Recruitment Drive

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

17 hours ago, Rabobankrider said:

@Bellona , glad to see you are interested! That quote does apply to the Revan's War game as well. What it means is that upon creation when you take the usual starting spec, you can take a universal spec with no additional cost.

Thank you for the reply.

Just to be certain that I've understood correctly: I could hypothetically take Padawan (a Jedi career specialization from Rise of the Separatists), followed by Padawan Survivor (universal specialization from Dawn of Rebellion) at no extra cost, then start paying normal cost for the third and following trees (30+, 40+., etc.)?

Does the freebie only apply to a universal specialization?

Also, does anyone feel that there are specific holes in the group's line-up? Mechanic, loremaster, healer, sabre-monkey/sabre knight, etc.?

(I do understand that Sinceragape is going for the pilot role.)

Since there are actual Jedi running around in this era to train the younglings, initiates, and padawans, do we get the mentor discount on our Force powers?

(Scratch that last question, I just re-read the thread and saw that it was okay to use for creation xp and the first 150 earned xp.)

Edited by Bellona
On 9/16/2019 at 12:30 AM, Sincereagape said:

Decided to roll a Mirialan male: Seeker - Navigator/?? to fill the missing pilot roll of the team. He has just returned from the outer rim and has seen the devastation they have caused.

(You probably already know this, but just in case you don't ...)

In preparation for making Navi in your PbFP, I discovered while poking around the various trees that Navigator has some good overlaps with Fringer (an Explorer tree). Specifically, Fringer's Master Starhopper talent costs only 15 xp, instead of Navigator's version which costs 25 xp, and the rest of the Fringer tree has some other useful stuff.

2 hours ago, Bellona said:

Also, does anyone feel that there are specific holes in the group's line-up? Mechanic, loremaster, healer, sabre-monkey/sabre knight, etc.?

(I do understand that Sinceragape is going for the pilot role.)

We have a Twilek Seer Force Wizard in Oola/ @SithArissa

I am the Chiss Sabre-Knight Shien Expert Kazz'Oro'Kuruozo/ @Shlambate

We have a Droid Investigator/Racer in K1S0 @Edgehawk

We have A Mandalorian Assassin/Martial Artist in Zalen/ @Von3679

So Dedicated Healer would be open, same goes for Loremaster, or Mechanic, or whatever you want to play!

Like you said Sinceragape will be the pilot.

@Bellona , that is correct yes. It does only apply to universal specs, as the intention in those games is that the free specs represent the background training of the characters. Eg. in the Cyclone Squad game, a medic may take recruit as their free spec to show their basic training, allowing them to get involved in fighting without taking too much from the primary focus. In the Revan's war game, specs like force sensitive emergent, padawan etc shows the time spent in the temple. If you want, non force specs are available to force users, so long as they have some basic ability in the force to show they are jedi.

As a quick note, @LaGouache is looking to possibly join as a soresu defender/armourer.

4 hours ago, Rabobankrider said:

@Bellona , that is correct yes. It does only apply to universal specs, as the intention in those games is that the free specs represent the background training of the characters. Eg. in the Cyclone Squad game, a medic may take recruit as their free spec to show their basic training, allowing them to get involved in fighting without taking too much from the primary focus. In the Revan's war game, specs like force sensitive emergent, padawan etc shows the time spent in the temple. If you want, non force specs are available to force users, so long as they have some basic ability in the force to show they are jedi.

As a quick note, @LaGouache is looking to possibly join as a soresu defender/armourer.

Thank you for the additional clarification.

"... as a Soresu/Armourer" ... scratch off one of my concepts! :)

This is not a problem - I have several ideas still. The current primary idea is the Jedi career (generalist) plus Artisan and one of the technique specializations, with a Mechanics/Lore focus in general.

(I already have a dedicated Healer in another PbFP and in a tabletop game, so I'm trying to avoid going in that direction yet again.)

Edited by Bellona
Spelling ...
36 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Thank you for the additional clarification.

