Confusion about Heirs of Blood Campaign Book...

By GoblynByte, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I just picked up Descent: Journeys Into Darkness 2e box today. We finished the introductory adventure and loved it (much better than the first edition of Descent), so I began digging online for potential expansions. I see they have an Heirs of Blood Campaign book. Um... Isn't that the campaign included with the core box set? Why would anyone buy it a second time? Is there something different about it?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on getting into a great game!

Up until 2014, the core campaign was a different one called “The Shadow Rune”. It has a laundry list of weaknesses and poor design, and I think most posters here would say it is Descent’s worst campaign.

In 2014, FFG released the hardback Heirs Of Blood. At the same time, they replaced The Shadow Rune with the soft cover Hairs Of Blood in the core box.

Brilliant move if you ask me. The original campaign exacerbates every weakness Descent has.

Heirs came in my core set, but I eventually picked up the hardcover as well. It’s much nicer to hold the hardcover, the travel map is twice the size, and it includes some rule clarifications on plot decks and rumor cards that are not in the original rulebook or expansion rules.

Ah. Okay. That makes perfect sense. I appreciate the clarification!