Star Wars fighters are slow.

By JohnPJones, in X-Wing Off-Topic

1 minute ago, Captain Lackwit said:

>:/

I never can decide if I like you.

Well, to quote Luke to Dr Evazan in the Mos Eisely cantina...

"....uh.... I'm sorry.....?"

I always head-cannoned the relatively slow speeds in atmosphere to the fact the Repulsor lifts take up most of the available power/fuel the fighter or craft has available. SW ships are actually manipulating gravity when they are subjected to it, they are not generating lift from any air source. That's the reason they can just escape a planets pull without gaining tons and tons of speed. The escape velocity of the Space Shuttle is 25,000mph. SW craft can simply ignore the gravity of a planet or at the very least mitigate it greatly.

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Well, to quote Luke to Dr Evazan in the Mos Eisely cantina...

"....uh.... I'm sorry.....?"

I was really tempted to say ‘I don’t like you either,’ but I like my arms where they are.

I know the speed of every starwars ship... it's a ratio of ATSOP

Which means "at the speed of plot".

If we need to see the x-wings aproaching the Deathstar, ATSOP gives us the speed. If we need the Falcon unable to shake some ISD's, ATSOP gives us the speed. The rest is as accurate as the various methods on how to craft a lightsaber in real life.

That does not mean that some internal consistency is unwelcomed. I like that 1982 chart showing various speeds, and I have fond memories of WEG source materials. Just remember this is space opera and it doesn't play well with gritty realism.

Edited by LUZ_TAK
On 9/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, LUZ_TAK said:

If we need to see the x-wings aproaching the Deathstar, ATSOP gives us the speed. If we need the Falcon unable to shake some ISD's, ATSOP gives us the speed. The rest is as accurate as the various methods on how to craft a lightsaber in real life.

That does not mean that some internal consistency is unwelcomed. I like that 1982 chart showing various speeds, and I have fond memories of WEG source materials. Just remember this is space opera and it doesn't play well with gritty realism.

1000% 😊

Also worth remembering @JohnPJones that if you believe Rebel propaganda at least, Wedge’s X - Wing and the Falcon flew fast enough, and were maneuverable enough, to fly out of half the Death Star II (which is 200 Miles across) before it atomized. And that was not in a straight line.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:24 PM, LUZ_TAK said:

This.

Remember the TIE Fighters in the OT running circles around the Millennium Falcon.