Orc-Chieftain / solo game

By caribecards, in Rules questions & answers

Hi guys,

Text:

At the beginning of the encounter phase, Orc-chieftain engages the first player.

If he is in the staging area at the beginning of the encounter phase does he attack from there all the rounds?, or could I get him out during the first step of the encounter phase?, even though we are already engaged.

Regards

2 hours ago, caribecards said:

At the beginning of the encounter phase, Orc-chieftain engages the first player.

If he is in the staging area at the beginning of the encounter phase does he attack from there all the rounds?, or could I get him out during the first step of the encounter phase?, even though we are already engaged.

At the beginning of the encounter phase, before the players can do anything about it, the Orc-chieftain engages the first player, even if the Orc-chieftain in the staging area and you have less threat than its engagement cost (or if it's engaged with another player in multiplayers games). It does not attack from the staging area.

37 minutes ago, Alonewolf87 said:

At the beginning of the encounter phase, before the players can do anything about it, the Orc-chieftain engages the first player, even if the Orc-chieftain in the staging area and you have less threat than its engagement cost (or if it's engaged with another player in multiplayers games). It does not attack from the staging area.

Thank you.

I think I didn't explain myself, I understand that during the encounter phase he does not attack but I would like to know if during the combat phase he will attack from the staging area and if there is a way to get him out from there.

If you play A Light in the Dark or sneak in Mablung in the encounter or combat phase, the orc-chieftain goes back into the staging area where he stays for the rest of the round without attacking.

3 hours ago, caribecards said:

Thank you.

I think I didn't explain myself, I understand that during the encounter phase he does not attack but I would like to know if during the combat phase he will attack from the staging area and if there is a way to get him out from there.

You mean if somehow you got it back in the staging area during the encounter phase or in the combat phase before the enemies attack step?

I think there is some basic incomprehension here, why do you think it would be in the staging area during the combat phase?

6 hours ago, Alonewolf87 said:

You mean if somehow you got it back in the staging area during the encounter phase or in the combat phase before the enemies attack step?

I think there is some basic incomprehension here, why do you think it would be in the staging area during the combat phase?

I think it would be in the staging area during the combat phase because the following points:

1.no engagement checks are made (it is already engaged with the first player)

2.My threath level is lower than 40.

3.it is like the case of The Balrog that is engage with the first player and attacks from the staging area.

Indeed I have the same doubt about the Balrog.

5 minutes ago, caribecards said:

I think it would be in the staging area during the combat phase because the following points:

1.no engagement checks are made (it is already engaged with the first player)

At the start of the encounter phase the Orc-Chieftain engages the first player, whether it's in the staging area or engaged with another player (which was the round before the first player, for example) and no matter which is the threat of the actual first player. It's one of those "automatical engagment" enemies which ignores normal rules and timing of engagement.

Let's say you are playing solo, your threat is 30 and you have the Orc-Chieftain in the staging area after the quest phase. At the start of the encounter phase it engages you (it does make an engagement check, it just automatically engages) since you are by default the first player.

Edited by Alonewolf87

In this game "engaging" an enemy means that it goes from wherever it is (usually the staging area) to the player's area (not sure what the technical term for this is, but you put it near all your cards). This enemy is now "engaged" with that player and is no longer in the staging area. Then, during the combat phase, engaged enemies attack the player. So, the Orc-Chieftain's text causes it, at the beginning of the encounter phase, to immediately move to the first player's area. It is now engaged with that player and is no longer in the staging area. Since it is not in the staging area, you don't make engagement checks against it in the rest of the encounter phase, but since it's already engaged you this is kinda irrelevant. Then, in the combat phase, it's still engaged with the player and so makes an attack. Then the player gets to respond. If the Orc-Chieftain isn't dead, then like any other enemy it stays where it is for the moment and doesn't go back to the staging area unless you do something specific to send it there.

Next round, if you're playing solo, it's already engaged with you, so its effect doesn't do anything in the encounter phase. If you're playing multiplayer, then it will go to the new first player in the next encounter phase and then attack that player in the combat phase.

Thank you guys,

Now I understand how it works, just one more question, in the case of The Balrog is different because the text says " while in the staging area. The Balrog is considered to be engaged with the first player..."

So The Balrog will be in (and attack from) the staging area unless a player chooses to engage him, am I right?

Yes, enemies like the Balrog are special cases because they don't leave the staging area but otherwise act as if they're engaged with one or more players. In most cases, including the Balrog, the enemy has other rules that stop it from ever actually engaging normally (Balrog can't be optionally engaged, is immune to player cards, and also has engagement cost 50, so there is no way for it to leave the staging area and properly engage a player).

14 minutes ago, NathanH said:

Yes, enemies like the Balrog are special cases because they don't leave the staging area but otherwise act as if they're engaged with one or more players. In most cases, including the Balrog, the enemy has other rules that stop it from ever actually engaging normally (Balrog can't be optionally engaged, is immune to player cards, and also has engagement cost 50, so there is no way for it to leave the staging area and properly engage a player).

Ah man, you are right, I think I forgot that the card says "cannot be optionally engaged", my mistake.

Regards