A weapon mechanic idea I have been considering

By Spartancfos, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

33 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

I am not seeing the problem you are trying to fix. So i dont see the need.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

17 hours ago, Daeglan said:

I am not seeing the problem you are trying to fix. So i dont see the need.

Was the discussion, or even the wider world helped by your comment though?

It seems like you came in to complain, without any sort of validity or feedback to provide.

It's like if you stepped into the Shadowrun Gensys conversion thread and loudly announced "Shadowrun isn't something I want to run"

6 hours ago, Spartancfos said:

Was the discussion, or even the wider world helped by your comment though?

It seems like you came in to complain, without any sort of validity or feedback to provide.

It's like if you stepped into the Shadowrun Gensys conversion thread and loudly announced "Shadowrun isn't something I want to run"

More like what are you trying to accomplish that the current rules dont cover because so far you explanation comes across as why would i even want to do this as the rules handle this just fine as is.

18 hours ago, Daeglan said:

More like what are you trying to accomplish that the current rules dont cover because so far you explanation comes across as why would i even want to do this as the rules handle this just fine as is.

That's a really interesting opinion.

When new material comes out for the game do you immediately dismiss it too?

I say this because before Force and Destiny there wasn't specific crafting rules for lightsabers, but there were crafting rules - so therefore we can assume that chapter of F&D was a waste for time.

By extension we can assume because the base rules provide a general way to handle most things all of the career book additions are pointless, as are the Gensys supplementary rules which provide extra detail on other topics.

Your stance is ludicrous.

I, like many others in this forum, like to develop and tweak ideas to make them work. Personally my goal with this weapon was something like the Heavy from Team Fortress, someone who carried a ludicrously big gun which unleashes a hail of small calibre rounds, too many to be avoided. I balanced this vision with lower damage overall - as I didn't want to make other weapons/mods superfluous.

My suggestion meets my goals and accomplishes something not currently in the system. I put it on here for feedback in case there was concerns I had missed. I got some great feedback, and even better suggestions.

When you look at Clanker Killer you can in fact see my idea is fairly inline with the Design Philosophy of the game.

3 hours ago, Spartancfos said:

That's a really interesting opinion.

When new material comes out for the game do you immediately dismiss it too?

I say this because before Force and Destiny there wasn't specific crafting rules for lightsabers, but there were crafting rules - so therefore we can assume that chapter of F&D was a waste for time.

By extension we can assume because the base rules provide a general way to handle most things all of the career book additions are pointless, as are the Gensys supplementary rules which provide extra detail on other topics.

Your stance is ludicrous.

I, like many others in this forum, like to develop and tweak ideas to make them work. Personally my goal with this weapon was something like the Heavy from Team Fortress, someone who carried a ludicrously big gun which unleashes a hail of small calibre rounds, too many to be avoided. I balanced this vision with lower damage overall - as I didn't want to make other weapons/mods superfluous.

My suggestion meets my goals and accomplishes something not currently in the system. I put it on here for feedback in case there was concerns I had missed. I got some great feedback, and even better suggestions.

When you look at Clanker Killer you can in fact see my idea is fairly inline with the Design Philosophy of the game.

That is not how your first post came across at all. And we already have rules for a heavy in both age and edge. There iis a whole spec for heavy.

1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

That is not how your first post came across at all. And we already have rules for a heavy in both age and edge. There iis a whole spec for heavy.

I wasn't looking at a Spec. I was looking at a weapon that operates differently to the current weapons. The Heavy Spec's we have are all dependent on Agility, Higher Agility is a Better shooter, and ultimately ends up with a statline just like a marksman. This weapon was designed to be unusable by anyone who hasn't focused on Brawn. Variety is the spice of life.

Just now, Spartancfos said:

I wasn't looking at a Spec. I was looking at a weapon that operates differently to the current weapons. The Heavy Spec's we have are all dependent on Agility, Higher Agility is a Better shooter, and ultimately ends up with a statline just like a marksman. This weapon was designed to be unusable by anyone who hasn't focused on Brawn. Variety is the spice of life.

You might want to look at the heavy again then. Because they are not just agility. They are also brawn based. And have talents like burly

30 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

You might want to look at the heavy again then. Because they are not just agility. They are also brawn based. And have talents like burly

You can have a Heavy of Brawn 3 and Agility 4, spend 5 XP on Burly and you can handle any weapon short of an unmounted HRB. And that's if you don't spend 100 credits on a weapon sling. For that matter, you don't even have to have a brawn of 3, just a Brawn of 2 with one rank of Burly and a weapon harness (500).

It is very hard to actually make Cumbersome on a ranged weapon an issue, or to make Brawn an essential. This goes for both of you.

