Fantastic Four NOT confirmed

By jonboyjon1990, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Hadn’t seen this discussed anywhere. In the recent AMA with head of the FFG studio, the Fantastic Four were not confirmed.

https://youtu.be/6VseOrN5B58t=44m20s

He also didn't deny that Fantastic Four will appear in the game at some point in the future. All that means is he's not going to confirm something that hasn't been announced yet. So it was a bit of a wasted question unfortunately. A better question probably would have been what Marvel properties are off the table for the Champions LCG. Andrew unfortunately didn't elaborate in his answer during the AMA. They have answered questions like that in the past. Specifically they confirmed materials from the Simallarion was off the table for LOTR. They didn't have permission for any AGOT stuff specific to the HBO show, etc..

Edited by phillos
14 minutes ago, phillos said:

He also didn't deny that Fantastic Four will appear in the game at some point in the future. All that means is he's not going to confirm something that hasn't been announced yet. So it was a bit of a wasted question unfortunately. A better question probably would have been what Marvel properties are off the table for the Champions LCG. Andrew unfortunately didn't elaborate in his answer during the AMA. They have answered questions like that in the past. Specifically they confirmed materials from the Simallarion was off the table for LOTR. They didn't have permission for any AGOT stuff specific to the HBO show, etc..

Kind of feel like this was the same kind of question and answer.

My presumption is that FFG have a deal with Marvel that operates on a sliding scale - if the sales figures justify it, they can pay a bit more in licensing fees and bring in more characters.

Well one is more specific and one is more generic. The FF question in the AMA left ambiguity in it for Andrew to answer vaguely. It's like when you ask someone if they CAN do something for you rather than if they WILL do something for you. He can't CONFIRM that FF will appear or not appear in the game. Though that answer doesn't really confirm or deny the possibility.

If the question was instead phrased, "does FFG have the rights to potentially released an FF themed expansion in Marvel Champions?" that's way more specific. That removes the vagary of he can't confirm it because they want to wait for a proper marketing statement in one of their articles or he can't confirm it because they just haven't begun production an any FF related products.

My guess would be if FF is going to get a movie in the next 5 years (or a TV show) then they will time the release of FF themed products for this game to coincide with that marketing push most likely. That makes the most sense for Marvel and FFG since Marvel wants the marketing push and FFG wants to boost in sales that a buzz around a property like FF would generate. Rumor is the Russo's would come back to Marvel if they could get the FF so that's pretty big. Though I wonder how far out that sort of project would be considering Marvel already has a full plate of future projects already announced.

Edited by phillos
1 hour ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Kind of feel like this was the same kind of question and answer.

My presumption is that FFG have a deal with Marvel that operates on a sliding scale - if the sales figures justify it, they can pay a bit more in licensing fees and bring in more characters.

Licensing doesnt work that way.

18 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

Licensing doesnt work that way.

Do we know that? Didn't Upper Deck have a similar 'sliding scale' licence with Marvel Legendary?

Didn't Sony buy the rights to *only* Spiderman and not all of Marvel? Didn't Universal buy *only* X-Men? Didn't Fox buy *only* Fantastic Four?

Edited by jonboyjon1990

Essentially nothing is confirmed for the game beyond the characters they’ve actually announced. Speculation is pretty high that the next couple of heroes will be Thor and Ghost Rider, but that isn’t confirmed either. If the game continues, I’d expect them to step away from Avengers characters into other Marvel franchises, but I’d expect that to be further down the line, and ‘together’ rather than as sporadic releases.

3 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Do we know that? Didn't Upper Deck have a similar 'sliding scale' licence with Marvel Legendary?

Didn't Sony buy the rights to *only* Spiderman and not all of Marvel? Didn't Universal buy *only* X-Men? Didn't Fox buy *only* Fantastic Four?

They bought only the rights, but Sony didnt have the option to pay more money and get other rights. They would have to full negotiate all over.

And Marvel isnt close to bankruptcy, and has no need to split up their characters.

@FearLord
"Speculation is pretty high that the next couple of heroes will be Thor and Ghost Rider, but that isn’t confirmed either."

I mean, it's just on the basis of card art, like how Ms. Marvel is prominently on the Honorary Avenger card, along with Nova (and since Ms. Marvel is a known pack, I'd also expect Nova at some point).

Thor just seems like such a no brainer, being on the box art of the core set, some cards, and being, probably one of the most well known avengers and all. (And, unlike Hawkeye, Hulk, and some others, he's conspicuously NOT an ally card.

That might actually be the most obvious way to suss out what's in production, just do a venn diagram of the team members who aren't represented as yet (Ant Man, Wasp, Thor, Dr. Strange, etc.)

3 hours ago, Derrault said:

@FearLord
"Speculation is pretty high that the next couple of heroes will be Thor and Ghost Rider, but that isn’t confirmed either."

I mean, it's just on the basis of card art, like how Ms. Marvel is prominently on the Honorary Avenger card, along with Nova (and since Ms. Marvel is a known pack, I'd also expect Nova at some point).

Thor just seems like such a no brainer, being on the box art of the core set, some cards, and being, probably one of the most well known avengers and all. (And, unlike Hawkeye, Hulk, and some others, he's conspicuously NOT an ally card.

That might actually be the most obvious way to suss out what's in production, just do a venn diagram of the team members who aren't represented as yet (Ant Man, Wasp, Thor, Dr. Strange, etc.)

Thor is also mentioned in the learn to play in the section about new hero packs after Captain America and Ms Marvel, so he’s almost certainly next. But he’s not confirmed until they actually confirm he’s coming out.

49 minutes ago, FearLord said:

Thor is also mentioned in the learn to play in the section about new hero packs after Captain America and Ms Marvel, so he’s almost certainly next. But he’s not confirmed until they actually confirm he’s coming out.

Learn to play section... Did you see an advance copy?

6 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Learn to play section... Did you see an advance copy?

Photos from Gen Con have been on Facebook and other places for weeks. You can read the entire learn to play booklet.

This is the part I was referencing:

1E4FB9D7-C78A-401D-9467-DB52806590C3.jpeg

Edited by FearLord

I think it is only a matter of time before we get the Fantastic Four and X-Men. These characters are far too popular to leave out.

Looks like Thor will be the next to be announced. I still think they will stick to characters linked with the MCU. Scarlet Witch or Black Widow would probably follow Thor.

Guardians of the Galaxy have a good chance of being the first group pack.

If we're doing a pool, my money's on Moon Knight as the 4th hero. Strong Justice association, newly announced for the MCU. He's a white dude, though, which lowers the odds a fair bit.

The Fantastic Four have always been my favorite. Wake me up when they're included :)

9 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

If we're doing a pool, my money's on Moon Knight as the 4th hero. Strong Justice association, newly announced for the MCU. He's a white dude, though, which lowers the odds a fair bit.

Yeah he's a white dude but sometimes he thinks he's a little girl. That's inclusive right?

On 9/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, CitizenKeen said:

I'm curious how they would handle all of his personalities. Think we will see him fairly early on due to him getting a show.

Would be cool if he had several alter egos. You'd have alot to choose from between Moon Knight "The Fist Of Khonshu", Mr. Knight, Marc Spector, Jack Lockley, Steven Grant... maybe when you flip between hero and alter ego you shuffle to see which one you land on. That would be interesting.