Idea for Trinkets House-rule

By Kjeld, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Only being able to equip one trinket per hero per mission means that many of the trinkets won't see a lot of play. For example, I'm running a campaign with Legolas and Gimli and they, as a party, have collected 5 total trinkets (Helmet, Mark, Book, Cakes, and one other I can't remember off the top of my head). With my play style, two of them make the most sense (the Book and the Cakes), and I probably will not play with any of the other three during the campaign. This seems sad to me, and will likely only become more of a problem as future expansions add more trinkets (Villains of Eriador has already added a scepter and necklace).

So I was trying to think of a balanced house rule that would let the heroes experiment more with the trinkets (and also do something once the depletion tokens run out sometime mid- to late-game), and I came up with the following idea:

Allow heroes to use an action to switch trinkets during their turn (i.e. equip a different trinket). This may be too much of an advantage for the heroes, so I'm considering two additional caveats. First, that any trinket that is unequipped cannot be re-equipped in the same mission. Second, that the newly equipped trinket comes into play with one less token.

I was wondering if others have thoughts on this? Are there other balancing ideas or suggestions that you might have?

How about instead of costing an action, you spend inspiration equal to the amount of depletions you want the new trinket to have? (within the max, of course)

Good idea! I think I'll just have to try it out and see if it seems to work well in the game.

Burglars can swap trinkets with one of their cards.