Pyrokinesis: home brew help

By Dsylosis232, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Hey guys, I’m a long time player/gm. I’ve been looking at adding a new unique force power to my clone wars campaign, that being pyrokinesis. However I’m having a hard time brewing the control upgrades, specifically making them different so that they aren’t a carbon copy of unleash. I know full well that I could just use unleash but I’d quite like to keep it separate from that. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Dsylosis232

Control: spend 2 to increase burn rating by 1

Control: Spend 3 to hit another target within range

Mastery: commit 3, as an action you may make a normal range attack using the original force result along with the new roll (a.k.a you only roll on the force once and that roll is sustained for as long as you like) i picture this like dumbledore in the cave after drinking the liquid pain

These are great! Thanks for the input! I had envisioned something similar to the Dumbledore moment as a control upgrade but a mastery upgrade makes more sense.

See Unleash/Protect

Say your character hurls Green Flames or Black Flames or Purple Unicorns that fart Rainbows to hurt people

Done.

On 8/25/2019 at 3:53 PM, Decorus said:

See Unleash/Protect

Say your character hurls Green Flames or Black Flames or Purple Unicorns that fart Rainbows to hurt people

Done.

Thanks for the advice but op said he was looking for options not copying protect/unleash

14 hours ago, Rean411 said:

Thanks for the advice but op said he was looking for options not copying protect/unleash

Maybe, but one of the things explicitly covered by the Developers within the rules themselves is that if an ability you want to use is already covered by an existing Force power, Learn that Force power . This is explicitly covered in Unlimited Power , in the Expanded Force Powers chapter starting on page 86; specfically, it's covered in the section titled Freeform Force Use and Existing Force Powers . on page 90. To quote:

This sort of freeform Force use should not take the place of existing Force powers . If a player describes an action that replicates the effect of a Force power , the GM could either let the player know their character does not possess the expertise yet (and suggest the player invest the proper XP to show their character's pursuit of this ability!. or possibly allow them to achieve similar but lesser results, and only with a combined check of at lea st Hard (PPP) difficulty.

Likewise, earlier in the chapter, there's the section on Individualizing Force Powers , on page 88, which says,

The Force and how a character manifests their particular affinity for it can influence not only what abilities the character acquires, but how those apply. The same power might appear very different when used by different characters. Force powers aren't quite as standardized as they might seem from the rules. There have been many Force traditions throughout history, each learning how to harness the Force in different ways and to varying ends. Different schools of Force use might teach very differently but arrive at similar results, at least in terms of game mechanics. Even within a particular Force tradition , such as that of the Jedi, users put their own spin on similar techniques. In fact, some Force users are identifiable by their unique abilities.
When it comes to differentiating different schools of Force use or the idiosyncrasies of individual users, the descriptionprovided by the GM or player is usually enough to distinguish powers. Variations might be subtle or significant. While one player might describe the Unleash power as bolts of crackling energy, another character might manifest the ability in the form of telekinesis that drops or hurls objects at the target.
In rare cases, a "reskin· of an existing power, even with the upgrades available, might not adequately represent the sort of ability a player wants for their character. In this Situation. a GM might decide to apply the new ru les for flexible Force powers or free form Force use presented on this page and page 90.

Pyrokenesis fits squarely as an individualization of Unleash , and, as such, would use that Power.

5 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Maybe, but one of the things explicitly covered by the Developers within the rules themselves is that if an ability you want to use is already covered by an existing Force power, Learn that Force power . This is explicitly covered in Unlimited Power , in the Expanded Force Powers chapter starting on page 86; specfically, it's covered in the section titled Freeform Force Use and Existing Force Powers . on page 90. To quote:

Likewise, earlier in the chapter, there's the section on Individualizing Force Powers , on page 88, which says,

Pyrokenesis fits squarely as an individualization of Unleash , and, as such, would use that Power.

I ave been corrected. Thank you very much. I am very new and haven’t ha$ more than a practice session in this game and that was more edge. I am always willing to be corrected by those who know the books better than me.