I'll read back over this thread and try to critique your suggestion. I think that I disagree with this, but mostly begrudgingly because if you make it easier to hit things with Auto-fire, there is no longer a trade-off to using it and it automatically becomes the most powerful weapon in the game. Lowering its damage might be enough to compensate, but I'm not sure.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

Thinking back on it more, I think that your original suggestion is pretty good, with a couple tweaks. The main concerns I have with it were actually pointed out to me by you regarding making Auto-fire automatically the best option. I would suggest something like this:
Blastech Mk.V Light Rotary Blaster Cannon: Dam 7; Crit 4; Range [Medium]; Auto-fire (only) Prepare 1, Cumbersome 3 (2 HP, 5 Encumberance).
Unique Qualities: Because of its incredibly high rate of fire, this weapon ignores the penalty for auto-fire. Because of its high rate of fire, this weapon is prone to overheating. The GM may spend 2 Threat or 1 Despair to have the weapon overheat; this damages the weapon 1 step and the wielder suffers 3 Strain.

Rather than adding automatic Success, I think that lowering the difficulty makes a little bit more sense. A talent that adds automatic success instead of damage (max of 2 appearances of that talent I think) might be a good option, it's just an issue of adding it into a tree (maybe instead of some ranks of Barrage?).

3 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I would suggest something like this:
Blastech Mk.V Light Rotary Blaster Cannon: Dam 7; Crit 4; Range [Medium]; Auto-fire (only) Prepare 1, Cumbersome 3 (2 HP, 5 Encumbrance).
Unique Qualities: Because of its incredibly high rate of fire, this weapon ignores the penalty for auto-fire. Because of its high rate of fire, this weapon is prone to overheating. The GM may spend 2 Threat or 1 Despair to have the weapon overheat; this damages the weapon 1 step and the wielder suffers 3 Strain.

This weapon has the major issue of being entirely inferior to a Heavy Blaster Pistol. You are still dependent on your ability to shoot to make use of the weapon, so the Heavy Auto, Prepared weapon has no real benefit. With this Light Rotary Gun you shoot with 1D Autofire Based on Agility, with a Pistol you shoot with 1D based on Agility. The only difference is the addition of Auto-Fire, which again is the problematic mechanic I want to avoid increasing anyway.

If you don't want Auto-fire, then what are you trying to do?

And this isn't that different from your original suggestion.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
17 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

If you don't want Auto-fire, then what are you trying to do?

And this isn't that different from your original suggestion.

Have the narrative benefits of Full-Auto i.e a shed load of bullets being hard to avoid even if the bullets are low damage (highly unrealistic, but action movie trope). Auto-Fire the mechanic is very much accurate, highly damaging bursts of gunfire in SWRPG/Gensys, I am looking to encompass Spray and Pray, which I feel is narratively different, and should therefore be mechanically different.

My intent is that it is easy to generate success, in fact nigh guaranteed - much like how Auto weapons in D20 Star Wars did half damage on a miss, while still maintaining the viability of the basic blaster rifle.

8 hours ago, Spartancfos said:

Have the narrative benefits of Full-Auto i.e a shed load of bullets being hard to avoid even if the bullets are low damage (highly unrealistic, but action movie trope). Auto-Fire the mechanic is very much accurate, highly damaging bursts of gunfire in SWRPG/Gensys, I am looking to encompass Spray and Pray, which I feel is narratively different, and should therefore be mechanically different.

My intent is that it is easy to generate success, in fact nigh guaranteed - much like how Auto weapons in D20 Star Wars did half damage on a miss, while still maintaining the viability of the basic blaster rifle.

There is suppressing fire and you can spread out autofire to hit multiple targets.

16 hours ago, Daeglan said:

There is suppressing fire and you can spread out autofire to hit multiple targets.

Auto-Fire as a mechanic already works well for what it does. However it isn't what I am looking for. Again, its a high damage accurate shooting mechanic, that depends on high player skill - as it is tricky to pull off - At least 2D and needing 2Adv. More of your John Wick than Jessie from Predator.

I cannot find any official mechanics for Suppressing Fire apart from the NPC ability Covering Fire.

Edited by Spartancfos

Suppressing Fire is a talent in the Vanguard tree. It allows the character and allies in short range to spend 1 Advantage on failed combat checks once per round to inflict 1 strain on the target per rank of Suppressing Fire. It's okay, but I don't think it's really all that useful.

I just discovered the Set Trigger Attachment, so I have decided this is definitely a perfectly functional idea for a Weapon Special ability - akin to some of the gear in Gadgets and Gear.

