Fan Continuation of the Game

By Averross, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

15 hours ago, Funky_4LOM said:

I’m bummed we never got 4-LOM or Zuckuss.

Yoda would be cool, but not too sure how he would work with the game.

Ewoks and Scout Troopers for sure.

I'm with you. I really wish they would have chosen Zuckuss and 4-LOM instead of 0-0-0 and BT-1. Yes, I understand those are Empire figures, but I could have gone without Jawas, personally, and there are plenty of Empire units that could have replaced them.

5 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I like that calculator. It's a little unweildy, but it seems to work as i go through it. I think it would have been the best approach to fix skirmish using a fixed formula, rather than just shifting numbers around until there majority agrees they are happy with it.

I'm working on a stupid-big conversion of Descent 2nd Edition to Imperial Assault rules using this calculator. I ended up streamlining it into a bloated Google Sheet ... but at least it's easy to use!

... maybe I oughta convert that to one for IA? (it'd be trimming out some of the variables)

3 minutes ago, thinkbomb said:

I'm working on a stupid-big conversion of Descent 2nd Edition to Imperial Assault rules using this calculator. I ended up streamlining it into a bloated Google Sheet ... but at least it's easy to use!

... maybe I oughta convert that to one for IA? (it'd be trimming out some of the variables)

That's funny. I'm working on a conversion of IA to a system that uses Doom dice and doesn't have surges or accuracy. It also doesn't have defense dice. Black dice characters have between 1-3 blocks naturally built in, or white dice characters have a dodge icon, which means they just roll the white dice to see if they dodge the attack, otherwise they do nothing. I've tested it using Aftermath about a dozen times and I'm happy with the math now.

Andrew Navaro never answered one of my questions of whether the app will be opened up to allow the community to write their own scenarios and a hub for them to be downloaded.

If they don't, I might start thinking about writing a rival app instead....

48 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

Andrew Navaro never answered one of my questions of whether the app will be opened up to allow the community to write their own scenarios and a hub for them to be downloaded.

If they don't, I might start thinking about writing a rival app instead....

odds of a custom campaign builder are looking slim.

I'd say just jump on it and kick one out.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:16 AM, thinkbomb said:

I'd say just jump on it and kick one out.

Wow, a rival app where you could custom design and share campaign missions would be amazing.

I should clarify my request - make the "custom campaigns" also available for PvP campaigns, not Player v App only. ^^;;;

On 9/1/2019 at 4:40 AM, Majushi said:

I would aim your ire at FFG, not Hasbro.

but, that aside; fan created content has been around for a while. It’ll just have to be what left now.

Spoken like someone who has no understanding of why FFG killed this game in favor of a true combat game aimed toward hobby elitists rather than casual gaming fans.

Regarding your aside, I’ve been working on custom ideas for the many characters produced by Wizards of the Coast during their years with the license. And if you have the Legion pieces, you can use them too since even though IA is out of scale by a whopping millimeter, IA as you know uses squares and doesn’t care about base or minis sizes.

11 hours ago, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

Spoken like someone who has no understanding of why FFG killed this game in favor of a true combat game aimed toward hobby elitists rather than casual gaming fans.

Regarding your aside, I’ve been working on custom ideas for the many characters produced by Wizards of the Coast during their years with the license. And if you have the Legion pieces, you can use them too since even though IA is out of scale by a whopping millimeter, IA as you know uses squares and doesn’t care about base or minis sizes.

:eye roll:

I’m so happy that you’re here to tell me what i do or do not understand.

ffg are well within their rights to cut their products to avoid competition with another line.

their method of communication with a player base who have spent thousands on their product line is the issue I have with them in this case. Hugely disrespectful in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Majushi said:

their method of communication with a player base who have spent thousands on their product line is the issue I have with them in this case. Hugely disrespectful in my opinion.

It's a lack of communication as well. I thought I had an affinity with FFG, but after what they did here with IA, and seeing what they've done with other product lines, I'm just about done with them. I might get "Outer Rim" if I can pick it up on sale or second hand. I'm fairly certain my Armada collection is done with "Rebellion in the Rim" (neither of the new ships are interesting to me and I'm not holding out hope they bring anything good from the EU).

Back on track:

Sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks. Real life has prevented me from testing the RPG style in-between mission option that was first brought up by @Spidey NZ earlier.

I haven't forgotten about it, but it will probably be a few more weeks to a month before I start a new campaign and can get some proper testing done. We should be starting "Return to Hoth" at that time, which really lends itself to building the Haven settlement that can be a staging point for the heroes.

20 hours ago, Majushi said:

:eye roll:

I’m so happy that you’re here to tell me what i do or do not understand.

ffg are well within their rights to cut their products to avoid competition with another line.

Except IA doesn’t really compete with Legion. I own both. Legion alienates players right out of the gate if they can’t or won’t take the time to assemble the models. I’m about as novice as they come when it comes to assembling let alone painting and I know plenty of people who love Star Wars and love Star Wars games but won’t even look at Legion because of the elitist constraints. Who wants to be snubbed and mocked for not having hobby painting skills? No one I know.

34 minutes ago, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

Except IA doesn’t really compete with Legion. I own both. Legion alienates players right out of the gate if they can’t or won’t take the time to assemble the models. I’m about as novice as they come when it comes to assembling let alone painting and I know plenty of people who love Star Wars and love Star Wars games but won’t even look at Legion because of the elitist constraints. Who wants to be snubbed and mocked for not having hobby painting skills? No one I know.

It isn't really about competing for market share with players.

(although spending many hundreds on one game or 2x many hundreds on two games is obviously an issue many players probably face. I certainly don't think I can afford both)

It competes in production and development resourcing. FFG don't have the manpower and production capacity to make two very similar games.

And IA's design is further complicated by mission balance for campaign vs figure balance for skirmish. (Just look at how unbalanced ToL is to see they really did not give AF at the end)

Wait...

what are we arguing about here?

Legion is not for me, but I have no problem with it existing or people like you liking it (and IA or not IA. that's your call to make).

It comes back to how the loyal IA playerbases were treated with respect to communication. That's it for me.

1 hour ago, Majushi said:

It isn't really about competing for market share with players.

(although spending many hundreds on one game or 2x many hundreds on two games is obviously an issue many players probably face. I certainly don't think I can afford both)

It competes in production and development resourcing. FFG don't have the manpower and production capacity to make two very similar games.

And IA's design is further complicated by mission balance for campaign vs figure balance for skirmish. (Just look at how unbalanced ToL is to see they really did not give AF at the end)

Wait...

what are we arguing about here?

Legion is not for me, but I have no problem with it existing or people like you liking it (and IA or not IA. that's your call to make).

It comes back to how the loyal IA playerbases were treated with respect to communication. That's it for me.

Ah that makes sense. Yeah they have limited production resources and the demand is growing constantly.

For the record, I didn’t realize we were arguing. 🙂

4 hours ago, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

For the record, I didn’t realize we were arguing. 🙂

That is almost certainly the internet removing inflection and body language from our discourse.

I'm certain I've read more into what you've said than intended, and I apologise for that.