Comic story lines

By Tarliyn, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

So I see lots of potentials in this game and am super excited for it.

How do you think they will handle story lines. The hero packs have done a great job capturing power sets and character traits, the villians have done the same but i dont see a lot of story elements.

I am currently reading on marvel unlimited Dan slotts she-hulk run and am really curious how they could introduce some of the story lines. Also reading cables early 2000 run again and wondering the same there.

But it just leads to the more general question, how can they introduce story which is just as important to the comics as the character trait.

For those curious: REALLY recommend that she hulk run. Its fantasic

Y ou can get a bit of a story knowing who your fighting and what their scheme is but most of the story will be in your head. It would be interesting if they manage to insert more story in the game but I'm doubtful it will happen.

The campaign boxes are suppose to more story based I believe

Yes, currently the game is story light - the Core box does have an obvious 'campaign path' (Rhino->Klaw->Ultron) but there's no real mechanical storytelling from what I understand.

I think the the Campaign boxes will just be a pretty simple 'Villain X is doing bad things, stop them! Villain Y was the real villain all along! But now Villain X is back!' kind of storytelling, like 'Here's the most generic X-Men story ever'. The alternative might be setting up specific major storylines, but that seems pretty difficult within the limits of the card pool.

On October 7, 2019 at 8:53 PM, Tarliyn said:

How do you think they will handle story lines. The hero packs have done a great job capturing power sets and character traits, the villians have done the same but i dont see a lot of story elements.

I am currently reading on marvel unlimited Dan slotts she-hulk run and am really curious how they could introduce some of the story lines. Also reading cables early 2000 run again and wondering the same there.

But it just leads to the more general question, how can they introduce story which is just as important to the comics as the character trait.

That's actually next on my reading list. :)

I know the large expansions for this game are supposed to be story/campaign based, but there's not really much information available as to what exactly that will entail. My expectation is that it will be closer to the Lord of the Rings Saga expansions than Arkham Horror in terms of how tightly the narrative and gameplay are entertwined, but I would love to see something Arkhamesque, because the campaign play is one of the best things about that game.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:53 PM, Tarliyn said:

Both the Dan Slott and the Charles Soule runs on She-Hulk were great IMO. I can't wait for her Netflix show.

As others have said we are waiting for the campaign box to see how this game deals with a more long form story. Right now the story is mostly emergent narrative from the cards and a bit of flavor text for the villain deck and it's schemes.

edit--Whoops, somehow replied in the completely wrong thread.

Edited by Vlad3theImpaler
On 10/9/2019 at 12:44 AM, Abyss said:

Yes, currently the game is story light - the Core box does have an obvious 'campaign path' (Rhino->Klaw->Ultron) but there's no real mechanical storytelling from what I understand.

I think the the Campaign boxes will just be a pretty simple 'Villain X is doing bad things, stop them! Villain Y was the real villain all along! But now Villain X is back!' kind of storytelling, like 'Here's the most generic X-Men story ever'. The alternative might be setting up specific major storylines, but that seems pretty difficult within the limits of the card pool.

It doesn't really feel as though the core box really has a "Campaign", the villains seem to be more stand alone scenarios, like the forthcoming Green Goblin Villain Pack. I'm hoping a Campaign Box will be a little more flowing, like letting you run your heroes through the likes of big comic story arcs, such as Inferno or Civil War (the later may need to be split into two boxes considering everything that happened).

This a question very interesting just because ... story is the heart of the change in comics, as the characters don't change too much in many decades. There is two types of strong story ...

The heroes's story. origin or just the important points in their heroic trials, this is something important as people want to see the evolution of the heroes, in competecence, look, and environement use. Out of the origin story hard to put on a card, I think making upgraded specific hero deck can make it fit. Peter Parker is in the core the science-nerd, just studiant probably, with his aunt-may and his money problem, and the vulture as a nemesis as his first enemy in comics. No mention of his use of photography, of his job to the buggle, no mention of gwen stacy or mary jane watson ... so this a way to show some way of story. Venom as nemesis and mary jane as support, for showing the time where he was working for buggle and when venom traumatised mary jane .... or the goblin as a nemesis with gwen support for THE famous death moment.

For the events story as Fear Itself, Civil War, Secret war or Infinity Gauntlet, this is really more hardfull ... At the time, we all think we will have these events adapted in the campaign box. But a lot of people are saying that these box will be team-centred (4-fantastic, X-men, Inhuman ...). The other point, is that we know these box will contain some new heroes, and 3 to 5 new scenario. And the point is ...new heroes is not really a good focus on event adaptation. Because the events are always a time for making everybody on the stand, and not a single team. And because central heroes are always the same ... events are a time for upgrading known heroes more than giving us some new. Civil war is on Iron man and Captain, Siege is for Thor, fear Itself Iron man and thor, Secret war spider man and others avengers . Ok, this is ultra-rude, but the people in cover of the the events, at the heart of them don't change very much. I don't know how they will exploit these.

30 minutes ago, phorcys12 said:

This a question very interesting just because ... story is the heart of the change in comics, as the characters don't change too much in many decades. There is two types of strong story ...

The heroes's story. origin or just the important points in their heroic trials, this is something important as people want to see the evolution of the heroes, in competecence, look, and environement use. Out of the origin story hard to put on a card, I think making upgraded specific hero deck can make it fit. Peter Parker is in the core the science-nerd, just studiant probably, with his aunt-may and his money problem, and the vulture as a nemesis as his first enemy in comics. No mention of his use of photography, of his job to the buggle, no mention of gwen stacy or mary jane watson ... so this a way to show some way of story. Venom as nemesis and mary jane as support, for showing the time where he was working for buggle and when venom traumatised mary jane .... or the goblin as a nemesis with gwen support for THE famous death moment.

For the events story as Fear Itself, Civil War, Secret war or Infinity Gauntlet, this is really more hardfull ... At the time, we all think we will have these events adapted in the campaign box. But a lot of people are saying that these box will be team-centred (4-fantastic, X-men, Inhuman ...). The other point, is that we know these box will contain some new heroes, and 3 to 5 new scenario. And the point is ...new heroes is not really a good focus on event adaptation. Because the events are always a time for making everybody on the stand, and not a single team. And because central heroes are always the same ... events are a time for upgrading known heroes more than giving us some new. Civil war is on Iron man and Captain, Siege is for Thor, fear Itself Iron man and thor, Secret war spider man and others avengers . Ok, this is ultra-rude, but the people in cover of the the events, at the heart of them don't change very much. I don't know how they will exploit these.

I know what you mean Marvel have always had their "Core" heroes at the heart of all their big stories, but what I'd like to see would be a campaign that would provide you with the narrative for a big story that you could insert any hero into, think of Civil War had the X-Men been more involved or had the Young Avengers at the heart of the story instead of the Avengers. Being team centric doesn't have to be a limiting thing, what if they were to release the New Warriors (Night Thrasher and Co.) with a Civil War campaign, since I'm sure we'll be getting all he "Core" heroes as individual packs, it just makes financial sense to do it.

On 10/9/2019 at 2:53 PM, phillos said:

Both the Dan Slott and the Charles Soule runs on She-Hulk were great IMO. I can't wait for her Netflix show.

As others have said we are waiting for the campaign box to see how this game deals with a more long form story. Right now the story is mostly emergent narrative from the cards and a bit of flavor text for the villain deck and it's schemes my ip birthday wishes tneb .

somehow replied in the completely wrong thread.

Edited by yatricerro

Did you have some comment on what I wrote?