Is it just me or is this one bleak?

By CECtheRonin, in Revolt of the Machines

Admittedly, I've never played these games as much as I've devoured the books. These books and scenarios are all fascinating and I love imagining different ways to play through them all. As for the ones in Revolt of the Machines ... is it just me or do these scenarios all end in a really depressing way? Granted, none of the scenarios in any of the books have happy endings, but these ones seem really bleak. Like they all seem to end with humanity getting stripped of all its rights at best. And wow... the nanomachine post-apocalypse actually puts me in a depressive spell. So what do you think: too bleak or is it just my imagination?

I really wish this game-line got more attention and had more "legs". They did a great job of a. making a gorgeous product, but also b. as you say, creating a lot of compelling scenarios.

I don't have the "Revolt" book, but I have always found these sorts of stories in pop culture particularly devastating. In part, because they're among the most plausible of the genre, and yea, it's usually "humanity is supplanted/enslaved/worse than the machines".

Of the four, yeah, this one is bleak. As well it should be. If we get to the point technologically that it can happen, we'd be lucky if we were kept as pets...