New Player - Basic Question on "When Revealed"

By AllWingsStandyingBy, in Rules questions & answers

Hi, brand new player.

I have a basic question that I can't seem to find an answer to in the rulebook:

For Encounter cards like Treachery that have a " When Revealed " effect, does this effect trigger when the card is dealt and flipped as a Shadow card on an attacking enemy? Or are cards dealt and flipped as Shadow cards basically treated entirely as blank unless there is a Shadow Effect portion?

e.g. if "The Necromancer's Shadow" (Treachery) is dealt and flipped as a Shadow card, do all tapped characters suffer 1 Damage even though this not a Shadow Effect?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up: Is Unexpected Courage like the best card ever? And why does the Core Set only have 1 copy...? 🤣

26 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Or are cards dealt and flipped as Shadow cards basically treated entirely as blank unless there is a Shadow Effect portion?

^This. And ONLY the Shadow Effect is triggered.

And yeah, Unexpected Courage is OP. And because it's so OP there's only one copy of it. You can always proxy for more copies.

Edited by stimpaksam

Stimpaksam’s correct! When a card is dealt as a shadow card, you only trigger the text below the little bar and skull.

6 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Follow-Up: Is Unexpected Courage like the best card ever? And why does the Core Set only have 1 copy...? 🤣

Yes, and so you buy more core sets from FFG!

3 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Stimpaksam’s correct! When a card is dealt as a shadow card, you only trigger the text below the little bar and skull.

Yes, and so you buy more core sets from FFG!

The used lot I bought included two... didn't realize I'd need three for any deck with a Spirit Hero... hah.

Just take a card you would not use anyway like Brok Ironfist and pretend it is Unexpected Courage.