Uthuk starting force; cheap & effective (possible?)

By Elkerlyc, in Runewars List Building

Hey everyone,

Given the 50% or even more discount I can buy Runewars I am considering a 3rd army. (I obviously have humans and undead)
Uthuk has some appealing models and if I can build an army at the cheap (not going to dump a massive load of money in a dead game) I will.

At a guess:

1. Starter set
  2. Berserker command group (for options)
  3. Box of Obscenes (must have for the models)
  4. ThuUk Tar and Gorgemaw (must have for the models)

Can you make a playable (fun to play with) army with this? For more than a one-off?
Or does it need more? If so; what?

I have from the first wave; 2x cores, plus every box 1x from wave 1.
(as opposing armies)

For what you have and seen to be trying to do, yes, you can. In the long run, maybe try to pick up a big Black Friday sale and add some other expansions to fill out the army a bit further.

2 cores and 1 of every expansion will also give you a highly functional army.

I would at least recommend 2 or 3 boxes of vipers. Everything else is good enough with just the cores for uthuk.

Bare minimum?

2 Cores

1 Infantry command

1 box obscenes

Gorgemaw

1 Box viper legion

If that isn’t wallet busting, I’d then grab Kethra and a second box of viper legion. If you still have some room left, grab a ripper box. If that still isn’t over the limit, then grab a box of threshers.

That bare minimum gives:

-Ravi’s is a 43-50 point wrecking ball.

-You have 8 trays of berserkers and can add a heavy to get the 9-tray. You can also run the 6 tray or some odd 2-4 trays. You can get a good 40-70 points from these trays.

-Vipers can be run with just 2 trays and they deliver. You can guarantee 20-25 points in any list with this.

-Obscenes are good blockers and the 2 tray is a viable dispatch runner option. So 17-34 points from these models.

-Gorgemaw is a fun points sink to use. Hard to learn but fun.

-4 trays of rippers makes a viable flanker. You reliably get 37-44 points from those trays in a build.

You can run an okay variety with that and have good lists.

If obscenes weren’t a must have for you because of models, they could be left out. They absolutely add to the army and aren’t as bad as you might see people say, but they are less adaptable than most Uthuk units. Personally, I would get 3 boxes of viper legion. Having that option to bring a ranged hammer or to bring ranged chip damage frees up how you build the melee parts of your army.