Nantex and debris

By Lunar Sovereign, in X-Wing Rules Questions

4 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Here we are.

Key take away : Note that it does not resolve the game effect of becoming tractored (which triggers after the first time a ship becomes tractored each round) until after it fully resolves the ability by completing the rotate action.

FFG has spoken! pack it up guys.

3 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Here we are.

Key take away : Note that it does not resolve the game effect of becoming tractored (which triggers after the first time a ship becomes tractored each round) until after it fully resolves the ability by completing the rotate action.

Yup. Pretty straight forward. The order is always gain tractor, perform the rotate, perform the tractor. Basically pin point tractor has to finish resolving before moving on to the tractor, then everything triggered by the tractor is after the tractor. Then you go back to the ability queue.

Also makes it a little more difficult to judge the rotate, since you have to do it before you move yourself. Can easily tractor yourself out of an arc if you can't judge distances right.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, feltipern1 said:

Here's the way I see it; it probably echoes the majority opinion here:

1) Nantex executes a maneuver and chooses to use the Pinpoint ability (which enters the queue). The ability reads "you cannot rotate your 206074375_turretarcsymbol.jpg.a15b00fbc4c3ccf5813648e3c7be62c8.jpg to your 1583421805_reararcsymbol.jpg.5ca024f29cf9a3a85c700479b866f07c.jpg . After you execute a maneuver, you may gain 1 tractor token to perform a [Rotate] action." You gain a tractor token (player ability) to perform a [Rotate] action (player ability). When you gain the tractor token, you have to perform a [Rotate] action. This must fully resolve , because it's a single clause. @SirToastsalot mentions this in asserting that all Nantex players should be performing the rotate before they move.

2) After you gain a tractor token, the tractor effect enters the queue, as the next in line to resolve. The ship ability fully resolves, and the tractor effect of boosting or barrel-rolling occurs, as chosen by the player of the Nantex (whose action caused the tractor effect to apply). Tractor effects mean that you can overlap objects as a result of the reposition, which would then trigger the debris field effect.

3) The boost or barrel roll occurs. Since it's not a typical boost or barrel roll (neither of which allows you to overlap an object - the effect fails if this would be the case, as per game rules), you can overlap an object.

4) You overlap a debris field. Debris fields trigger when a ship overlaps or moves through them, so the effect then resolves as normal. You receive a stress and roll to determine if you suffer one [Crit] damage or not. If you have any actions that you can perform "while stressed", these can resolve, but otherwise, you get no action (since you cannot perform actions while stressed).

End result - the Nantex is in the debris field, with a turret arc indicator rotation performed and a stress token assigned, meaning that it can attack as normal during engagement phase. If it suffered a damage, it should have been dealt a [Crit] damage card. It remains tractored, so the token is still on the ship, and cannot be transferred except if the conditions for Ensnare are met (i.e. a ship at range 0-1 in the turret arc).

Q: After a Nantex- class starfighter executes its maneuver, if it uses its Pinpoint Tractor Array ship ability to assign a tractor token to itself so that it can rotate its turret arc, and then it barrel rolls itself over a debris field as a result of becoming tractored, giving it a stress token, how does this resolve?

A: After a Nantex -class starfighter executes its maneuver, it has the option to add an ability in the queue with the effect of "gain 1 tractor token to perform a <rotate> action."

When this ability resolves, the Nantex -class starfighter pays the cost ("gain 1 tractor token") to resolve this effect. The Nantex -class starfighter gains 1 tractor token, then performs the rotate action. Note that it does not resolve the game effect of becoming tractored (which triggers after the first time a ship becomes tractored each round) until after it fully resolves the ability by completing the rotate action.

Once the ability is fully resolved, the game effect that triggers after a ship becomes tractored is applied to the Nantex -class starfighter (before any other abilities on the queue are resolved), prompting the Nantex -class starfighter's player to move it, if they desire. If they do and this movement takes the Nantex -class starfighter onto a debris cloud, it resolves the effects of moving through or overlapping the debris cloud, including gaining 1 stress token.

Finally, any other abilities on the queue are then resolved in order.

^

From the updated FAQs.

1 hour ago, Lyianx said:

Here we are.

1 hour ago, pyoinator said:

FFG has spoken! pack it up guys.

Called it! :D . I know it's a bit cocky, so feel free to get after me for it ;)

Edited by feltipern1
1 hour ago, feltipern1 said:

Called it! :D . I know it's a bit cocky, so feel free to get after me for it ;)

I mean sure heh. More often than not, whatever is the easiest interpretation of a dispute, is *usually* how FFG officially rules it, because it takes away as much confusion about how something works as possible.

They don't *always* do this mind you, so they could have just as easily ruled the opposite :)

On 9/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, JJTeamRocket said:

To Mace's point:

Game effects such as receiving a stress from a debris cloud always resolve before player effect. this is part of the ability queue description on page 3 of the RR. So you would never be able to rotate after you rolled onto a debris cloud.

As for whether you could do the rotate action before or after the roll that is still up in the air. if gaining the tractor token and performing the rotate occupy the same timing window then you can chose to do one before the other, if the tractor token comes first then i would lean towards not being able to rotate before performing the boost/roll as i believe these would be considered game effects as well and would then automatically happen before the player effect of the rotate. But who knows, if the tractor roll/boost counts as a player effect then its fair game to do whatever you want.

as Mace put it:

No 90 rotations its ONLY if an Opponent Moved you

6 hours ago, topacesteve said:

No 90 rotations its ONLY if an Opponent Moved you

this thread is about pinpoint tractor array, which includes the rotate action, as in rotating your turret arc indicator. it has nothing to do with rotating your ship.