Star Trek Conventions - What do you do there ?

By LostFleet, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

For the first time in my life I will attend a convention in Birmingham in a few weeks, so I just want to get some feed back from you if you ever participated at one.

However I have no clue what will I do there, I bought tickets for some talks, even some photo-op with actors. Apart from those events, I guess there are just countless merchandise stores ( are they cheaper or more expensive than regular stores?) and also I can visit the convention ST museum. Apart from those what can I do? anytips?

Unfortunately I am not into cosplaying, so I will attend there with just my regular clothes, would I stand out too much or is it normal? ( also all my thematic tshirts are Star Wars based, I have none in ST)

Also, I am planning to attend by myself, I will be there for a day, would I be bored if it is just me or is it better attending with a group of friends?

Any insights will be appreciated, thx

( as background info, I am not a true Trekkie yet, although I watched all the seasons of TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and all the movies at least twice, I just couldn't finish TOS, too classic)

On 10/8/2019 at 4:15 PM, LostFleet said:

For the first time in my life I will attend a convention in Birmingham in a few weeks, so I just want to get some feed back from you if you ever participated at one.

However I have no clue what will I do there, I bought tickets for some talks, even some photo-op with actors. Apart from those events, I guess there are just countless merchandise stores ( are they cheaper or more expensive than regular stores?) and also I can visit the convention ST museum. Apart from those what can I do? anytips?

Unfortunately I am not into cosplaying, so I will attend there with just my regular clothes, would I stand out too much or is it normal? ( also all my thematic tshirts are Star Wars based, I have none in ST)

Also, I am planning to attend by myself, I will be there for a day, would I be bored if it is just me or is it better attending with a group of friends?

Any insights will be appreciated, thx

( as background info, I am not a true Trekkie yet, although I watched all the seasons of TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and all the movies at least twice, I just couldn't finish TOS, too classic)

Bit late and it has been quite some time since I've been to a Trek convention so some of this might be out of date.

Basically there was a vendor room and a banquet room where the actors from the show made their appearance. In the time leading up to the guest from the show there were trivia contests or talks about the upcoming season. They'd run a blooper reel. Basically various talks leading up the main actor who was usually one of the main TNG or TOS characters. Some of that sort of thing is obsolete these days since I'm talking nineties here.

Conventions are very different now. There are a lot more speakers and such through the day. And a lot more celebrities who just meet and greet and sell pics and autographs.

Is this the con you're going to? https://www.destinationstartrek.com/

There is all sorts of information there about what is going on and when it is going on.

You do not want to miss your windows for your autographs and photos. Those tend to be pretty rigid especially for the very big stars. Make sure you pay attention for changes to any of that.

9 hours ago, Frimmel said:

You do not want to miss your windows for your autographs and photos.

Thank you for your reply. After I posted, I researched previous years convention as well as this years schedule and you are right, a lot of talks and photoshoots/autographs with actors and a lot of shopping. I thought I would have a lot of free time to roam and thats why I asked what should I do there but I would be running from one event to another with little time to spare.

Currently, I booked most of the talks and some of the photo shoots ( Photoshoots are a bit expensive). Unfortunately you can not book autographs so I have to see how long are the lines ( I thought they would be free but you have to pay for them, so one or two actors at the most).

Couple years back at the Calgary Expo we had the entire Next Gen bridge cast together.

Photo ops with the group STARTED at $450 CAD. Single photo, group shot.

Individuals were 60-180 each depending on member.

Autograph charges were at actors discretion. I never had the money to find out.

10 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

STARTED at $450 CAD

wow that is steep,

I thought UK was expensive, photoshoots are between 20-75 USD much lower compared to Calgary.