I am reserving it for special items requested by players as part of their Contribution Rewards. My campaign Contribution Rewards are based around the idea of you can requesting funding to buy yourself gear, or you can request weapons of particularly notable quality, which include special features like the above.

I would suggest the brawny character take a Spec (or 3) that possesses ranks in True Aim. When they Aim, in addition to the boost, they also upgrade their checks a number of times equal to their ranks in True Aim.

Deadly accuracy also adds damage equal to you ranks in the skill to damage for the first shot each round.

So for the brawny character a couple things. First If they are using such a big gun I would hope they have ranks in gunnery. Second most weapons this big have high encumbrance values anyway so it is not uncommon for your brawny soldier to have 3 or 4 brawn with 3 or 4 agility. Either way ranks of Gunnery should help tremendously with the difficulty. Third look at weapons or ways to add "blast quality" to some of these weapons. The great thing about this is often times when you miss you will miss with advantage which you can trigger on a miss to have it hit with the blast damage which often times does half the weapons base damage. I am pretty sure it cant be added to most auto fire weapons but these are thoughts. I do understand the spray and pray idea, but I always try to find a solution inside first.

Edited by tunewalker
2 hours ago, tunewalker said:

So for the brawny character a couple things. First If they are using such a big gun I would hope they have ranks in gunnery. Second most weapons this big have high encumbrance values anyway so it is not uncommon for your brawny soldier to have 3 or 4 brawn with 3 or 4 agility. Either way ranks of Gunnery should help tremendously with the difficulty. Third look at weapons or ways to add "blast quality" to some of these weapons. The great thing about this is often times when you miss you will miss with advantage which you can trigger on a miss to have it hit with the blast damage which often times does half the weapons base damage. I am pretty sure it cant be added to most auto fire weapons but these are thoughts. I do understand the spray and pray idea, but I always try to find a solution inside first.

So ultimately the Gunnery is part of the 'problem' (it's not a real problem when playing the game). He wants to play the Clone Trooper that is the Demolition Expert. The guy that brings down buildings, vehicles etc. So he has like 4 Ranks in Gunnery, and honestly that's plenty, the nature of Gunnery is that Sil vs Sil doesn't usually make it hard to hit targets - they are usually pretty big.

However he doesn't want to boost his Agi, he needs Int for Mechanics, and the idea of Strong and Smart is tied into his character (His Duty is Counter Intelligence, God Knows Why) When it comes to his speciality of blowing things up, he is fine, however he feels like dead weight when a Droid Phalanx closes in on the formation. Hence a weapon that shores up his weakness, whilst not over shining the Arc Trooper who regularly drops 26 Damage Shots.

We are playing Troupe Style, so he has got a tonne of XP, as this character is on the back-burner, but I do think mechanics adding a single Success that come with a hindrance are totally in line with what we see across Star Wars and Gensys, so I am more than happy to make a Weapon Special Quality that adds this.

5 hours ago, Spartancfos said:

So ultimately the Gunnery is part of the 'problem' (it's not a real problem when playing the game). He wants to play the Clone Trooper that is the Demolition Expert. The guy that brings down buildings, vehicles etc. So he has like 4 Ranks in Gunnery, and honestly that's plenty, the nature of Gunnery is that Sil vs Sil doesn't usually make it hard to hit targets - they are usually pretty big.

However he doesn't want to boost his Agi, he needs Int for Mechanics, and the idea of Strong and Smart is tied into his character (His Duty is Counter Intelligence, God Knows Why) When it comes to his speciality of blowing things up, he is fine, however he feels like dead weight when a Droid Phalanx closes in on the formation. Hence a weapon that shores up his weakness, whilst not over shining the Arc Trooper who regularly drops 26 Damage Shots.

We are playing Troupe Style, so he has got a tonne of XP, as this character is on the back-burner, but I do think mechanics adding a single Success that come with a hindrance are totally in line with what we see across Star Wars and Gensys, so I am more than happy to make a Weapon Special Quality that adds this.

Ya with 4 in gunnery he should be good most of the time. 2 agi 4 gunnery means he is rolling 2 yellows and 2 greens with the most common difficulty being average or hard (increased by 1 if he uses the auto fire ability). When using a big repeating rifle that is carried (like the minigun) it still uses gunnery but on personal scale and his high brawn means he doesnt have to worry about the usual 3 or 4 ranks of cumbersome that comes with it. In addition, as you stated his higher intellect means he can mod his own weapon out a bit better. Stuff like custom grips and the like would make it even easier to shoot and I believe there are even things that add the blast quality which can simulate the low damage spray and pray since if you miss with advantage you can still trigger the half damage blast.