Pokemon Adventure

By ZPhoenixfeather, in Your Settings

Hey there, I'm brand new but thought I would add this. I put together a Pokemon set using Genesys rules for a group of mine. We didn't play it for very long so I can't say for sure how well it does or doesn't work, but I wanted to share it with the community and maybe get some feedback. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-jC3mQbsN5IITx--uOKxercyErUezAQQ

Some notes as to how the rules work:

Trainer Creation - All trainers take human stats which are affected by which city they were born in. This also allows them to choose an alternate starter besides the original three. They can then pick a class from the ones provided and pick career skills per usual Genesys rules.

Wild Encounters - Roll percentile dice depending on the area the PCs are in to select which strength group to use then use a random number generator to select which Pokemon from that group appears. (Optional: if the percentile dice roll doubles, it's a horde encounter.)

Battle System - Both trainers and Pokemon roll initiative. The Pokemon's initiative is based off its speed stat. The Pokemon CANNOT use maneuvers on their turns. They can only use actions (usually to make an attack). On the trainer's turn, you use your maneuvers to give your Pokemon maneuvers. You can have as many Pokemon out as you want, but each additional Pokemon after the first adds an additional setback die to ALL of the trainer's active Pokemon's attacks.

Attacks - Each move is designated as physical, special, or neither. A physical attack is rolled using the Pokemon's physical attack stat and the damage is reduced by the opponent's physical soak. The same applies to special attacks. The difficulty indicates how many times you must upgrade the difficulty of the attack roll for that attack (used in place of accuracy in the games). If an attack is neither physical or special, roll the force die from the Star Wars RPG (called the luck die in this version). If you get good luck (any white result), the attack succeeds. AQ stands for Attack Quality and can be triggered with 2 advantage. If a move is super effective, the base damage is doubled (which might be broken as the game progresses); the base damage is halved if the attack is not very effective.

Badges - Gym badges are used to upgrade your Pokemon's attack rolls and give extra stat bonuses.

Catch Rate - Roll percentile die. If the result is LESS THAN the Pokemon's catch rate, you succeed. Getting the Pokemon below half health is +10 to the Pokemon's catch rate and an additional +10 when the Pokemon is at 1/4 health or lower. Great Balls and Ultra Balls add an additional +10 and +20 respectively.

Level - Any Pokemon involved in a battle earns 1 level at the end of the battle. Level does not affect the Pokemon's stats, but is used to learn new moves and evolve.

Move Sets - Any move a Pokemon has learned, it knows forever unless it is forgotten through some other means. There is no 4 move limit.

Pokemon Skills - If the game calls for a Pokemon to make a skill check (such as using Athletics to swim), use the trainer's skill (tied to the trainer's characteristic) instead. This signifies the bond between trainer and Pokemon and how Pokemon take after their trainer's personality.

I'm sure there are some things I missed and there are probably a few flaws and loopholes with the system. I also haven't gotten to make an equipment sheet yet. Hopefully this is useful to some of you. Let me know what you think.

My wife is also working on one for Genesys system, if it goes anywhere I will post what we have too. Right now its still in planning stages to see how we can handle some of the more complicated parts of Pokemon, or at least address them in system.

Someone on the Genesys server linked me this because I'm jonesing for a system and my other half is looking at making one as well - I have so many questions about this.

You list Pokemon up to Gen3(?), but you have only Kanto stats/starters. What about other cities in other regions? Or what would be the comparable ones? Like would Mahogany Town also be something like Cerulean for stats but different starters? (I'm thinking something like Mareep/Stantler/Magikarp or something, definitely Mareep because of all the Flaafy out there.) Or are you still looking at filling in those particular areas? I'm looking at running an adventure in possibly a custom region so this at least gives me ideas on how to get started.

What do the notes at the bottom of Abilities mean? 1-25 = 1, 26-50 = 2. There's no additional notes about this at all.

With the limited number of talents, I assume it's best to dual class? Or will you be adding additional general talents? Or is it styled just more like in the way of Edge that "This is your class and this is your talent tree."?

How do Pokemon level? What about evolution? Stat increases, is this a thing/possible? Are Pokemon their own character sheets that need to have things bumped as they level? Scratch that, I need to learn to read. I would definitely suggest including this in the Drive folder so that when things are shared, people know this off the bat.

What's the note of "Check for shiny!! 100" mean? Roll a d100? What's the target number then? What if you have "shiny" Pokemon in the way that PTU does it, that it's not necessarily a differentiation with melanin, but that it's different - smaller than normal, bigger than normal, stuff like that.

@Mathadar

PLEASE let me know when/if your wife finishes hers! I would love to see how someone else makes theirs!

On 10/25/2019 at 5:30 PM, Chevko said:

You list Pokemon up to Gen3(?), but you have only Kanto stats/starters. What about other cities in other regions? Or what would be the comparable ones? Like would Mahogany Town also be something like Cerulean for stats but different starters? (I'm thinking something like Mareep/Stantler/Magikarp or something, definitely Mareep because of all the Flaafy out there.) Or are you still looking at filling in those particular areas? I'm looking at running an adventure in possibly a custom region so this at least gives me ideas on how to get started.

The adventure I started to run took place in Kanto. I only had Gen1 Pokémon made at the time, so I only made alternate starters for the Kanto cities. It might be fun to add different stats & starters for Johto and Hoenn regions as well. I'll probably add them soon so keep a look out for that!

What do the notes at the bottom of Abilities mean? 1-25 = 1, 26-50 = 2. There's no additional notes about this at all.

That was just something I put there to help me out when I was putting things together, and I forgot to remove it. It's gone now. Sorry about the confusion.

With the limited number of talents, I assume it's best to dual class? Or will you be adding additional general talents? Or is it styled just more like in the way of Edge that "This is your class and this is your talent tree."?

I didn't have the Genesys Core Rulebook yet when I was putting this together, so I did style it after Edge. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from dual-classing or adding additional talents to be purchased. I like how the trees turned out though, so I probably won't be adding any general talents of my own anytime soon.

How do Pokemon level? What about evolution? Stat increases, is this a thing/possible? Are Pokemon their own character sheets that need to have things bumped as they level? Scratch that, I need to learn to read. I would definitely suggest including this in the Drive folder so that when things are shared, people know this off the bat.

For some reason, I didn't consider that people might send the drive link to other people. I've added the instructions from the original post into the drive folder now. Thanks for the feedback!

What's the note of "Check for shiny!! 100" mean? Roll a d100? What's the target number then? What if you have "shiny" Pokemon in the way that PTU does it, that it's not necessarily a differentiation with melanin, but that it's different - smaller than normal, bigger than normal, stuff like that.

Yes, you roll a d100 and a result of 100 makes it shiny. I hadn't looked at any of the PTU stuff before. If I wanted to add the other varieties they mentioned, I would probably just put my specific ideas into specific places of my adventure (such as having a giant Venusaur be the guardian of a forest area or a talking Geodude scaring and bad-mouthing adventurers traveling through a cave).

If you have any more questions, let me know! I'm happy to hear that people are looking into this and finding it useful. If you ever get a group of people to try it out, I'd appreciate any feedback you could offer from the experience.