New to game with a Rules Question

By Payens, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Hello everyone,

A friend and I just started this game the other day and I have a rules question.

For the card "Desperate Defense" it has Guard 1 and Rest 2. But I do not see anything on the card saying that you have to discard it to take those actions? So does that mean you can do that every turn? Or do you discard it to use one of those it gets shuffle into your deck and you can then pick it back up in the Rally phase and then Guard or Rest Again?

You do need to discard per the Guard and Rest rules. See the back page of the rulebook under "keywords."

The starting cards that use any of the keywords have clarifications in brackets to remind you what the text for the abilities is.

The experienced cards assume that you have experience with the game, and at that point no longer require reminder text to understand how the abilities work.

@Majushi is, of course, correct. It's caused more harm than good though. This is a very frequent question and all who've asked cited the same reason for asking.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Hi, I'm not sure if this directly ties in with the initial question but maybe it does. Can you please clarify the second part of the Pathfinder card Honed Instinct ? It says that 'Your skills with sprint have strike 2 and hide .' So I'm assuming it means that while Honed Instinct is prepared, all of my other prepped cards with the sprint keyword now have the addition of the keywords strike2 and hide . But I can still only activate ONE keyword on each card by discarding that card. Correct?

2 hours ago, The Dude Abides said:

Hi, I'm not sure if this directly ties in with the initial question but maybe it does. Can you please clarify the second part of the Pathfinder card Honed Instinct ? It says that 'Your skills with sprint have strike 2 and hide .' So I'm assuming it means that while Honed Instinct is prepared, all of my other prepped cards with the sprint keyword now have the addition of the keywords strike2 and hide . But I can still only activate ONE keyword on each card by discarding that card. Correct?

correct

Just follow this logic : if any keyword needs to be "discarded" when activated, you cant use the same card to sprint + strike or hide during the same "momentum" :)

6 hours ago, shade666 said:

correct

Just follow this logic : if any keyword needs to be "discarded" when activated, you cant use the same card to sprint + strike or hide during the same "momentum" :)

Did you mean "moment?"

To put it another way, if you prepare a card once you can't discard it twice.

Momentum is latin, old word for moment indeed (just a way of talking)

But as a game, we should better use "phase" or "action"

Indeed, you simply cant discard a single card for more than a single action. If you use discard for the text skill, you cant discard it for a keyword (and the contrary)

Some cards will tell you something more precise : "when you use the xxx keyword from THIS card, discard the card to add another effect, etc" -> it is one of the only situation where you can mix a keyword and a text from the same card, but this is really explained in that text ! :)

Edited by shade666
31 minutes ago, shade666 said:

Momentum is latin, old word for moment indeed (just a way of talking)

In English it has a different meaning (though also derived from Latin, apparently):

"the quantity of motion of a moving body, measured as a product of its mass and velocity."

Interesting tangent dudes. Anyway, I think slim shade hit it on the head for me about the unique mixing of the wording, it doesn't feel the same as the other cards, so I wasn't sure it was treated with the same results.

I appreciate the discussion!