Thoughts on Cap?

By gokubb, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

The steam didn't show much, but we did get our first look at Cap. Like many have speculated, he's got straight 2 stats and an ally cost reduction ability. I was surprised Zemo was the nemesis, but makes sense.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but the best news I got out of it was that the other aspects all get a card every pack.

Yep all looks awesome. I think releasing cards from all 4 aspects in each pack makes sense. Something for everyone in each pack and the card pool keeps growing (although 1 new card is negligible).

I was alternatively thinking the ‘spare’ cards would be to finish playsets from the pre-con deck.

Also I think people need to get away from the idea of skipping packs if they include a hero you’re not interested in. Sure, people will do it, especially casual players/collectors, but basically you buy each pack and sometimes it contains 60 cards you care about and sometimes it contains 45.

Interesting! Looks cool. To me he seems like he’ll be strong out of the gate, but I expect he won’t ramp up as far as some of the others.

I’m also surprised about Zemo - I thought for sure he’d get a Scenario pack.

Edited by FearLord

Well to be fair nemesis and side modules still give a villain alot of exposure in the game, and there can be only so many of these villain packs considering the wide roster of characters to choose from.

I kinda like the idea that Zemo is always lurking in the shadow when you are playing Cap, which probably makes him even more relevant. I really like the way nemesis work in this game.

I think it's smart that they give each aspect something even if it doesn't go into the deck in the box. Otherwise if someone loves a particular aspect to the exclusion of others then they will have to be very patient. Yeah it's a minimal change each time to the off aspects, but any change gives you something to think about and may shake up old decks.

He looks solid. Happy with the inclusion of other aspect cards even though that's not how I thought they would go, and not particularly bothered by their being reprints in the deck either. All in all I'm very happy with today's news.

Only downside is still no release date, which makes me think it's going to be late October.

Edited by iJiminy

Granted, I haven't seen the stream yet, but the single aspect cards, are they single copies or are they full deck building counts?

You get 3x of a card for each other aspect, and 3x of a basic card that's not in the pre-built deck.

32 minutes ago, iJiminy said:

He looks solid. Happy with the inclusion of other aspect cards even though that's not how I thought they would go, and not particularly bothered by their being reprints in the deck either. All in all I'm very happy with today's news.

Only downside is still no release date, which makes me think it's going to be late October.

Did they specifically mention reprints? I didn't listen to the Q&A after.

1 minute ago, gokubb said:

Did they specifically mention reprints? I didn't listen to the Q&A after.

They did, reprints have been confirmed as being a thing. I believe they said they wont be in every deck though.

I've been interested in the game since the announcement, but being able to play cap has upped my anticipation.

Ugh, reprints? Gonna have to reconsider this.

2 hours ago, gokubb said:

The steam didn't show much, but we did get our first look at Cap. Like many have speculated, he's got straight 2 stats and an ally cost reduction ability. I was surprised Zemo was the nemesis, but makes sense.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but the best news I got out of it was that the other aspects all get a card every pack.

I mean, leadership cap being able to potentially thwart for up to 21+ if he has 3 allies and avengers assemble; and that’s a Solo game.

That mat art in their preview is awful. May as well have dug up some old Liefeld anatomically absurd Cap. Don't know why they thought that was art to showcase.

Image result for liefeld captain america anatomy

It's beautiful *sniff*

1 hour ago, gokubb said:

That mat art in their preview is awful. May as well have dug up some old Liefeld anatomically absurd Cap. Don't know why they thought that was art to showcase.

I have to disagree, I like the mat art choices.

And more importantly, the hero and shield art are phenomenal. (I’m a little more meh on the Rogers side, but you can’t win them all).

So, looking at the numbers, both in the set and in the various subsets, there are some things to note:

There are 9 distinct cards in Cap's Signature cards. I guess there will be 1 Ally, there are at least 2 Upgrades (the Shield and one more with 2 copies), at least 2 Events with 2-of (Shield Block and Shield Toss). Between the probable Ally and Shield Block, there are 2 different cards: 1 2-of, 1 3-of, probably Events. Between Shield Toss and said shield, there will be 2 1-of cards, probably either Support or Upgrade.

