Community Expansion: Rancor - WIP

By Uchidan1, in Star Wars: Legion

The grab: attack seems a little bit weird, I suggest something of the likes of

Grab: attack (If an enemy trooper is at range 1 of this unit, perform a speed-1 move with the enemy trooper toward this unit. Then, is it is in base contact with this unit, perform a free attack action.

Bring back the Chomp attack from Heroscape!

37 minutes ago, ResoluteHusky said:

The grab: attack seems a little bit weird, I suggest something of the likes of

Grab: attack (If an enemy trooper is at range 1 of this unit, perform a speed-1 move with the enemy trooper toward this unit. Then, is it is in base contact with this unit, perform a free attack action.

Thanks for the feedback! The inspiration for GRAB is pretty much Force Push, but instead of Range 1, it's speed 1 so that it guarantees an Engagement. Range 1 won't always do that.

Also didn't want it to only be trooper units, I wanted it to be able to grab vehicles as well.

1 hour ago, Uchidan1 said:

Thanks for the feedback! The inspiration for GRAB is pretty much Force Push, but instead of Range 1, it's speed 1 so that it guarantees an Engagement. Range 1 won't always do that.

Also didn't want it to only be trooper units, I wanted it to be able to grab vehicles as well.

Is the only objective to defeat the one rancor or will the two sides also pick the three Battle Cards? If the single rancor is the only thing then there will be problems. At Armour 2, a single side can down the rancor in 1 to 2 rounds especially with the Republic that could take it down in two to three activations.

I would recommend that the rancor be an impediment to the normal objectives, so that while the two sides are trying to do their missions the rancor interferes, and the side that downs the rancor gets a deduction of one VP. Or maybe pick only one objective, like Recover The Supplies and the supplies have to be placed within range 1 of the rancor, and the rancor wants to protect/keep those supplies (it’s sees the supplies as its possession). The rancor will chase down the closest unit with a claimed supply and will claim the supply with an attack on that unit and bring the supply back to the Center.

Also as mentioned above, one rancor can be downed easily and once the rancor moves to one side, he would likely stay on that side, meaning only one player will be effected. So I would add a second rancor and it must stay on the opposite side of the table because they’re territorial.

These are just suggestions and none of them need be listened to, but it is an interesting idea. Just trying to be helpful. 😉

ja, Ja, JA!!!!!

more, More, MORE!!!

Rancor, Wampa, Sandvolk!....alles!!!!

Now we need a Rakghoul plague.

latest?cb=20150824212556

17 hours ago, Uchidan1 said:

Community Expansion #2!

This time the it's the gigantic Rancor ! Fully intended to have a Scenario attached of "Down the Rancor" (working title) where the player who delivers the killing blow gets an amount of points. So you'll want to damage the Rancor, but not too much or your opponent could steal it from you.

As always I would love your feedback on this " Community Expansion "!

For those who haven't seen the first community expansion it can be located on the website below!
https://unlimitedpower.video.blog/2019/08/21/tusken-territory/

Rancor - Copy.jpeg

Maybe White defense with surge. It seems weird that a Rancor has a better save than an ATST.

18 hours ago, Uchidan1 said:

Then maybe something like

Grab: attack (If an enemy unit is at range 1 of this unit, put the enemy unit in base contact with this unit. Then, perform a free attack action.

You have to beat the rancor to get to the real objective...bring the rancor keeper back to your deployment zone for cake and cookies!

Doesn't one of the bunkee objectives start you in a box and you have ro fight your way out? The rancor could be stuck in the box with your commander, his bodyguard unit and his/her favorite operative and they all have to fight their way out. Whoever makes it out alive gets to use their command cards

10 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

Maybe White defense with surge. It seems weird that a Rancor has a better save than an ATST.

I was going for a powered up Dewback. The Dewback has Red Defense Dice, so it only makes sense for the Rancor to have it as well. The Dewback has Armor 1, but since a Rancor is double it's size, Armor 2 seemed to fit.

