Too much in the mytho phase

By Wiouds, in Arkham Horror

Who else feel too much is happens during the mytho phase? Be it too much down time or too many events happen during it.

I feel that too much happens during the mytho phase. I think two tokens for each players is a bit much. It adds more step for the down time and the allow for overwhelming the player too fast.

I also find the mythos phase and its mechanics to be the least exciting thing about AH3 and fully agree that too much can happen in it without players getting a chance to respond to it.

In combination with the very boring monster combat mechanic the game at tiles feel like a pretty dull affair. Lots of shine but very little heart put into it 😕

i still enjoy it and hoping a big expansion comes offering big changes but right now im looking forward to dead of night!

I'm guessing you're playing with a higher player count. With 1-2 players it's pretty minor, with 3-4 it's a bit more aggravating, but with 5-6 you're going through almost the entire bag each time.

We draw all of them one-at-a-time, but we draw them all back-to-back-to-back. We also split who does what: someone in charge of doom & gate bursts and assigning clues (handing them to whoever's not doing anything so they can shuffle them in to the top of the deck), someone else adds the doom/clue tokens to the board, someone else counts through the tokens in sequence. It cuts down on the downtime.

As for overwhelming, the higher player counts are prone to bigger swings as the doom can overwhelm 1 or 2 areas of the board. They can also respond more effectively (if they aren't all in a corner location) and clear 1 or 2 anomalies and clear (or nearly clear) the board of monsters.

Essentially, your trading for board control for increased doom accumulation. You also have the ability to find clues at an accelerated rate. It's a trade-off.

I think delegation and pulling tokens faster keeps people engaged. If only 1 person is doing all the token placement and card manipulation, the rest of the players will feel the downtime.

Edited by Duciris
On 10/9/2019 at 5:37 AM, Attackmack said:

I also find the mythos phase and its mechanics to be the least exciting thing about AH3 and fully agree that too much can happen in it without players getting a chance to respond to it.

In combination with the very boring monster combat mechanic the game at tiles feel like a pretty dull affair. Lots of shine but very little heart put into it 😕

i still enjoy it and hoping a big expansion comes offering big changes but right now im looking forward to dead of night!

I find the pace is too much. IT so fast that at time it feels like that you ate the whims of RNG like a roll and move game.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:26 AM, Duciris said:

I'm guessing you're playing with a higher player count. With 1-2 players it's pretty minor, with 3-4 it's a bit more aggravating, but with 5-6 you're going through almost the entire bag each time.

We draw all of them one-at-a-time, but we draw them all back-to-back-to-back. We also split who does what: someone in charge of doom & gate bursts and assigning clues (handing them to whoever's not doing anything so they can shuffle them in to the top of the deck), someone else adds the doom/clue tokens to the board, someone else counts through the tokens in sequence. It cuts down on the downtime.

As for overwhelming, the higher player counts are prone to bigger swings as the doom can overwhelm 1 or 2 areas of the board. They can also respond more effectively (if they aren't all in a corner location) and clear 1 or 2 anomalies and clear (or nearly clear) the board of monsters.

Essentially, your trading for board control for increased doom accumulation. You also have the ability to find clues at an accelerated rate. It's a trade-off.

I think delegation and pulling tokens faster keeps people engaged. If only 1 person is doing all the token placement and card manipulation, the rest of the players will feel the downtime.

I find after 7 investigators action phase that the mytho has out pace the players so much.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:26 PM, Duciris said:

Exactly. That's the reason why I keep telling the game doesn't scale properly: even if the number of tokens is proportional to the players in the game, scaling still doesn't work because effects can snowball before investigators can react. One thing is:

a) Investigator A resolves their turn
b) Mythos for Investigator A
c) Investigator B keeps playing

and another one is resolving a chain of 12 tokens, especially when there's a reshuffling of the chaos bag in between so that you can pull two gate bursts on the same neighborhood in a row, or two reckoning effects. It's bonkers.

I'd suggest to go this way: 2 per player until you reach 6 tokens, then resolve an extra token per player. When you setup for 4+ players, remove a blank from the Mythos cup.