The 17 Leadership cards are 11 different ones. If we guess that Avengers Assemble! is the first Event, then there are 4 Allies. After that there are 6 different cards making up the next 10. That's either 2 3-ofs and 4 1-ofs; or 1 3-of, 2 2-of and 3 1-of. I suspect that Power of Leadership will be in with 2 copies.

There's only 8 Basic cards. That is most probably 2 3-ofs (including Honorary Avenger) and 2 1-ofs, which I reckon will include either Energy or Strength.

Oh, and there's probably 59 cards total in the pack, made up of 34 different cards, of which maybe 3 or 4 will be reprints of 2 or 3 different cards.

I still can't believe they're doing reprints. It's lazy and devalues the product. You don't need to reprint cards to make a deck playable out of the box. If you want more 2-resource cards, just make new ones, or since if you're playing the game, someone already owns all the neutrals, just use their's.

1 minute ago, Supertoe said:

I still can't believe they're doing reprints. It's lazy and devalues the product. You don't need to reprint cards to make a deck playable out of the box. If you want more 2-resource cards, just make new ones, or since if you're playing the game, someone already owns all the neutrals, just use their's.

Those aren't reasonable options. The first has problems with deck-building, since now you've increased the availability of 2-resource cards, which they appear to want to keep something of a cap on. The second isn't playable out of the box.

6 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Those aren't reasonable options. The first has problems with deck-building, since now you've increased the availability of 2-resource cards, which they appear to want to keep something of a cap on. The second isn't playable out of the box.

But SOMEONE HAS TO OWN A SCENARIO, AND THE TOKENS, AND SO SOMEONE THEN HAS TO HAVE NEUTRALS.

But anyway, are the 2 resource cards really that necessary to build a deck? They're good, but are they necessary?

I can't fathom why people are defending this. At the very least, they should increase the number of cards in the box to make up for it.

Edited by Supertoe
20 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

But SOMEONE HAS TO OWN A SCENARIO, AND THE TOKENS, AND SO SOMEONE THEN HAS TO HAVE NEUTRALS.

But anyway, are the 2 resource cards really that necessary to build a deck? They're good, but are they necessary?

I can't fathom why people are defending this. At the very least, they should increase the number of cards in the box to make up for it.

I agree and it's been argued a bunch. Reprints at this point are just lazy card design and a bad deal for the players. It's negative value to a player with everything already and it's zero value add for a player looking to play the deck right out of the box, because the inclusion/exclusion of those reprints doesn't make a deck playable or not.

Also, let's be totally honest. What percent of people are going to be playing decks right out of the box, not own the core set, and refuse to deckbuild? That's gotta be a really, really small percentage. In exchange, the majority of your fanbase is hurt by that. Not cool FFG.

1 hour ago, Supertoe said:

Also, let's be totally honest. What percent of people are going to be playing decks right out of the box, not own the core set, and refuse to deckbuild? That's gotta be a really, really small percentage.

I think people overestimate how populous the proportion of people this keen and discussing on boards are.

I bet the number of people who buy a hero pack and use it as is at home with their buddies is larger than those who deck build.

5 minutes ago, Brekekekiwi said:

I think people overestimate how populous the proportion of people this keen and discussing on boards are.

I bet the number of people who buy a hero pack and use it as is at home with their buddies is larger than those who deck build.

Really though? I imagine most people would deckbuild, given that most LCGs require that, and most people playing this are coming from other LCGs

2 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Really though? I imagine most people would deckbuild, given that most LCGs require that, and most people playing this are coming from other LCGs

You're making a lot of assumptions. I don't think we actually have the data to verify that.

I would say those who assume everyone will do summoner wars-type deckbuilding is making even more assumptions, consdering that goes against every single LCG this company has made. Just saying...

Also, you can't play she-hulk and iron man together using precons. That alone will drive people to at least swap out aspects.

Edited by Supertoe