Playing raids on other maps

By cwh008, in Legends of the Alliance

I only have the core and the 3 big box expansions, but really wanted to play raid. So I fudged the board a bit and created my own map to play - as close to the real map with the pieces I own. And had a blast.

So I came up with new random maps, just based on what looks good, and connects, and play with these maps and have had even more fun. A few house rules based on how the 12/4 tokens are placed and where the deployment zones are, but it's not like the app tracks movement. I think there is a ton more fun to be had with this

40 minutes ago, cwh008 said:

I only have the core and the 3 big box expansions, but really wanted to play raid. So I fudged the board a bit and created my own map to play - as close to the real map with the pieces I own. And had a blast.

So I came up with new random maps, just based on what looks good, and connects, and play with these maps and have had even more fun. A few house rules based on how the 12/4 tokens are placed and where the deployment zones are, but it's not like the app tracks movement. I think there is a ton more fun to be had with this

Might we see your custom Raid maps and house rules?

You could also print the map from the announcement article.

I'll get a pic next time we set up.

As far as house rules, it's more for setting up the map. I always start with a room in the middle for the group spawn and it must have exits on all four sides. Then I put big rooms in the 4 corners and make up fun ways to connect them all. They don't always turn out perfect, but have yet to play one that wasn't fun.

Then when setting up the crates and data points, I spread them out to mimic the app as best as possible, so I can still "track" the proper ones on the app. Same with the imperial spawn points. After that, play it like the app says.

Oh, and the only rule change we made is at the start of round 3 and round 5 you get your characters exp 3 and exp 4 cards respectively. We still don't make it with all 4 char getting out alive.

I have some jumbo graph paper and the large grids are almost the exact size of a tile( slightly larger actually). I drew out both raid maps on there using appropriate color markers. It's definitely not as fancy not having the background graphics but figured it was good enough to at least give Raid a try. Of course I have still not tried it as I've been busy painting my miniatures in what little spare time I've had.

That's a pretty genius idea

That's awesome! I'm gonna try my own customized Raid this weekend. Nice.