Homebrew - Doji Warrior Poet

By The Guz, in Houserules

I made this for a friend who really loved the concept of the Warrior Poet on 4th edition, decided to share the idea with you,hope you like it and if you don't, tear it apart constructively...
The school curriculum is not ready yet but wanted to know what do you think about the School and Master Techniques.

Doji Warrior Poet [Courtier - Bushi]
Unlike many other families in the Empire, the Doji consider pursuit of the blade and the arts of equal value, and the Doji are more likely to produce individuals gifted in both domains than perhaps even the other Crane families.
Rings - +1 Air, +1 Water.
Starting Skills (Choose 5) - +1 Composition, +1 Courtesy, +1 Design, +1 Fitness, +1 Martial Arts [Melee], +1 Meditation, +1 Performance
Honor - 50
Techniques - Kata, Rituals, Sh ūji
Starting Techiniques -
Kata - Iaijutsu Cut: Rising Blade
Sh ūji - Cadence

Fan and Sword (School Technique) - Once per scene when you would suffer Fatigue or Strife you can relocate Fatigue to Strife or Strife to Fatigue up to twice your school rank.

Cutting into the Soul (Master Technique) - Once per scene during a Duel or Skirmish where you Seize the Moment you roll 2 extra Ring Die and Kept 1, you may add a number of kept ring die equal to your Performance skill set to either opportunity or success.

Starting Gear - Ceremonial Robes, Daisho, Caligraphy Kit, Traveling Pack, Pony or Assistant.

15 hours ago, The Guz said:

Fan and Sword (School Technique) - Once per scene when you would suffer Fatigue or Strife you can relocate Fatigue to Strife or Strife to Fatigue up to twice your school rank.

I think this is a very cool idea. Without a default +Earth (which is appropriate for a courtier/bushi hybrid), both Endurance and Composure will be a bit low, but being able to shift between the two mitigates that a lot.

I feel that 'once per scene' feels a bit weak - at rank 1 you're essentially mitigating one lousy 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 result in an entire scene and you're taking fatigue to do it (or vice-versa), when (for example) a worldly ronin would ignore one on each and every check with their preferred skill, or a doji diplomat's once-per-scene magics a 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 out of nowhere over and above the maximum dice they can normally keep and at no cost.

Because it's not tied to a skill, it shouldn't be unrestricted, but it feels like something you should be able to do more than once.

15 hours ago, The Guz said:

Cutting into the Soul (Master Technique) - Once per scene during a Duel or Skirmish where you Seize the Moment you roll 2 extra Ring Die and Kept 1, you may add a number of kept ring die equal to your Performance skill set to either opportunity or success.

Not sure I follow this one is supposed to do. You roll 2 extra ring dice and 1 extra skill dice? and keep 2 bonus dice? and then add a bunch of ring dice set to 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 and 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 ?

very few school abilities - even master abilities - or indeed anything else, give you dice set to 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 . Adding 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 is one thing, and adding bonus successes that help if you've already passed is fine, but as a rule the system never gives you the opportunity to generate enough successes to 'auto-pass' a check.

If you want to potentially generate a shedload of both 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 and 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 , but not hand them on a plate, maybe let the player change a number of results including 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 into results including 1521230551_ExplosiveSuccessSmall.png.2cc . that might be significant enough to require a void point spend itself, instead of just riding on the back of a seize the moment for free, though.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Play a Doji at the kakita duelist school = warrior poet

I like fan and sword. The capstone ability doesn’t make sense to me though.

I don’t personally like abilities that are restricted to 1/scene, like Magnus said. I think the ability would be pretty slick if, instead of 1/scene, you could only transfer strife to fatigue if your strife exceeded your fatigue. And vice versa. Perhaps reduce the transfer amount to (school rank) instead of twice that amount.

Either way, they’re badass dualists.

Thanks for the Insight Magnus, english is not my first language and sometimes I struggle to express my ideas correctly.
Fan and Sword feels weak restricted and pretty useful unrestricted, I like Andy sugestion in how to manage that.

In regards to the Master Technique the idea was that you could change your kept dices to succeses or oportunities using as cap "Performance" in adition to roll +2k1 Black Dices using a Void Point if that is more clear.
A previous idea was to give the +2k1 Black Dices using a Void Point and letting the character shitft 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 to 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 and vice versa, again capping at Performance Rank.