Regional.

CAPA Cup (capacup.net) is near Hershey, PA on October 26. We are going to have excellent prize support (Hershey Park is nearby for families). Wish we had applied for a Prime event given the lack of events in the area. I think Virginia (250 miles away) is the closest.

3 hours ago, Rfrankum said:

Wish we had applied for a Prime event given the lack of events in the area.

This is the next question I'd be asking, basically... Has it been confirmed that stores in the area did apply and were denied ?

There was some controversy this year over some people stating the timeframe to do so was "poorly communicated", after all.

Edited by Drasnighta
15 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

This is the next question I'd be asking, basically... Has it been confirmed that stores in the area did apply and were denied ?

There was some controversy this year over some people stating the timeframe to do so was "poorly communicated", after all.

That seems to be what the OP is claiming happened in Ohio. I'm not a store owner, so I don't know what happened, which is why I don't want to throw blame on FFG without knowing more. I've yet to see anyone screenshot a "Prime denied" email from FFG, if that's what it takes to confirm anything.

But speaking as a regular player (meaning: not a store owner), getting a Prime is a mysterious process. When I asked local stores if there will be a tournament this season, they tell me to keep an eye on their Facebook page. And I do, but that doesn't bring Primes. What more can regular players do to ensure/encourage more Primes?

Edited by Bertie Wooster
3 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

That seems to be what the OP is claiming happened in Ohio. I'm not a store owner, so I don't know what happened, which is why I don't want to throw blame on FFG without knowing more. I've yet to see anyone screenshot a "Prime denied" email from FFG, if that's what it takes to confirm anything.

But speaking as a regular player (meaning: not a store owner), getting a Prime is a mysterious process. When I asked local stores if there will be a tournament this season, they tell me to keep an eye on their Facebook page. And I do, but that doesn't bring Primes. What more can regular players do to ensure/encourage more Primes?

Here's what I did: I saw a post from the FFG OP Facebook page (on here, but now I follow it) and sent it over to the guy that I work with at my local store. He was unaware of the application window, but I was able to get it to him in time.

That said, that's an awful system. The real issue is that due to the issues with restocking and the ridiculous release schedule, I think a lot of stores have just kind of stopped carrying Armada. Armada is not a moneymaker for these stores, so they just don't care about it that much unless we're pressing them to schedule things.

Edited by JauntyChapeau
3 hours ago, JauntyChapeau said:

Here's what I did: I saw a post from the FFG OP Facebook page (on here, but now I follow it) and sent it over to the guy that I work with at my local store. He was unaware of the application window, but I was able to get it to him in time.

That said, that's an awful system. The real issue is that due to the issues with restocking and the ridiculous release schedule, I think a lot of stores have just kind of stopped carrying Armada. Armada is not a moneymaker for these stores, so they just don't care about it that much unless we're pressing them to schedule things.

I just started following FFG OP; thanks for the tip. I sent them an email too.

The stores near me (Top Deck Games, The Games Keep) still carry Armada, and host non-FFG Armada tournaments (offer store credit as a prize), so I'd be surprised if "lack of interest" is the reason for them not hosting a Prime. TDG hosted a Regional last year and they offered a 15 percent discount off of Star Wars stuff after the tournament; really nice guys.