Adopted peasent desaventage

By ChuiSaoul, in Lore Discussion

Whene you make a PC with the adopted peasent trait do you give him is adopted familly ability or the peasent familly. Cause familly stats are supposed to represent the way you were raised and stuff. So if you were adopted as an adult, you were raised as a peasent right ? So peasent familly trait ?

I'd be happy to let them do either, depending upon when in their life they were adopted. As you say, an ashigaru promoted to the samurai class due to bravery is a completely different thing than a child adopted in recognition of generations of service.

I agree with Tonbo Karasu. If the character was adopted prior to their training, then you build the character first and the adopted name is from the family selected during character. If adopted later in life, then the stats should remain the same with only the character's family name changing.

Example:

Adopted as a Child- Kaito Yuki, Choses Phoenix Clan and Kaito Family(or peasant family) during character creation.

Adopted later in life, Born and Gempuku as Hida Kaede-, Choses Crab Clan and Hida Family(or peasant family) during Character creation. Later adopted into the Mirumoto Clan.

Just my worthless two cents.

Edited by neilcell
On 10/9/2019 at 7:41 PM, ChuiSaoul said:

Whene you make a PC with the adopted peasent trait do you give him is adopted familly ability or the peasent familly. Cause familly stats are supposed to represent the way you were raised and stuff. So if you were adopted as an adult, you were raised as a peasent right ? So peasent familly trait ?

Pardon my thread necromancy, but for all it's worth, here's my two cents: in the case of a peasant would go with the adopted family for mechanical reasons - this is where he/she learned to be a samurai. I don't think we have stats for peasants, or non-samurai monks for that matter. I interpret the family stats for the great clans to be applicable only for the samurai, not the commoners or hi-nin in their lands.

In the case of a samurai, the birth family would be more appropriate. In a way, it is not like marrying into a clan: you have a new clan and lord/lady to serve, but you are still you. The exception is if they were adopted very early on and were essentially raised among their new clan.

Edited by The_Shaman
On 11/15/2019 at 11:46 AM, The_Shaman said:

I don't think we have stats for peasants, or non-samurai monks for that matter.

Rise from the dust, in the gm's section, has rules for a generic peasant family.

Ohh, you're right. Thanks!

I still think that going with the adoptive samurai family would be a better fit in most games, at least mechanically, unless you're looking for a bit of extra challenge. Thematically, it also makes some sense if it's a starting character: if you managed to get adopted, you are now part of the clan and they should make sure your skills are up to date and you are not an embarrassment.

Edited by The_Shaman