Zemo and his Prevention

By i_has_a_flavour, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Rules question, if Zemo is engaged with a 'hero' does he prevent that hero from thwarting? Or that player? Meaning, does he prevent that playing from thwarting with allies/cards etc.

The discord has been talking about this a lot yesterday. Posting here for the chance of an official reply, plus thoughtful discussion!

My guess is that the hero can’t thwart and that you can’t play play cards with “Action: (thwart)”. But your allies can thwart and you can play cards which remove threat tokens without the keyword “thwart”.

17 minutes ago, player4273900 said:

My guess is that the hero can’t thwart and that you can’t play play cards with “Action: (thwart)”. But your allies can thwart and you can play cards which remove threat tokens without the keyword “thwart”.

Just for discussion, why would allies be allowed to thwart if you're not allowed to thwart?

In AHLCG, “You” is synonymous to “Investigator” to have a simpler wording. I suppose that’s the case here. They could have said “all characters you control can’t thwart” in the other case.

35 minutes ago, player4273900 said:

In AHLCG, “You” is synonymous to “Investigator” to have a simpler wording.

It still applies to all of your cards. If you have a treachery that says "You cannot deal damage," then you can't use Beat Cop to deal damage by arguing that the Beat Cop is technically a different person.

My assumption is that Zemo prevents a player from being able to thwart at all, until he is removed from play.

9 hours ago, i_has_a_flavour said:

My assumption is that Zemo prevents a player from being able to thwart at all, until he is removed from play.

Fortunately, Cap is capable of dealing 4 damage without any upgrades at all, so Zemo shouldn’t be too big a deal, even in solo play.

19 hours ago, i_has_a_flavour said:

That would be my interpretation too.

BUT, can you still thwart with Allies? Or does the 'you' part of that constitute what 'you' own or what 'you' have in play? Or does 'you' mean only the hero?

My interpretation is that you can thwart with your allies. Other people think you can’t. You have to wait the reference rulebook (or the FAQ) to have a definitive answer.

If you look at some ally cards, you can read : “ After Hulk attacks,” or “After Daredevil thwarts”. I presume that “you” is restricted to your cards in hand and your hero card. But maybe not ...

Edited by player4273900

You means you the player. You thwart usimg the allies. The wording for Daredevil is because it doesmt wamt to do 1 damage every time you thwart, it is only when Daredevil thwarts.

Compare to whwre it describes defending in the LTP. It says a player can defend ny either exausting thwir Hero card or an ally. You are defending with an ally.

7 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

You means you the player. You thwart usimg the allies. The wording for Daredevil is because it doesmt wamt to do 1 damage every time you thwart, it is only when Daredevil thwarts.

Compare to whwre it describes defending in the LTP. It says a player can defend ny either exausting thwir Hero card or an ally. You are defending with an ally.

Agreed, check the wording on the new protection card, Expert Defense, and it specifies “your hero”. If it was specific to Cap, it would say so.

On Discord, someone has shared an email where Caleb responds about Zemo. He has confirmed that “you cannot thwart” prevents the player from thwarting with his hero or from playing thwart Events. But allies can still use their THW.

Edited by player4273900
On 9/11/2019 at 4:15 PM, player4273900 said:

My guess is that the hero can’t thwart and that you can’t play play cards with “Action: (thwart)”. But your allies can thwart and you can play cards which remove threat tokens without the keyword “thwart” jiofi.local.html tplinklogin is it down .

It still applies to all of your cards. If you have a treachery that says

Edited by yatricerro