X-Wing/IA Combination?

By ArcticJedi, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

So me and my friends play Imperial Assault and X-wing(1.0, I have a few 2.0 things, but I haven't gotten them to convert) and we were wondering if we could combine them, specifically, one of them suggested an Imperial Stardestroyer map where you have your squadron come out of hyperspace, land a transport and send a strike team to do some objective, and when(if) you attack a spot on the Stardestroyer (e.g a turbo laser, shield generator, sensor array etc.) it creates an explosion on the interior of the Stardestroyer, damaging people around the firing controls, or people on the bridge(please note we only have two copies of the core set for IA.... plus a few ally/villain packs) etc. We'd have one interior map area and one outside of the Stardestroyer for the Starfighters to fly around on. These are the army/squadron building rules I've thought up...along with a bunch of other crap... and I got a little inspiration from my friend group.

Unique figures/pilots

You cannot have a unique figure both flying and on the ground at the same time, however, you can have a pilot land and get out of his/her ship to join the skirmish battle. I will also make a pilot unit so you can land your other ships(no cost but can't be deployed unless you deactivate a ship and link them to it). Any unique pilots that want there own special powers will either have to come up with their own card(I'm the only one in my group that has a custom IA card creator, Thanks Bitterman!) and I would have to type up and print said cards.

Transports

You get your transport free of point cost(It can be small or large but not huge, if you want your transport to be a huge ship you have to spend some of your own points) and are given 20-30 points to upgrade it with. If you want more than one transport, the other transport comes out of your squadron points. if you want to upgrade it more beyond the points given free to it, you must take the points out of your squadron points. whichever team is on the Stardestroyer does not get a transport or transport points. All your IA figures will fit inside of your transport, when deploying troops around the transport, they can be deployed within three spaces

Multiple Players

Every player gets there own deployment zone(One Imp[if there aren't any imperial players, than give it to somebody, it doesn't matter who] player gets the Stardestroyer, everyone else gets a place to bring in their squadrons. The Impstar player's squadron will start in a the hangar's-either that or within range one of the Stardestroyer. if there are enough people, you can make three teams(or if your players want three teams say if you have 5 players, make the Impstar player be by him/herself and give them a double the normal points... I will not allow one of our players who is obsessed with Tie defenders to be this player... He also has Thrawn.... anyway... than just team up the others in teams of two, they each have their own squadron and stuff.)

Squadron/Army Points

I'm thinking 150 points for The squadron, and 60 points for the skirmish army, since it'll be a large map(It's a freaking stardestroyer!) and 20 command cards/command card points. You'll get a free transport and 40 points to upgrade with.

Damaging Imperial assault units when in a hangar and vice versa

You roll however man red dice you have normally and get +5 accuracy to the attack(can't apply bonuses or modifiers of any sort to this attack besides the +5 accuracy), and when infantry attack, the ships get three blacks of defense dice.

Impstar Hardpoints

There will be three types of hardpoints, there will be Turbolasers, Shield generators, and Sensor arrays(Just using the Heroes of the Atari Cluster Pieces and Rules. In order to fire Turbolaser, you need someone at a turbolaser control. if the reactor(inside the ship, can be destroyed only by IA units) all hardpoints shut down and are no longer usable, I'll make some health rules and such.

Objectives

Objectives will be taking the destroying the stardestroyer(Haven't designed the map yet just posting this to 1. Get your guy's help to smooth it out, and 2. To right down my thoughts to get them straightened out, so these are subject to change) and capturing the stardestroyer.

Maps

There will be two maps, their will be the interior of the stardestroyer and the outside of the stardestroyers, The outside for the starfighters and the inside for the boarding parties. I will make an elevator rule for getting to the bridge area. Does anyone know of a IA map creator, or a way to print off map tiles?

Armies restrictions

In my group we have a few house rules, One of those being that there cannot be more than one of a unique figure in a single skirmish game(Besides IG-88, there can be four of him as long as they are not in the same army). I am also going to ask them if we can nerf the deployment card cost of super weak units to make them viable to play. eStormtroopers Are NOT worth 9 points my dude, and Stormtroopers aren't worth 6. You can't have vehicles in this map(it's a STARDESTROYER PEOPLE).

I don't know if I got everything but I think I did. Thank you for listening to my ramblings fellow Ffg goers, your possibly insane friend,

-Arctic

For a long time, I've been wanting to do an IA/X-Wing team event. Here's some rough draft notes I have for the format.