7 hours ago, Julia said:

Exactly. That's the reason why I keep telling the game doesn't scale properly: even if the number of tokens is proportional to the players in the game, scaling still doesn't work because effects can snowball before investigators can react. One thing is:

a) Investigator A resolves their turn
b) Mythos for Investigator A
c) Investigator B keeps playing

and another one is resolving a chain of 12 tokens, especially when there's a reshuffling of the chaos bag in between so that you can pull two gate bursts on the same neighborhood in a row, or two reckoning effects. It's bonkers.

I'd suggest to go this way: 2 per player until you reach 6 tokens, then resolve an extra token per player. When you setup for 4+ players, remove a blank from the Mythos cup.

I thinking in the terms of seven investigator action phases or 14 investigator actions because that is one cycle of the typical mytho bag. The only different in the number of investigators is the pattern of investigator actions and mythos. One cycle of a typical bag will place 8 problems to the board. two of which will require movements to handle. Investigators have only two actions that counter the mythos. To go along with this often movement is needed. It does not help that clue is also location base as well. Even worse I find there is no real room to ignore the problems from the mytho bag.

Edited by Wiouds

Yeah, I think the Mythos is miscalibrated as well. With three or more players, the game has too much of a tendency to outpace you and leave you with virtually no ability to regain control, which is unfortunate because there are so many awesome things about the game's design that this overly-erratic difficulty curve kind of takes the spotlight away from.

On the plus side, this is also fairly easily fixable as a sort of a house-rule difficulty slider.

Edited by Einlanzer80

I totally agree with you, I thought I was the one seeing things that way.

Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip

Edited by sneazzy95

One of the best gaming session I have had in this game was with 5 players! Really tight game and always something useful to do!

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
Typo

I find the Mythos phase to be overly punishing, especially when compared to 2nd edition, EH, or AH: LCG, primarily due to the headlines deck. I hate the headline deck and think it easily the worst part about 3rd edition. All it does is hurt you. You *MIGHT* luck out and get something decent but usually you are losing clues, taking damage, or taking horror. Even worse, is they often make zero sense. You're hanging out at Velma's Diner? Well, you're now cursed because a visiting academic gave a lecture on Egypt across town.

I hoped with the expansion they would at least give us a couple of semi-neutral headlines and I believe we got a few, but it doesn't really improve the situation any. I'd much rather have a card that smacks me than draw punishment tokens.

Can't this be mitigated by adding one or two blank tokens to the mythos bag?

Edited by Vinicius Lessa

The players Are more powerfull from the befinning so it needs to balance with hard mythos.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:08 AM, Hannibal_pjv said:

The players Are more powerfull from the befinning so it needs to balance with hard mythos.

That is funny because I find the investigator are weaker in this game compared to the others.

I've said it elsewhere, but I believe the biggest issues with the scaling are the elite monster mechanics and with the lack of increasing doom allowance with investigators. I like using the mythos cup to adjust difficulty, but that's not really a good solution to the scaling issue itself.

IMO, the scaling needs to be specifically addressed, and then you can use mythos modifications to make scenarios easier or harder independently of the investigator count.

I'm experimenting with the following houserules:

1.) On spawning, elite monsters automatically take 1 damage for 2-3 players, 2 damage for 4-5 players, or 3 damage for 6 players. This has the effect of significantly nerfing weaker elite monsters (usually spawned from the monster deck) while only slightly nerfing epic monsters (spawned through the codex) with rising investigator counts and helps to make things feel more properly tuned.

2) 1 additional doom is allowed in neighborhoods/locations at 4-5 player, and 2 more is allowed at 6 players. This accounts for so much more happening during the mythos phase and makes it more likely investigators can respond in time.

It's also possible to partially address this through other means, for example, curating the headline deck so that it tends toward more neutral rather than just bad.

Edited by Einlanzer80

Actually, scratch the above. I believe the best fix is to simply add one blank to the cup for 4-5 players or 2 blanks for 6 players.

Here's what I do during the Mythos phase: at the start of the Mythos phase, count how many tokens are left in the bag. If there are less than two per player, shuffle all previously drawn tokens into the bag before each player draws. Remaining tokens therefor have a lesser chance of being drawn, and this also eliminates the chance of the same token being drawn twice per round. I find this technique makes the game a little more manageable for players regardless of how many are playing.