Transmogrifier's Rebels (update 12/28/20)

By Transmogrifier, in Painting

I painted up my Rebel Veterans in a Lah'mu scheme

GyDlXJ0.jpg

62iI2MT.jpg

R0AzBWm.jpg

AYBngTu.jpg

Hr4tKYF.jpg

ZOhKNsj.jpg

75Q4DDu.jpg

B7Y4B4f.jpg

Edited by Transmogrifier
update 12/28/20

These are absolutely wonderful!!!

Dunno what Lah'mu is but they look like a whole squad of Kenner Hoth Gear Han Solo's. I approve mightily.

Love them! I had originally picked lahmuu for my forces but couldn't find a black soil color that made me happy.

16 hours ago, Transmogrifier said:

I think I'm in love with Captain Paul F. Tompkins over here :D

Edited by Polda
5 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

Love them! I had originally picked lahmuu for my forces but couldn't find a black soil color that made me happy.

You can always mix colors :)

I used a 1:1 mix of Vallejo Game Color Heavy Charcoal and Vallejo Model Color German Camo Dark Brown as the base coat.

Then a drybrush with Vallejo Game Color Cold Grey

And finally Nuln Oil straight from the pot to shade it.

The base rim is Heavy Charcoal

13 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Dunno what Lah'mu is but they look like a whole squad of Kenner Hoth Gear Han Solo's. I approve mightily.

It's the planet the Ersos are living on at the beginning of Rogue One

YUeKs6G.jpg

I love the dark volcanic rock juxtaposed with the green of the vegetation. Do you know where they filmed those scenes? I tried to emulate it for my Krennic base with black paint and a little black sand.

NiqV5ye.jpg

Edited by BigBadAndy

Iceland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_One

Hjörleifshöfði seems to be where the most distinctive scenes were filmed

Rebel Troopers joining the fight

f8n91Uh.jpg

On 9/2/2019 at 1:48 PM, Transmogrifier said:

I painted up my Rebel Veterans in a Lah'mu scheme

GyDlXJ0.jpg

62iI2MT.jpg

R0AzBWm.jpg

AYBngTu.jpg

Hr4tKYF.jpg

ZOhKNsj.jpg

75Q4DDu.jpg

B7Y4B4f.jpg

Really nice colors to pair with the bases. They both stand out and blend in at the same time. Great work!

AT-RT!

COMZiAr.jpg

em9iBVC.jpg

fLjzDKN.jpg

I finished up a second squad of troopers, Luke and the Landspeeder a while back but hadn’t gotten around to getting pictures

GJqSyvbr.jpg

71ZnTc0r.jpg

All of your minis are nice, but that landspeeder is really striking! Nicely done!

Thanks! It was the one I was most excited to paint so I put it at the end of my queue to keep me motivated.

I was aiming for something that read clearly as a 'sporty' civilian speeder but still had enough of a subdued color scheme to make it not an improbable choice to push into military service. My initial plan was for yellow racing stripes in pairs on both the hood and the 3 "wings", but that ended up looking very Fallout and the double racing stripes didn't look that Star Wars, so I reworked it to this. I also changed my blue mix and reduced the amount of metallic mixed in.

bSu9xsO.jpg

I concur. I like the idea of a sporty speeder, and the stripes on the engine pylons aren't bad at all, but the asymmetric triple stripe is much better than the centered pair. And yes, the yellow-blue looks very "Fallout." 😁 Good call on that!

Did you magnetize the riders & weapons?

On 1/5/2020 at 9:44 PM, SFC Snuffy said:

Did you magnetize the riders & weapons?

I didn't bother, these are mostly display models that I will probably only get on the table a few times a year, so I'm mostly going for looks rather than practicality.

They look great!

Rebel Commandos joining the fight!
JuqSCQK.jpg

FHWaaCe.jpg

For these guys I knew I wanted to do a camo scheme that matched the environment but still had enough contrast with itself and the environment to not make the models disappear or look muddy. I had considered trying to emulate the Endor camo but with a different color palette, but that sort of diffuse pattern would be hard to do with just a brush. For hard-edge camo, it's hard to pick shapes that look authentic but also don't look like sloppy brush work (since many early camo patterns were actually created with brushes). So after a bunch of consideration, I decided to go with a pea-dot pattern, but to steer well clear of anything that looked too "historical".

Excellent work mate.

👍 actually, we are painting the same things at the same Time, but for fighting in a different planet/Moon.

I do love your color scheme, the Camo scheme for the commando has bien well chosen: it is clear this unit belong to the main army, but also easy to distinguish it when on the Battlefield.

Time for a terrain interlude. I liked the idea of the FFG Downed AT-ST kit, but the price tag felt high for a terrain piece so I decided to pick up the 1:48 Ban-Dai AT-ST model kit instead (it's about half the price) and try to build my own. I have assembled maybe a dozen scale vehicle model kits in my lifetime and probably about the same number of wargaming kits and this was hands down the nicest kit I've ever worked on - everything fit together the way it was supposed to with tolerances so tight it barely requires any glue. It felt bad to destroy such a nice kit. I would definitely recommend checking them out.

fP9AkJ7.jpg

O4R8tZo.jpg

I also picked up Leia over the weekend. After working on a lot of full units back-to-back, it was nice to do a single character. I followed the movie scheme but with brown leather instead of black and with darker, more saturated colors to follow the rest of my models. This was the first time I bothered trying to do eyelashes and I was really happy with the results vs. the amount of extra effort it required.

OFFbmub.jpg

1 hour ago, Transmogrifier said:

Time for a terrain interlude. I liked the idea of the FFG Downed AT-ST kit, but the price tag felt high for a terrain piece so I decided to pick up the 1:48 Ban-Dai AT-ST model kit instead (it's about half the price) and try to build my own. I have assembled maybe a dozen scale vehicle model kits in my lifetime and probably about the same number of wargaming kits and this was hands down the nicest kit I've ever worked on - everything fit together the way it was supposed to with tolerances so tight it barely requires any glue. It felt bad to destroy such a nice kit. I would definitely recommend checking them out.

fP9AkJ7.jpg

O4R8tZo.jpg

Well done!

Also, your downed at-st still have all the weapons attached to it. It make it more "freshly destroyed" compare to the ffg which has no more weapons on it (probably looted by rebels scum to attach to a x34 , 🤫 )

I figured if an AT-ST wreck was worth fighting over as an objective it would need to be mostly intact. The Rebels would want to capture it to scavenge weapons or maybe intel that had been left behind in the crew's haste to escape. Similarly, the Imperials wouldn't bother fighting over a burnt-out wreck - they would view the equipment as worth recovering/defending only if it was critical to them or would help the Rebels in some way. The story I made up in my head to help my decision making was that this AT-ST was on patrol, got ambushed and crippled, the crew escaped but left some important intelligence behind. The Rebel team that ambushed the AT-ST crippled it but got driven off before they could approach the wreck. Now both sides are back in force to try and recover what they can. This lead to a couple decisions: 1) the damage to the AT-ST isn't catastrophic (it's localized to the knee joint on one leg) and avoids the crew compartment 2) the paint scheme doesn't have a lot of rust and any weathering I did include was placed to indicate an upright orientation vs. its current wrecked state.