"... as a Soresu/Armourer" ... scratch off one of my concepts! :)

This is not a problem - I have several ideas still. The current primary idea is the Jedi career (generalist) plus Artisan and one of the technique specializations, with a Mechanics/Lore focus in general.

(I already have a dedicated Healeer in another PbFP and in a tabletop game, so I'm trying to avoid going in that direction yet again.)

@Bellona If you would like to try the pilot, I wouldn't mind giving a 'dedicated' or hybrid healer a shot.

Edit: That way @LaGouache - Can fill the mechanic role with his soresu/armorer. ( I have a soft spot for Lagouache for some reason, probably because he was the first to join Bounty Hunting Doesn't Pay).

Edited by Sincereagape
1 minute ago, Sincereagape said:

@Bellona If you would like to try the pilot, I wouldn't mind giving a 'dedicated' or hybrid healer a shot.

That's a kind offer!

If you're sure, then I might try a Force-using pilot/mechanic hybrid using Manipulate and possibly Enhance. Probably still using Artisan, but then I'll take a look at the Starfighter Ace spec too, and possibly Navigator and/or Fringer too.

(I've yet to throw myself into the vehicle rules, so this might be the opportunity to do so.)

2 minutes ago, Bellona said:

That's a kind offer!

If you're sure, then I might try a Force-using pilot/mechanic hybrid using Manipulate and possibly Enhance. Probably still using Artisan, but then I'll take a look at the Starfighter Ace spec too, and possibly Navigator and/or Fringer too.

(I've yet to throw myself into the vehicle rules, so this might be the opportunity to do so.)

Feel free to take on the pilot role for Revan's War. However, I prefer Lagouche to take the primary role of the mechanic if that is where he will be going with the Soresu Defender/Armorer. (Armorer is geared for mechanic).

If he's going in that direction then I'll most likely drop the Mechanics focus (aside from a basic pro forma one skill rank/"yes, she knows how to fix basic damage on her own ship").

Armorer is also a good tank so it's a great addition to the party.

It is looking like you may be all full at this point, but if there is still an opening I have a couple of ideas for either or both games.

Clones can take a free Universal Specialization? Cool. I was building a Soldier / Medic at home, but I think I'll add Padawan Survivor then.

😉

I am sorry guys but I think I won't join the Revan's War since I don't think I will have enough time and prefer to focus on games I am already in. But thanks and the soresu/armorer spot is free by the way now !

On 9/18/2019 at 11:17 AM, Xcapobl said:

Clones can take a free Universal Specialization? Cool. I was building a Soldier / Medic at home, but I think I'll add Padawan Survivor then.

😉

I can now imagine some conversations between a GM and a player along these lines ...

GM: "You're playing a Jedi who's active prior to the Clone Wars, so why do you have the Padawan Survivior universal tree?"

Player: "My Jedi survived being a padawan."

or

GM: "Your clone soldier has all the obvious Clone trees, including the Retired Clone Trooper universal tree, but why do you have the Padawan Survivor universal tree?"

Player: "Not only did my clone character survive the Clone Wars, but he also survived having to deal with the shenanigans of his Jedi general's padawan."

;)

Edited by Bellona

On a more serious note, I'll be looking at the Armourer/Mechanics possibilities.

Sorry for the delay folks, @Xcapobl , as interesting as that would be, unfortunately clones are limited to none force specs 😛

@vandarl , there is a space for you in either if you want.

@LaGouache , fair enough, if you change your mind let me know.

@Bellona , good choice, I look forward to the result.

@Rabobankrider Thanks!

For the Revan's War game I am considering a Healer/Alchemist type build. I haven't tried anything like that before and it wouldn't step on anyone else's limelight. Sort of a chance to try something different and stretch and learn.

For the Cyclone Squad I am considering a Clone Pilot build to round out the squads abilities and because I haven't tried any vehicular combat/movement types so far. Not only do you get someone that can transport the squad and provide mobility when needed during missions but mixing in the hotshot pilot mindset with the clone focus seems interesting.