• 2 persons to a team, one player plays IA & the other X-Wing vs. another team.
  • Teams must be of the same general faction
    • IA Rebels: X-Wing Rebels, Grand Republic, Resistance
    • IA Imperials: X-Wing Imperials, CIS, First Order
    • IA Mercs: X-Wing Mercs
  • Standard tournament setup for both game
    • X-Wing: 200 points, Hyperspace or Extended format (probably Extended)
    • IA: 40 Deployment points, 15 CCs of 15 points
  • The X-Wing & IA games play concurrently and end roughly at the same time
    • IA ends at 65 minutes (with time to finish the current round)
    • X-Wing at 75 minutes.
  • The winner of each game (X-Wing and IA) is determined through the usual FFG tournament methods.
  • Each team gets 1 team point for winning one of the games, and 3 team points if they win both games.
  • [Optional] Maps for both games are custom designed by the Event Organizer to allow theming
    • Hoth: Use IA Hoth map; X-Wing map has no obstacles but does have a Rebel Transport(s) that moves across the board at the end of each round and re-enters the board once it leaves
    • Tantive IV: Create custom Tantive IV IA Map; X-Wing map has a CR90 Corvette at center, which "drifts" in a random direction each round, and 4 gas clouds
    • Endor: Use IA Endor map; X-Wing map has 10 pieces of small debris to place at start of game
    • Team pairings: Team with better Team score or MOV chooses which "world" they want to play, with the caveat they can't pick the same "world" twice in a row (if possible).
  • [Optional] Mid-Game Advantage
    • Before tournament, each team selects Reinforcements for each squad
      • IA: One Deployment card, non-Unique with up to one Skirmish Attachment, with the combined deployment cost being 9 points or less
      • X-Wing: One ship, unique with no upgrades OR non-unique with upgrades OR two non-unique ships with no upgrades, with the combined squad points being 50 points or less
    • During each game, the player who reaches a point threshold first gains Tactical Advantage
      • IA: First player to gain at least 25 Victory Points. If both players gain over 25 VPs in the same timing window, Tactical Advantage will be rewarded to the player who has more VPs than the other; if it is a tie, Tactical Advantage is not gained by either player
      • X-Wing: First player to gain 125 or more Victory Points; if the opposing player is 10 or less points behind the player who is first to 125 points, Tactical Advantage is not gained by either player
    • When Tactical Advantage is gained in one game, Reinforcements are deployed in the other game
      • IA: The team with Tactical Advantage waits until the moment they can activate a group. Before activating a group, the player chooses a friendly figure that is at least 4 spaces away from hostile figures. That player places figures from the Reinforcement Deployment on the board adjacent to a chosen friendly figure, and then adds that Deployment card to his army. If there are no friendly figures at least 4 spaces away from hostile figures, the player waits until his/her next activation window to check for a friendly figure who meets that condition.
      • X-Wing: The team with Tactical Advantage waits until the start of a round. Then that player deploys the Reinforcement ship(s) within range 1 of any board edge and at least range 3 away from any of the opponent's ships. If those conditions cannot be met, the player must wait until the start of the next round to deploy Reinforcement ships, then check if the condition can be met.

for the final mission of Return to Hoth where you chase down Sorins star destroyer, i played an Xwing Mission in between. As it was a test, i did very simple game. each hero piloted red squadron xwing. and the imperial player piloted similar points in TIES. i used the Senator shuttle token (Hwk) as the heroes transport shuttle, and the rebels goal was to get to the edge of the play area, without being destroyed.

if the rebels won, in the next mission they would get a rebel soldier for each xwing that survived, elite rebel soldiers if all 4 survived.

if the rebels lost, they enter the next mission fully strained.

it was a test, and it worked pretty well, my group had not played xwing, and enjoyed the X'perience. photos below

@cnemmick I got similar results from the guys over on the X-wing version of this topic, but yours definitely far more expanded upon. The problem that I am facing is that my players want to play both IA and X-wing at the same time, and we have five people. It is also in a casual setting, so some of that won't help.

Since I have five people and we want to be on a star destroyer, this is what I was thinking

One player on the stardestroyer, with double the points in both x-wing and imperial assault.

the other four players would be on teams of two, paired wit someone. Each player will have a Skirmish Squad and a Star fighter squadron. They will also get a transport. You can land your ships, and have their pilots come out(I've made custom cards).

If you want to see what the X-wing players had to say, check out my Topic(it's the same name) in the X-wing forums.
-Arctic

Also Spidey, that's cool, I was thinking it would be cool to have an X-wing interlude for when you are landing on a stardestroyer or trying to do other stuff like that.

the only other idea i have that is a simultaneous game. is that you have special imperial/rebel objectives in the IA skirmish game, and you have some imperial/rebel Objectives in the Xwing Game. those objectives can effect the other game being played.

eg. in a skirmish game, turn on the ion cannon, if successful, the enemy ships in the Xwing game get ionized .

eg. in the Xwing game if a enemy TIE escapes the board, perhaps it becomes a strafing run in the skirmish game and damages the rebel units at the start of each round, choose a space and roll 1 green die, causing damage to the space and every adjacent space based on the Die result. unless the rebels in the Xwing game sacrifice one of their ships to deal with it.

Edited by Spidey NZ