I think the Dewback, and even the BARC have red defence dice because the riders are wearing armour. Each of the riders off of their mounts, have red dice. The Tauntauns only have white dice because the riders usually have white dice. It’s odd, but I think that’s what they’re going by... or I could be totally wrong. 😁 🤪

12 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

I think the Dewback, and even the BARC have red defence dice because the riders are wearing armour. Each of the riders off of their mounts, have red dice. The Tauntauns only have white dice because the riders usually have white dice. It’s odd, but I think that’s what they’re going by... or I could be totally wrong. 😁 🤪

This could be true! However, Taun Tauns don't have "tough skin" either and going by Wookiepedia it does state that Rancor had "Armored hides that could withstand Blaster Fire". just trying to make the Rancor comparable with the Dewback. I guess It could just have Armor 2 and White Dice with Surge...but then when being compared to the Dewback (even with the rider) it seems weird. Right? Hmmm...

18 minutes ago, Uchidan1 said:

This could be true! However, Taun Tauns don't have "tough skin" either and going by Wookiepedia it does state that Rancor had "Armored hides that could withstand Blaster Fire". just trying to make the Rancor comparable with the Dewback. I guess It could just have Armor 2 and White Dice with Surge...but then when being compared to the Dewback (even with the rider) it seems weird. Right? Hmmm...

Really, I don’t think the Rancor would last long without red defence dice, so I think it’s understandable. I was just commenting about the existing units. And why can’t the rancor be as tough as a tank? What about the Zillo Beast? It’s tougher than several tanks.

For flavour, hOw would you feel with keyword FEAR: DROOL At the end of your rally phase, all units at range 1 gain 1 suppression token.

11 minutes ago, GhengisharnIV said:

For flavour, hOw would you feel with keyword FEAR: DROOL At the end of your rally phase, all units at range 1 gain 1 suppression token.

😆 That’s good, but I’m not sure why people would be afraid of the drool, when the creature is terrifying as it is. 😁 That ability would also slow units down, so they can’t run very fast from the Rancor unless panicked and they generally won’t get an aim, to more easily/quickly take down the rancor. It’s a good idea, but maybe Keyword “Terrifying”?

Yes it is good. Bit of a joke u see...Drool, flavour...hungry. Rancor “suppressed” (but not to helplessness or fleeing like the squealing guard) even Luke with it”s drooling maw and roar...it was going to eat him after the Gamorrean...the DROOL should rule...salivating indicating voracious appetite. Context...It is Star Wars so Ido not know who is meant to be afraid of drool specifically. Cannot help you there. Fear is already in use on an upgrade somewhere and the name of the creature and evil intent (of a bad tempered, bitter captive creature) sound like a dark side attribute x so induces a feeling of fear like Vader upgrade...

what would make drool terrifying? Slipping on it and permanently breaking a hip...

On 8/31/2019 at 12:14 AM, GhengisharnIV said:

I do really like the "FEAR" keyword for the Rancor, however due to space, it's not gonna fit unless I had an upgrade to him.

For those interested: Here is the website to download the files.

1 hour ago, Uchidan1 said:

I do really like the "FEAR" keyword for the Rancor, however due to space, it's not gonna fit unless I had an upgrade to him.

For those interested: Here is the website to download the files.

You could just put the keyword on the front and leave the description in the campaign/objective write up.

With a Rancor appearing on Operative Luke’s 2 pip, I wonder if it means we may get something like that in an expansion pack at some point?

The website isn’t working anymore ☹️

On 8/29/2019 at 4:17 PM, TauntaunScout said:

Bring back the Chomp attack from Heroscape!

Non unique, dead! Love that game! Or it was something along those lines.

i love it i also love the key word fear.

Love this expansion. Played it a couple of times. Overall, everything works out great. A couple of ideas/clarifications:

- Make the health 8 instead of 10 OR give it weak spot: front

- The rancor doesn't engage, but does get into melee allowing grabbed units to flee and not have to withdraw

- If the rancor starts the turn in melee and ANY unit within range 2 performs an action, the rancor attacks the unit in melee (ie, nearest unit) as he doesn't have to move

- Idea to make him real interactive: if you shoot the rancor after he has performed his actions, flip over his order token

I'd give him double the health but a white save without a surge and give him straight up armour.

Also no impact but critical 2 or 3.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:30 PM, Uchidan1 said:

It still won't guarantee engagement. Just because a unit is within speed-1 doesn't meant the unit leader is within speed-1.