If those sound workable I will get you some sheets roughed out.

If Bellona creates the armor mechanic build...I’ll resume the role of the Pilot Seeker - Navigator/Arbiter or Ataru Striker.

Sounds good to me.

Out of curiosity, does the Revan's War group have a "face" character? It sounds like one will be needed in the current situation ...

Edited by Bellona

Armatta, my Jedi-Armourer character, is almost ready for Revan's War.

Here is the MediaFire link to the first draught: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gc9l71fk6ohei86/Armatta_Tano%2527bi.pdf/file

Here is the SWSheets link: http://swsheets.com/c/ijhc9wtlv-armatta-tano-bi

Here is the Hard Perception check for the free lightsabre attachment (if I understood that post correctly):

Hard Perception for free lightsabre attachment : 2eA+3eD 1 success, 1 threat
a-s-a.png a-a.png d-th.png d-th.png d-th.png

I'll have to check the details of the available attachments to see what Armatta would choose. (I will edit the result into this post when I've done so.) I went with the Magnetic Weapon Tether (Keeping the Peace).

Here is the Average Mechanics check to make a lightsabre hilt:

Avg. Mechanics check to make lightsabre hilt w. Inventor, JMT : 3eP+1eB+2eD 1 failure, 4 advantage
p-a-a.png p-a-a.png p-a.png b-a-a.png d-th-th.png d-f-th.png

Result: 1 failure, 5 Advantages (including Jedi Multi-Tool).

:o

We try again:

Avg. Mechanics check to make lightsabre hilt w. Inventor, JMT : 3eP+1eB+2eD 3 successes, 1 advantage
p-a-a.png p-s.png p-s-a.png b-s-a.png d-th-th.png d-th.png

Result: 3 Successes, 2 Advantages (including Jedi Multi-Tool).

2 Advantages spent on Disguised result (Endless Vigil p. 87): +1 Setback to other characters' checks to identify the lightsabre hilt as such while it is not ignited.

That was better. By the way, how often are we allowed to repeat this particular skill check? Until we get something that we like, or until the first successful check?

Edited by Bellona
Forgot the Jedi multi-tool Advantage. Added results of Advantages, free attachment.

Finished my Miralan Seeker Ataru Striker/Navigator - Pilot on pencil and paper. Will convert to SWsheets when I can!

Very poor roles on LS creation. No attachments and 1 success and nothing else on the mechanics check. Are we able to chose our crystal color? I’m thinking orange if that color is not taken!

Background - something along the lines of being a striker ataru sent to the outer rim. Developed some outdoor skills but mainly came to be a pilot/navigator. Has seen the effects of the mandalorian a on outer rim planets He is coming back to corusant to see how the council will handle everything...definitely leaning towards being a Revanchist

he has a secret love with a female in the outer rim (has broken the vow of celibacy)

@Sincereagape No one has Orange, I have Blue Oola is Purple and well the other two aren't Jedi. So feel free to make an Orange Saber.

Are we allowed to craft an alchemical talisman?

(I'm thinking of a Protective Amulet from Unlimited Power.)

@vandarl , both of those sounds good to me! For the pilot, what are you looking at vehicle wise, fighter, troop carrier, speeder, mix? Also as a quick point, things like alchemy are frowned on by the jedi, so that may impact the character. That of course doesn't mean that you can't play an alchemist, but some npc's may take issue with it ic. If you're ok with that, feel free to go ahead with the concept :)

@Bellona , there isn't a dedicated face in terms of specs, though @Edgehawk and @Shlambate have currently been the closest to a face in the party. The first successful check is the one that sticks for the lightsaber creation. The character sheet looks good, just needs a backstory and you'll be good to go! You can do the check to create the talisman, but bear in mind that jedi tend to look down on alchemy, so I will also need an average stealth check with a setback to see if the character can get away with it.